Introduce Yourself HERE!
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 5 Average
12-09-2012, 05:07 PM
RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
Welcome to the Monkey House all you new members!

Don't forget to take your meds. Big Grin

#sigh
Find all posts by this user
12-09-2012, 09:22 PM
Hi all. My name is Bob, and I am an atheist, bisexual, and skeptic who loves biking/hiking/being outdoors in general, cooking, video games, exploring new topics in science/technology, learning and trying to understand other people/cultures, and living my life with the ability to make choices for myself without the guilt of whatever obligations culture/religion/etc. may try to force on me.

Short bio:
I was raised Roman Catholic in a rather moderate way (going to church and praying was just something you just did out of habit, like tying your shoes). In high school I developed a moral relativism that made me question the fairness of why anyone who was not Christian was automatically going to Hell. I was also realizing my sexuality and finding no one I could go to for advice without harsh judgment. Eventually in college I had decided that the supernatural aspects of my religion were no longer important to me, and became an agnostic and lastly an atheist. Most of my family is still religious, although more moderate than fundamental, and problems do arise from time to time.

I've been listening to The Thinking Atheist for a while now and finally decided to contribute to the forum.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes bobco85's post
13-09-2012, 02:09 AM
Hello Everyone!

My name is stephanie and i became an atheist about a year ago. I am an ex-missionary, ex-fundy, domestic violence/family violence survivor and a mary kay consultant (came in as a christian and staying because i deserve this opportunity just as much as i did when i was christian). I am very thankful for this website because the videos helped me become an atheist. It has been a hard journey, but a freeing one. Im so grateful I let go of my delusions and that im allowed to think! I am proud to be apart of this universe and that the universe is in me. im an open book, wear my heart on my sleeve, and love living my life.

- steph
[+] 1 user Likes stephaniealexander's post
14-09-2012, 02:11 AM
Smile RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
Hiiii Smile

I'm a 21-year old atheist/antitheist from the Philippines.

Some of you would probably think I'm "too young" to conclude religion is crap but I was raised by a Catholic family, used to believe all the bull too till I was around 7 or 8.

Waaaay too proud to be an atheist. I've just discovered this community and imagine my relief. Big Grin

Anyway, keep up the excellent posts and if I may say so, "spread the word". Tongue

Abby
[+] 2 users Like gabriellevierneza's post
15-09-2012, 01:37 AM
Hey all. I'm Jay and live in Western NC in the bible belt.. help.. Haha!
15-09-2012, 08:28 AM
(14-09-2012 02:11 AM)gabriellevierneza Wrote:  Hiiii Smile

I'm a 21-year old atheist/antitheist from the Philippines.

Some of you would probably think I'm "too young" to conclude religion is crap but I was raised by a Catholic family, used to believe all the bull too till I was around 7 or 8.

Waaaay too proud to be an atheist. I've just discovered this community and imagine my relief. Big Grin

Anyway, keep up the excellent posts and if I may say so, "spread the word". Tongue

Abby

Too young? Damn old farts, thinkin' their young!

Anyway, welcome to you and anybody else.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
15-09-2012, 08:08 PM
New here, as of 15 Sept. 2012

Although I agree wholeheartedly with the Atheist contention that all religious dogma is nothing more than myth and an effort to brainwash and control those, who become victims. Yes, as a child, I was brainwashed ... even envisioned becoing a Catholic priest.

Today, I am a convinced a-Theist (non believer in man-made God). However, I am a skeptic as concerns prospect of life after death. I'm inclined to think that those, who profess to have died and experienced NDE's, and those, with proven psychic insight cannot all be frauds. From a purely logical/mathematical perspective, IF IT HAPPENED ONCE ... it can happen again, and again, and again Meaning, some form of life after death. Not sure of the details, but ... this is why I'm a skeptic, rather than a disbeliever in the prospect of survival of a soul/spirit,

Consider too, the fact that we are but a microscopic speck in the Universe. Consequently, the vast UNKNOWN, I'm inclined to think holds MEANING to the here and now, and conceivable, to an hereafter?

So, I am an a-Theist, with hope, and an inclination to envision an afterlife dimension, which makes sense of self and the universe. Regardless, it is what it is and there's nothing I, or anyone can do to change the ultimate outcome. If there's nothing beyond this life, then it matters not, as none of us will know anyway!

i am, HDG (Vintagemusic) Heart
15-09-2012, 08:16 PM
(15-09-2012 08:08 PM)Vintagemusic Wrote:  New here, as of 15 Sept. 2012

Although I agree wholeheartedly with the Atheist contention that all religious dogma is nothing more than myth and an effort to brainwash and control those, who become victims. Yes, as a child, I was brainwashed ... even envisioned becoing a Catholic priest.

