Introduce Yourself HERE!
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 5 Average
29-08-2012, 01:40 PM
RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
I'm a college student who is forced to a Christian college. I'm not quite an atheist, but I love The Thinking Atheist podcasts. I guess that's all there is to me, love a good discussion and those who use logic and can think on their own.
Find all posts by this user
29-08-2012, 01:44 PM
welcome traceparcet, this is a good place to vent.

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
29-08-2012, 04:14 PM
Hello i am t
29-08-2012, 05:30 PM
Hello fellow heathens! My name is Michael. I am from Hawaii and have been an Atheist since 2011. I am a survivor of AML (Acute Myeloid Leukemia) which I had back in 2008. A major reason why I became an Atheist or even had a chance at becoming one was that I was not allowed to have any physical contact with crowds so I was kept from going to church so I did not have the constant reinforcement for believing in God from others and another major part of my apostasy was the internet, especially TTA videos on youtube and other YouTubers. I am the only atheist in the house.

"I used to be a believer like you,[/font]"
29-08-2012, 07:13 PM (This post was last modified: 30-08-2012 10:36 PM by GirlyMan.)
(29-08-2012 05:30 PM)ArrowToTheKnee777 Wrote:  Hello fellow heathens! My name is Michael. I am from Hawaii and have been an Atheist since 2011. I am a survivor of AML (Acute Myeloid Leukemia) which I had back in 2008. A major reason why I became an Atheist or even had a chance at becoming one was that I was not allowed to have any physical contact with crowds so I was kept from going to church so I did not have the constant reinforcement for believing in God from others and another major part of my apostasy was the internet, especially TTA videos on youtube and other YouTubers. I am the only atheist in the house.

Damn dude, you really did take an arrow to the knee. And much worse, an arrow to the marrow. Welcome brah.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
29-08-2012, 09:40 PM
Hi everyone,

I just joined the forum so this thread seemed a good place to start.

I'm a 41 year-old guy living in Dallas, Texas. I am a long-time atheist (26 years and counting) and have always been pretty open about it. I was raised a Christian and my family are all fundamentalist Bible-beaters.

I was a believer for a while and did the public baptism and confession of sin/acceptance of Christ in our Lutheran church at the age of twelve. Once I was exposed to science and the theory of evolution in public school everything quickly changed and my faith fell away rapidly. I struggled for several years with the vestigial fear of Hell and the self-doubt that many of you probably struggled with as well. That finally passed and I now consider myself an atheist and a skeptic.

I never had much of a problem declaring myself an atheist to anyone who asked. My family still prays for my soul daily and tells me that one day I will believe because, as my mother puts it, Jesus has a plan for my life and will one day show me his mercy and love when I'm finally "open to hearing his truth." Well, they can just keep waiting, I guess.

I honestly never felt the need for any form of community or support in my atheism--it was just a fact of life for me and since I felt comfortable in my own skin I never really worried about my minority status in regard to being an atheist in America. All was well until one fateful night just over a year ago when a very good friend of mine decided to discuss my lack of belief with me over dinner at his house. My wife (also an atheist) and I were more than open to engaging in the conversation and kept things quite respectful as we discussed our reasons for dismissing the Bible. My friend however completely lost it and threw us out of his house. We haven't spoken since and I am still quite hurt that he has completely turned his back on us. I also recently changed jobs and am now working at a very small family-owned business. The topic there frequently turns to religion and I have not dared to reveal to anyone at my job that I do not believe. I can plainly tell from the conversations that revealing my lack of faith would incur some severe career setbacks. It's a very lonely feeling.

Suddenly I get it. We atheists truly are a reviled minority in America. Around September last year, still stung by the loss of my good friend, I stumbled upon the Thinking Atheist Podcast. I've since listened to every episode because it's simply very comforting to hear others discuss the difficulties they experience in American society due to their lack of faith.

That's my story. I'm happy to be here and hope to find a further sense of community here on the forum.
[+] 2 users Like Frustrating's post
29-08-2012, 10:15 PM
Hello, i'm Zach. I'm a fifteen year old sophomore in High School. I was raised Christian and I only became a nonbeliever last year(I'm the only atheist in my family). I love having discussions about religion as well as evolution with my parents and peers. While most people watch youtube videos about video games, I watch religious debates and scientific videos, that's the kind of person I am. Anyways, I look forward to being a part of this forum and community. Smile
[+] 1 user Likes zacharias44's post
30-08-2012, 08:18 AM
(29-08-2012 09:40 PM)Frustrating Wrote:  Hi everyone,

I'm a 41 year-old guy living in Dallas, Texas. I am a long-time atheist (26 years and counting) and have always been pretty open about it. I was raised a Christian and my family are all fundamentalist Bible-beaters.

