Introduce Yourself HERE!
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 5 Average
13-08-2012, 05:46 PM
RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
(13-08-2012 05:10 PM)KittenInTheSkyy Wrote:   I'm a 16 year old from the Midwestern United States. I always asked about religion but it's only been in the past year or so I've declared myself an atheist.

Welcome, you find lots of teens here.

Not me, I'm an old fart.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
13-08-2012, 05:54 PM
Introduce Yourself HERE!
Meow?

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
Find all posts by this user
13-08-2012, 09:34 PM
Hello, my name is Ben and I am 15. I'm currently in the de-conversion process, so I guess you could regard me as a "closet atheist". I'm a sophomore in high school, and I love physics and biology!

I like cats too.
13-08-2012, 10:24 PM
Introduce Yourself HERE!
Greetings, Mr. Awesome!

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
14-08-2012, 04:00 AM
Hi! Im 22 and has allways been atheist/agnostic. The closest I have gotten to an unbiased belief was a UFO year when I was around 15. Then reason took a hold of me again. I like drawings and making ambient soundscapes. Feel free to take a look in my signature. This forum looks good! Smile

http://soundcloud.com/torsktunga | http://andreas.inghe.se/
14-08-2012, 04:26 AM
Hello - I am new here. 43yo married-with-kids male person. I like hiking, motorcycles and science fiction. I was raised very religious - the all loving, all forgiving 70's Jesus Movement, turn the other cheek, the holy spirit is alive and lives in you non-denominational evangelical variety of Christianity. My parents have always been deeply involved in the church - missionaries, counselors, full fledged ordained ministers, with degrees and such.

I started struggling with it as far back as high school, I now realize. Nothing clicked with me - none of it seemed real. Not as real as everyone around me was saying or pretending it was. I felt I must be doing something wrong, or they were all liars. I grew very embittered, but could not put my finger on anything. I couldn't let go of my cynical mind enough to reach that plane of happiness it seemed like they were all on. I always felt uncomfortable in the uber-Christian milieu, embarrassed even. And so I for the most part turned it off inside my head.

Eventually (probably while converting to on-paper Catholicism via marriage) I came to a place where I accepted the trappings of religion as an elaborate metaphor. Something you choose to believe, like a way or a path you choose to live your life by. Or a lens. The symbols and rituals had meaning because you gave them meaning. (I still feel that way, really.) I was comfortable with that concept, played along, kept the fact that I was not buying that it was supposed to be "literal" to myself.

Then my kids started to be exposed to some of the concepts I grew up with, and it started to bring back quite a few negative emotions, quite unexpectedly. That, and the de-muddling effects of giving up alcohol, forced me to sit down and think it out. I realized that the fundamental concept that Christianity is based on - Original Sin - is what I disagree with most.
I was tired of feeling guilty for being human.

So... Here I am.
14-08-2012, 08:55 AM
Introduce Yourself HERE!
Aw, no edit privileges? I was thinking I should shorten to "hi" and move the memoir to it own thread ;-) .
14-08-2012, 09:00 AM
Sup, Gaff? I'm a few years older, but we're of the same generation so I can relate to some of your early "trauma." Welcome to this place of refuge!

(I think you have to have a few posts under your belt before you can edit. Otherwise, I think you're subject to a 30 minute limit or some such thing).

~Izel
14-08-2012, 10:29 AM
Hello all I am an athiest who grew up in a deeply religious (Baptist) family.

My brother is still a minister in the Southern Baptist world.

While I certainly find it impossible to believe in the supernatural I believe that one of the biggest problems we face as a species is the seemingly never ending question of what happened at T=0?

Psalm 137:9 - Happy shall he be, that taketh and dasheth thy little ones against the stones. --- I don't think so, nay, I know so!
14-08-2012, 10:58 AM
(14-08-2012 10:29 AM)1nsp1rat10n Wrote:  Hello all I am an athiest who grew up in a deeply religious (Baptist) family.

My brother is still a minister in the Southern Baptist world.

While I certainly find it impossible to believe in the supernatural I believe that one of the biggest problems we face as a species is the seemingly never ending question of what happened at T=0?

Well, yeah, but physicists are working on the question of whether or not there even was a T=0.Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
Thread Closed