Introduce Yourself HERE!
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 5 Average
22-08-2012, 05:01 PM
RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
The name's Aaron.

I grew up as a Christian. My grandpa was a popular pastor and missionary before he died of prostate cancer in 2008. My mom claims to have seen an angel when I was a tot. It even landed her in a psych ward for some time.

Despite having a pastor and an angel seer in my family, it did not prevent me from asking questions as a child when something didn't make sense. I was initially shocked and denounced, when exposed to opposing arguments(which I didn't know existed as a kid) when a class mate said he didn't believe in God, or when The Simpsons implied there was no God and opened me up to the fact that there are other religions which I didn't know of at the time.

I'm a proud atheist today. I've been one since about 04 or 05.

Big Grin

"Agnostics are just atheists without balls"- Stephen Colbert
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes neonamco's post
22-08-2012, 05:17 PM
G'day Zac, I wish you luck in our endeavours, although if you are talking about the US when you say "this country", I think you'll have a long wait before you can work toward your aspirations.

Anyway, nice to meet you, good luck.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
Find all posts by this user
23-08-2012, 08:56 PM
Hi,
My name is Ashley and I'm a 20 year old college student. I was raised Roman Catholic and most of my family are the "Christmas and Easter" Catholics. My sister is an agnostic, but I don't know to many other nonbelievers so it's nice to have a place to meet other people who think like me.Thumbsup
23-08-2012, 09:00 PM
Welcome Oxiate Smile.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
24-08-2012, 04:55 AM
(22-08-2012 05:01 PM)neonamco Wrote:  The name's Aaron.

I grew up as a Christian. My grandpa was a popular pastor and missionary before he died of prostate cancer in 2008. My mom claims to have seen an angel when I was a tot. It even landed her in a psych ward for some time.

Despite having a pastor and an angel seer in my family, it did not prevent me from asking questions as a child when something didn't make sense. I was initially shocked and denounced, when exposed to opposing arguments(which I didn't know existed as a kid) when a class mate said he didn't believe in God, or when The Simpsons implied there was no God and opened me up to the fact that there are other religions which I didn't know of at the time.

I'm a proud atheist today. I've been one since about 04 or 05.

Big Grin
My name's Aaron as well, congrats on your deconversion.

Oh, and welcome to the board. Wink

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
24-08-2012, 05:26 AM
An atheist since 12 yrs old, when my father told me that he was a realist, l admitted it to myself a little later on when l finally decided that there was no such thing as hell, an aspect that many have trouble with. Now 70 yrs old and living amongst the religious in the Philippines, where there may be something like 4% admitted atheists, is not a problem for me and l do enjoy discussing the religious beliefs of family and casual acquaintances with no fear of rejection. No-one has shot me yet and l have no fear of losing my job as l am a self-employed writer and photographer, neither of which have earned me any income so far.
Kit. Brit expatriate.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

24-08-2012, 10:33 AM
Hey Kit,
Welcome to TTA! We're glad to have you join the fun!

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
24-08-2012, 10:37 AM
Howdy all.

Name's Chester. A brief insight to my religious background:

• Raised by my Dad to be a Christian (Mum's an atheist).

• Went to a couple of churches, mainly Holy Trinity Brompton (Church of England) which is one of the bigger churches in London and frequented by rich white people, as well as many apologists who give sermons (anyone know of Nicky Gumble? He runs the Alpha Course, which is like Jesus Camp for adults).

• Became an agnostic/spiritualist person age 16/17. Became an atheist/skeptic age 18 (now 19, since this July).

My experience with forums is limited to Blizzard's WoW forums. I'll try not to let old habits get the better of me (I wasn't a troll, but I could be quite snarky - however that was probably a result of WoW forums being filled with trolls and whining twelve-year-olds). Otherwise, I always make an effort to be concise and constructive with my posts.

Look forward to chatting with you all!
[+] 1 user Likes caffeinesoul's post
24-08-2012, 11:32 AM
(24-08-2012 10:37 AM)caffeinesoul Wrote:  Howdy all.

Name's Chester. A brief insight to my religious background:

• Raised by my Dad to be a Christian (Mum's an atheist).

• Went to a couple of churches, mainly Holy Trinity Brompton (Church of England) which is one of the bigger churches in London and frequented by rich white people, as well as many apologists who give sermons (anyone know of Nicky Gumble? He runs the Alpha Course, which is like Jesus Camp for adults).

• Became an agnostic/spiritualist person age 16/17. Became an atheist/skeptic age 18 (now 19, since this July).

My experience with forums is limited to Blizzard's WoW forums. I'll try not to let old habits get the better of me (I wasn't a troll, but I could be quite snarky - however that was probably a result of WoW forums being filled with trolls and whining twelve-year-olds). Otherwise, I always make an effort to be concise and constructive with my posts.

Look forward to chatting with you all!

Welcome, Chester.

We really frown on 'snarky' here. Laugh out loadLaugh out loadLaugh out loadLaugh out loadLaugh out load

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
24-08-2012, 11:44 AM
Introduce Yourself HERE!
Hello all

My name is Mike. and I am just interested in the very profound arguments. I am a historian, and political scientists, and I have been very annoyed by the rise of "Christians" as a loaded political word. It was not always so. So I am interested in dialog and logical debate.

Mike
[+] 1 user Likes CKgreen44's post
Thread Closed