I was a believer for a while and did the public baptism and confession of sin/acceptance of Christ in our Lutheran church at the age of twelve. Once I was exposed to science and the theory of evolution in public school everything quickly changed and my faith fell away rapidly. I struggled for several years with the vestigial fear of Hell and the self-doubt that many of you probably struggled with as well. That finally passed and I now consider myself an atheist and a skeptic.

I never had much of a problem declaring myself an atheist to anyone who asked. My family still prays for my soul daily and tells me that one day I will believe because, as my mother puts it, Jesus has a plan for my life and will one day show me his mercy and love when I'm finally "open to hearing his truth." Well, they can just keep waiting, I guess.

I honestly never felt the need for any form of community or support in my atheism--it was just a fact of life for me and since I felt comfortable in my own skin I never really worried about my minority status in regard to being an atheist in America. All was well until one fateful night just over a year ago when a very good friend of mine decided to discuss my lack of belief with me over dinner at his house. My wife (also an atheist) and I were more than open to engaging in the conversation and kept things quite respectful as we discussed our reasons for dismissing the Bible. My friend however completely lost it and threw us out of his house. We haven't spoken since and I am still quite hurt that he has completely turned his back on us. I also recently changed jobs and am now working at a very small family-owned business. The topic there frequently turns to religion and I have not dared to reveal to anyone at my job that I do not believe. I can plainly tell from the conversations that revealing my lack of faith would incur some severe career setbacks. It's a very lonely feeling.

Suddenly I get it. We atheists truly are a reviled minority in America. Around September last year, still stung by the loss of my good friend, I stumbled upon the Thinking Atheist Podcast. I've since listened to every episode because it's simply very comforting to hear others discuss the difficulties they experience in American society due to their lack of faith.

That's my story. I'm happy to be here and hope to find a further sense of community here on the forum.

Welcome. That's a moving story. I am sorry that you have lost a friend.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
30-08-2012, 05:46 PM
Thank you, Chas. I appreciate the welcome and the kind words.

(30-08-2012 08:18 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(29-08-2012 09:40 PM)Frustrating Wrote:  Hi everyone,

Welcome. That's a moving story. I am sorry that you have lost a friend.
30-08-2012, 09:10 PM
Hello. My name is Thomas and I am 26 years old. I apologize in advance for the lengthy introduction, haha.

I was raised in a fundamental Christian southern baptist home in Tennessee. As a kid, my mom decided to put me into a private Christian school in the second grade where I attended until I was homeschooled through high school. I was never exposed to real science as a kid except for rare media outlets for kids such as Bill Nye. (We didn't have cable television.)

I was a believer until my late teens when I started a pursuit of wisdom inspired by the character of king Solomon. As my search deepened, it evolved into a search for truth, regardless of where it lead me. This eventually lead me (hesitantly) into agnosticism and more recently agnostic atheism.

Having come from the culture of only the most devout and fundamentally true followers, I have a perspective that I consider myself privileged to have. I sympathize with those whose relationships struggle because of religion. The amount of social pressure and the fear of the loss of highly valued relationships is tremendous.

I only started learning about science as a young adult and have a new passion for something I always had interest in as a child. The Thinking Atheist now ranks among my favorite daily podcast listens among Star Talk with Neal Degrass Tyson, Radiolab, This American Life, and Reasonable Doubts.

During my departure from religion, I would later find out that my dad was going though the same process, with the fear of losing his family after my parents divorced. We met on the other side, both delighted that we weren't alone.

My relationship with my mother is suffering as she delves ever deeper into theological studies becoming more and more submerged into her faith, sharing her life with a new man who shares her faith. Facebook is turning into an unwelcome place for me as I continually find it harder and harder to stay quiet in the face of ignorance of reality. I try to maintain a level of respect for those who are what I used to be, but I am regularly confronted with ever more arrogant, bold, and aggressive attitudes, many times from my own mother. I am slowly losing hope for the majority of the people that I know as I realize they are ignorant as a result of choosing to ignore the other side.

I work for a Christian company, live in a Christian culture, and the vast majority of my family is Christian. Frankly it's frustrating.

I decided to join the forums here for the same reason that Seth started this site; for the community. I hope to make some new friends of like mind where I won't have to hold my tongue for fear of the consequences. Thanks to everybody here for being a community for those who otherwise do not have one!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes MrDoubtingThomas's post
Thread Closed