Introduce Yourself HERE!
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 5 Average
03-09-2012, 07:28 AM
RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
(03-09-2012 04:20 AM)ageeksgirl08 Wrote:  Hello, everyone! My name is Ashtan and I am a 21 year old married mother of quite a few fur children. My husband and I currently have 2 dogs (a yellow lab named Booda and a chihuahua/jack russel/french bulldog mix named Chloe), 3 cats (Leon, Jass, and Phelix), and 3 pet rats (Louie, Monty, and Jak). I am a crafter by trade and my husband is a software developer. I crochet, sew, spin and dye my own yarn, paint, draw, cross-stitch, decoupage, and do a little jewelery making and beading.

We have been listening to TTA for a while and both really enjoy the show. In fact, we were on the semi-recent episode about atheist weddings. We're the couple that got married at the barn. So please excuse the cow droppings everywhere. Tongue

I have never really been religious, though I have tried quite a few flavors of christianity, including a nondenominational mega church, catholicism and lutheranism. It just never felt right to me. Every time I would pray a little voice inside my head would say, "this is stupid." My most recent attempt at religion was going to a pentecostal church 7 years ago. I only went to try and get a guy to like me. It must have worked, because we're married now. Big Grin It ended up being quite a learning experience. It was the only church I've been in that has made me sincerely uncomfortable and downright terrified. Thankfully, my husband started to question his faith and when the pastor decided to walk away from us during a time of need, I was able to convince him to stop going. We've never really looked back. It's caused quite a few problems with his family. I, apparently, have been gifted a wonderful group of relatives that don't care what we do or do not believe. They care more about spending time together and having fun than fretting about our spiritual well-being.

I won't go to much into my husband's story because I'm sure when he eventually gets around to signing up for the forums, he'll want to share it himself.

Welcome aboard. Good to know you.
Have fun here (watch out for the occasional troll amongst the gentle and not-so-gentle deists, theists and atheists here)
Enjoy yourself and tell your hubby to get off his arse and join up.

Find all posts by this user
03-09-2012, 07:29 AM
(02-09-2012 08:05 PM)Knethrea Wrote:  Hello,

I'm a fan of the podcast. I've never spent a lot of time on forums. Going to give this one a try. Have a little college, dropped out to play guitar for a grunge rock band back in the 90's. I've been a classical pianist performing at different universities, a programmer for DOD contractor, plant manager, demolition supervisor, and now I'm a project manager for a disaster response firm. I've lived many place across the States from small mining towns in northern California and Oregon to a nine month stay on the corner of 53rd and 3rd in the middle of Manhattan. I travel abroad from time to time and have family in Norway. Despite being raised by a bunch of crazy Catholics, I've never really been a believer and don't recall when I lost faith if I ever really had any.

Good to have you here. Have fun!

03-09-2012, 09:22 AM
Hello, TTA forum.

My name is Mitch and I am a 25 year old atheist. I currently serve in the US Navy. I was raised in an IFB christian home, and went away to PCC to become a preacher of the faith. It was there that I began to study the Bible for real and became an atheist. Coming out as an atheist cost me my entire life. And being vocal about it cost me the little bit that I didn't loose when I came out. At least my immediate family remained by my side, though my parents can hardly look at me without a look of disappointment. My brother is understanding, because he too is an atheist, but he is the passive type that hates me being vocal against religion.

I've been listening to the podcast now for a while, and decided to join the forum to connect with people who know the hardships of being an atheist in a christian culture. So, hello TTA forum.
[+] 1 user Likes alltruthseeeker87's post
03-09-2012, 12:34 PM
i am almost 50, spent way too many years in church and believing what i knew was a pack of lies!! i am free now, and hope to help others enjoy the same freedom i do!!
Yes

skeptic, former worship leader, lover of life and enjoying freedom from religion!
[+] 1 user Likes takman_777's post
04-09-2012, 08:08 AM
Hello everyone, Chase is a handle and not my real name of course. I’ve received a little bit of attention lately having been banned for merely showing up at Christian forums using this name. I have received multiple threats as well…. I had a reputation of being a little short (downright mean) in the religious MySpace forums I’ve since toned it down several notches and have found myself being banned left and right as a reward. My guess is it is harder for theist to appear or claim they had held their ground when I’ve treated them far better than they have treated me….disarming them and their argumentum ad hominem (Abusive: attacking the person) and showing them the true nature of their beliefs. Evil_monster
[+] 1 user Likes Chase200mph's post
04-09-2012, 08:12 AM
Hello new people Smile

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
04-09-2012, 08:52 AM
(03-09-2012 09:22 AM)alltruthseeeker87 Wrote:  Hello, TTA forum.

My name is Mitch and I am a 25 year old atheist. I currently serve in the US Navy. I was raised in an IFB christian home, and went away to PCC to become a preacher of the faith. It was there that I began to study the Bible for real and became an atheist. Coming out as an atheist cost me my entire life. And being vocal about it cost me the little bit that I didn't loose when I came out. At least my immediate family remained by my side, though my parents can hardly look at me without a look of disappointment. My brother is understanding, because he too is an atheist, but he is the passive type that hates me being vocal against religion.

I've been listening to the podcast now for a while, and decided to join the forum to connect with people who know the hardships of being an atheist in a christian culture. So, hello TTA forum.

I don't understand your abbreviations but I think I get the point.

What's the navy version of a foxhole (which you are obviously not in)?

Welcome aboard
(sorry, I couldn't resist)

04-09-2012, 08:53 AM
(03-09-2012 12:34 PM)takman_777 Wrote:  i am almost 50, spent way too many years in church and believing what i knew was a pack of lies!! i am free now, and hope to help others enjoy the same freedom i do!!
Yes

Praise be. Welcome. Have fun.

04-09-2012, 08:56 AM
(04-09-2012 08:08 AM)Chase200mph Wrote:  Hello everyone, Chase is a handle and not my real name of course. I’ve received a little bit of attention lately having been banned for merely showing up at Christian forums using this name. I have received multiple threats as well…. I had a reputation of being a little short (downright mean) in the religious MySpace forums I’ve since toned it down several notches and have found myself being banned left and right as a reward. My guess is it is harder for theist to appear or claim they had held their ground when I’ve treated them far better than they have treated me….disarming them and their argumentum ad hominem (Abusive: attacking the person) and showing them the true nature of their beliefs. Evil_monster

Ok, so is 200mph your real name?

The theists on here treat us well and they make a fine cup of tea if you ask them nicely.

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
04-09-2012, 02:39 PM
Hello

Just came to say hi to everyone.

I´m 43 year old atheist/non-believer/non-religious father of two from Finland. Never actually have believed in any deity though I was baptised when I was a kid and was a member in the lutherian church untill my adulthood. That´s because my parents were members.

It´s a bit different here compared to USA (if I get the right picture from Seth´s, David Smalley´s and other shows). For example I never participated any service in church except weddings, funerals and baptisings. Neither did my family. Or my friends.

I´ve been listening to TTA podcasts a while now. They´re just great.
Thread Closed