• 6 Votes - 5 Average
30-08-2012, 10:24 PM
RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
Typo correction: Neil deGrasse Tyson

Haha
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
31-08-2012, 02:17 AM
Hi everyone. My name is Chris, and I'm 29 years old. I'm originally from North Dakota, but I'm currently living in Anchorage Alaska. My wife is in the Air Force, but she is from Alaska, so this may be my last move for a while.

Not a whole lot to say about why I'm an atheist. I'm one of the kinds of people who never really became an atheist, it was more I stayed an atheist. There was really never a point in my life where I believed. When I was little I thought religion was like santa clause, everyone else knew it was fake and one day they'd tell me that. That day never came, but I kinda figured it out on my own.

Make it idiot proof, and someone will make a better idiot.

Project 280Z | Failed Atheist | The Friendly Pit Bull
Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Sapper's post
31-08-2012, 09:47 AM
Welcome.

Just a heads up for if you're gonna stick around, umm.. brace yourself.

[Image: oscar.png]
01-09-2012, 10:24 PM
Hi,

I grew up in a christian home, and was indoctrinated into believing that this is how life is supposed to be. Without even considering a thought otherwise, I bought it. Within the last five years, I have been questioning what I believe, why I believed it, and why I didn't question it sooner.

I now consider myself a non-believer. My husband, who is an atheist, has patiently allowed me to discover for myself, to choose for myself, and come to true reason without pushing, criticizing, or making me feel stupid. I am forever grateful to him.
[+] 1 user Likes Chasekat's post
01-09-2012, 11:15 PM
(01-09-2012 10:24 PM)Chasekat Wrote:  Hi,

I grew up in a christian home, and was indoctrinated into believing that this is how life is supposed to be. Without even considering a thought otherwise, I bought it. Within the last five years, I have been questioning what I believe, why I believed it, and why I didn't question it sooner.

I now consider myself a non-believer. My husband, who is an atheist, has patiently allowed me to discover for myself, to choose for myself, and come to true reason without pushing, criticizing, or making me feel stupid. I am forever grateful to him.

Welcome. Enjoy yourself.
(Watch out for the occasional troll amongst the outspoken and gentle deists, theists and atheists here.... it's a mixed bunch!)

Is your hubby on here too?

02-09-2012, 11:39 AM
(01-09-2012 11:15 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(01-09-2012 10:24 PM)Chasekat Wrote:  Hi,

Welcome. Enjoy yourself.
(Watch out for the occasional troll amongst the outspoken and gentle deists, theists and atheists here.... it's a mixed bunch!)

Is your hubby on here too?

Trolls aren't much lf a big problem. They are usually obvious. Bad spelling, grammar., and such.

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
02-09-2012, 01:49 PM
While I am loathe to admit I have prejudices, I find the people I most enjoy talking with are atheists. I have been an atheist since I finished reading the Bible at the age of thirteen. Since then I have studied other beliefs and have pared my own philosophy down to: Be calm, be nice, be useful, and help others do the same.

My husband and both grown daughters are atheists. Most in our extended families are Christians, so we tend to be more withdrawn from extended family than I would like. Aside from my family, I know few atheists and have joined this forum to share ideas with others like myself.

My interests are mostly academic, but I also enjoy humor, technology, politics, health, relationships, food, culture, and other popular topics.
02-09-2012, 05:12 PM
(02-09-2012 01:49 PM)Kanesse Wrote:  While I am loathe to admit I have prejudices, I find the people I most enjoy talking with are atheists. I have been an atheist since I finished reading the Bible at the age of thirteen. Since then I have studied other beliefs and have pared my own philosophy down to: Be calm, be nice, be useful, and help others do the same.

My husband and both grown daughters are atheists. Most in our extended families are Christians, so we tend to be more withdrawn from extended family than I would like. Aside from my family, I know few atheists and have joined this forum to share ideas with others like myself.

My interests are mostly academic, but I also enjoy humor, technology, politics, health, relationships, food, culture, and other popular topics.

Welcome, good to have you here.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
02-09-2012, 08:05 PM
Hello,

I'm a fan of the podcast. I've never spent a lot of time on forums. Going to give this one a try. Have a little college, dropped out to play guitar for a grunge rock band back in the 90's. I've been a classical pianist performing at different universities, a programmer for DOD contractor, plant manager, demolition supervisor, and now I'm a project manager for a disaster response firm. I've lived many place across the States from small mining towns in northern California and Oregon to a nine month stay on the corner of 53rd and 3rd in the middle of Manhattan. I travel abroad from time to time and have family in Norway. Despite being raised by a bunch of crazy Catholics, I've never really been a believer and don't recall when I lost faith if I ever really had any.

Behold! I will corrupt your seed and rub dung in your face. - God
03-09-2012, 04:20 AM
Hello, everyone! My name is Ashtan and I am a 21 year old married mother of quite a few fur children. My husband and I currently have 2 dogs (a yellow lab named Booda and a chihuahua/jack russel/french bulldog mix named Chloe), 3 cats (Leon, Jass, and Phelix), and 3 pet rats (Louie, Monty, and Jak). I am a crafter by trade and my husband is a software developer. I crochet, sew, spin and dye my own yarn, paint, draw, cross-stitch, decoupage, and do a little jewelery making and beading.

We have been listening to TTA for a while and both really enjoy the show. In fact, we were on the semi-recent episode about atheist weddings. We're the couple that got married at the barn. So please excuse the cow droppings everywhere. Tongue

I have never really been religious, though I have tried quite a few flavors of christianity, including a nondenominational mega church, catholicism and lutheranism. It just never felt right to me. Every time I would pray a little voice inside my head would say, "this is stupid." My most recent attempt at religion was going to a pentecostal church 7 years ago. I only went to try and get a guy to like me. It must have worked, because we're married now. Big Grin It ended up being quite a learning experience. It was the only church I've been in that has made me sincerely uncomfortable and downright terrified. Thankfully, my husband started to question his faith and when the pastor decided to walk away from us during a time of need, I was able to convince him to stop going. We've never really looked back. It's caused quite a few problems with his family. I, apparently, have been gifted a wonderful group of relatives that don't care what we do or do not believe. They care more about spending time together and having fun than fretting about our spiritual well-being.

I won't go to much into my husband's story because I'm sure when he eventually gets around to signing up for the forums, he'll want to share it himself.
Thread Closed