Introduce Yourself HERE!
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 5 Average
28-08-2012, 04:23 PM
RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
Hello everyone. I have been a lurker here for quite some time and thought it was time to say hello. I have been an atheist since Jr. High and a doubter since I realized that Noah's Ark was nonsense(around 7 Smile). I grew up as a Jehovah's Witness in a family that took it all too serious. I was lucky though, because my parents divorced when I was five. Normally that would not be a good thing, but in this case, my father was a closet atheist. So anytime I was with him he would teach me the birds-and-bees of science. Like him I have a curiosity that can not satisfied, and a smart-ass mouth that is hard to filter.
Living with bible fundies also gave me an interesting inside knowledge of the power of delusion and ignorance. So all was not lost. Thumbsup So I hope to be able to add to the conversation when I can.
Find all posts by this user
28-08-2012, 07:38 PM
Hi all! I am Josh, have been an overt atheist for about 20 years though I wouldn't consider myself too in your face about it (short of a FSM decal on my car and a be-footed PADDLE fish.) I tend to be more of a live-and-let-live atheist. While I think the world would be a better place without religion I don't berate those who believe they are better off believing - whatever makes them a good person. I don't mind a good argument but draw the line once it crosses into vitriol (on either side.)

So, there I am in my atheistic nutshell.
29-08-2012, 06:24 AM
Hi I'm Iolanthe!!
I am an atheist surrounded by an in law family of Christians and feel oppressed!!!
It would be great to chat with like
Minded people , refreshing to say the least
My husband , whom I adore, has just lost his grandpa and is lost so he is on a bit of a journey to find himself, so he is reading the bible after advice from his family! Well what else would they say? I can't join in and feel quite an outcast, though they have not yet directly questioned me, my father in law did ask my husband what my beliefs ate he said 'she says it's all a delusion' eek!!! True but not really what I would've
Liked him to say, ESP to his 87 recently bereaved gran !! He then accused me of 'pitting out on purpose'my book 'god is not great' by the loo for his dad to 'see' wowzer!!!
So hi everyone !!!!
[+] 1 user Likes Iolanthe's post
29-08-2012, 07:38 AM
Hello everyone. Have been on the fence/agnostic for a few years now. Recently came to the conclusion that I'm an Atheist. I feel that if somehow there is a God and it makes itself known at some point then I will have to accept that, but I can't logically accept it now. It's been hard because I have been raised Christian, and live in the heart of the Bible Belt. If any friends and family ask me I will be truthful, but I'm not just going to come out to everyone. If I did that I literally think they would try to do an intervention, lol. It's great to know I can come here and speak my mind though. Thanks for having me!!!
29-08-2012, 07:59 AM
(29-08-2012 07:38 AM)wormfood Wrote:  Hello everyone. Have been on the fence/agnostic for a few years now. Recently came to the conclusion that I'm an Atheist. I feel that if somehow there is a God and it makes itself known at some point then I will have to accept that, but I can't logically accept it now. It's been hard because I have been raised Christian, and live in the heart of the Bible Belt. If any friends and family ask me I will be truthful, but I'm not just going to come out to everyone. If I did that I literally think they would try to do an intervention, lol. It's great to know I can come here and speak my mind though. Thanks for having me!!!
Welcome to the board and thanks for sharing your story. I have yet to come out to anyone but my close friends. Undecided

Your username made me laugh for a while. It reminds me of this J&A sketch. (0:07 - 0:29)

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
29-08-2012, 08:30 AM
(29-08-2012 07:59 AM)Vosur Wrote:  
(29-08-2012 07:38 AM)wormfood Wrote:  Hello everyone. Have been on the fence/agnostic for a few years now. Recently came to the conclusion that I'm an Atheist. I feel that if somehow there is a God and it makes itself known at some point then I will have to accept that, but I can't logically accept it now. It's been hard because I have been raised Christian, and live in the heart of the Bible Belt. If any friends and family ask me I will be truthful, but I'm not just going to come out to everyone. If I did that I literally think they would try to do an intervention, lol. It's great to know I can come here and speak my mind though. Thanks for having me!!!
Welcome to the board and thanks for sharing your story. I have yet to come out to anyone but my close friends. Undecided

Your username made me laugh for a while. It reminds me of this J&A sketch. (0:07 - 0:29)

Thumbsup Very funny. I'll have to watch more of their videos.
29-08-2012, 09:22 AM
Big Grin RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
Hi everyone!

My name is Vinnie. I live in Miami, FL. I'm a graphic designer and web developer. I used to be a practicing, bible thumping Jehovah's Witness. An image of John the Baptist played by Charlton Heston comes to mind when he said, "repent!" I was just like that, zealous and proud to be serving Jehovah God ... until I went to college and learned about the real world.

I de-converted when I was 21, right before I started my life and I consider myself lucky because I could have been someone else had I not taken careful consideration for my beliefs. I still question my beliefs, I'd like to say courageously, and ask questions about matters I don't understand.

I'm pleased to join this forum. It's been years since I joined a forum and I'm excited to get aquatinted with other courageous people. Smile
29-08-2012, 11:25 AM
Hi,

First of all I have to admit, I feel like a huge weight getting off my chest whenever I see places like this website. I hail from the Middle East, I am of Syrian Nationality; where sectarian violence is at its finest..

I am not sure if I was caught dealing with this forum, could mean I could get penalized by the local authorities for spreading the message of blasphemy or such as that is not my intention (in case they see this). Though I have to speak my mind and meet like minded people as my head is about to explode..

This ME we live in is crazy; the wet dream of religious fanatics and politicians alike..

Damn, I got a lot to get out of my mind but I wont spill it all over here..

I assume I will meet a lot middle eastern atheists that are in hiding.. And with this wave of political revolutions; perhaps its time to be represented and accepted among society.. Which is easier said than done as in some cases it could mean getting killed or jeopardizing lives of others..
[+] 4 users Like Brave New Arabia's post
29-08-2012, 11:52 AM
I've been slacking tremendously on this thread and I apologize.

Welcome to everyone.
Make yourself at home, play with people's minds, and mainly just have fun.
I'm here if you need a friend, enemy, whatever.
PM me.

Byez.

"You don't disappoint me.... I think your much braver than you may believe."
bemore

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes legendoflink's post
29-08-2012, 01:23 PM
(29-08-2012 11:25 AM)Brave New Arabia Wrote:  Hi,

First of all I have to admit, I feel like a huge weight getting off my chest whenever I see places like this website. I hail from the Middle East, I am of Syrian Nationality; where sectarian violence is at its finest..

I am not sure if I was caught dealing with this forum, could mean I could get penalized by the local authorities for spreading the message of blasphemy or such as that is not my intention (in case they see this). Though I have to speak my mind and meet like minded people as my head is about to explode..

This ME we live in is crazy; the wet dream of religious fanatics and politicians alike..

Damn, I got a lot to get out of my mind but I wont spill it all over here..

I assume I will meet a lot middle eastern atheists that are in hiding.. And with this wave of political revolutions; perhaps its time to be represented and accepted among society.. Which is easier said than done as in some cases it could mean getting killed or jeopardizing lives of others..

Hey BNA! Welcome. We're glad to have you here. There have been a few folks from your side of the world join us from time to time. It will be great to have your perspective on life, the universe, and everything. Feel free to jump in to the threads and join the fun!

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
Thread Closed