Today, I am a convinced a-Theist (non believer in man-made God). However, I am a skeptic as concerns prospect of life after death. I'm inclined to think that those, who profess to have died and experienced NDE's, and those, with proven psychic insight cannot all be frauds. From a purely logical/mathematical perspective, IF IT HAPPENED ONCE ... it can happen again, and again, and again Meaning, some form of life after death. Not sure of the details, but ... this is why I'm a skeptic, rather than a disbeliever in the prospect of survival of a soul/spirit,

Consider too, the fact that we are but a microscopic speck in the Universe. Consequently, the vast UNKNOWN, I'm inclined to think holds MEANING to the here and now, and conceivable, to an hereafter?

So, I am an a-Theist, with hope, and an inclination to envision an afterlife dimension, which makes sense of self and the universe. Regardless, it is what it is and there's nothing I, or anyone can do to change the ultimate outcome. If there's nothing beyond this life, then it matters not, as none of us will know anyway!

But there is no evidence that any of that has ever happened; there is no evidence of psychic anything; NDEs are explainable as neurological processes; there is no physics to support the existence of souls, reincarnation, life after death.

One should have an open mind, but not so open that one's brain falls out.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
15-09-2012, 08:56 PM
(15-09-2012 08:16 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(15-09-2012 08:08 PM)Vintagemusic Wrote:  New here, as of 15 Sept. 2012

But there is no evidence that any of that has ever happened; there is no evidence of psychic anything; NDEs are explainable as neurological processes; there is no physics to support the existence of souls, reincarnation, life after death.

Chas,

May I suggest you Google "Anita Moorjani"? That you read any number of books on the subject of NDE, Psychic phenomena, most written by men and women of science, credentialed physicists, medical doctors, and NOT clergy.

If you're up to the challenge, take a look at Quantum physics and how it presents EVIDENCE of non-locality and independence of mind from brain activity.

Lastly, as one, who has survived 71 years on planet earth, I in fact experienced an Out of Body (Not an NDE) event at age 19. Simply left my body without apparent cause. My awareness became independent of time and space. Meaning, that my presence was wherever I thought, and at whatever "time" that came to mind. Long story, but ... proof to me, of something beyond the physical. Granted, not proof of God, not proof of an afterlife, but --- proof of Out Of Body dimension, although clearly, I was not dead at the time.

I have no problem with anti-religious conclusions. However, it's inconceivable that there is no purpose to life, to the universe, to love that I feel for animals (to a lesser degree for humans). Whatever the purpose to life may be, it doesn't have to be relevant to you, to me, or to we humans, but I sure hope it is!

HDG (Vintagemusic)
15-09-2012, 11:03 PM
(15-09-2012 08:56 PM)Vintagemusic Wrote:  
(15-09-2012 08:16 PM)Chas Wrote:  But there is no evidence that any of that has ever happened; there is no evidence of psychic anything; NDEs are explainable as neurological processes; there is no physics to support the existence of souls, reincarnation, life after death.

Chas,

May I suggest you Google "Anita Moorjani"? That you read any number of books on the subject of NDE, Psychic phenomena, most written by men and women of science, credentialed physicists, medical doctors, and NOT clergy.

If you're up to the challenge, take a look at Quantum physics and how it presents EVIDENCE of non-locality and independence of mind from brain activity.

Lastly, as one, who has survived 71 years on planet earth, I in fact experienced an Out of Body (Not an NDE) event at age 19. Simply left my body without apparent cause. My awareness became independent of time and space. Meaning, that my presence was wherever I thought, and at whatever "time" that came to mind. Long story, but ... proof to me, of something beyond the physical. Granted, not proof of God, not proof of an afterlife, but --- proof of Out Of Body dimension, although clearly, I was not dead at the time.

I have no problem with anti-religious conclusions. However, it's inconceivable that there is no purpose to life, to the universe, to love that I feel for animals (to a lesser degree for humans). Whatever the purpose to life may be, it doesn't have to be relevant to you, to me, or to we humans, but I sure hope it is!

HDG (Vintagemusic)

You do realize anecdotal evidence is not evidence to anybody else but you. There really is no point to present it to us besides you giving a justification for only YOU to believe in it.

As for the "scientists" that have researched it; the brain can even fool itself.

What does it matter, your age? Just because you are seventy-one, doesn't make it more credible than if you were five.

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
Thread Closed