Introduce Yourself HERE!
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 5 Average
30-01-2011, 03:36 PM

RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
Ahh, sorry about that. I do get a lot of people telling me they have no idea what i just said online. I try to remember but feel free to call me on it if i ramble. Although the dialect i speak that gives everyone trouble is 'internet'.

so explanations;

srs - serious.

Touhou - a series of raiden style games for windows and pc98

Barring that - in this case means 'apart from that'
30-01-2011, 05:47 PM

are you talking about the newcastle in australia?
30-01-2011, 06:00 PM

Yep. I'm with the colloids group. And sometimes the centre for multiphase process.

... and other times the centre for organic electronics.
30-01-2011, 07:39 PM
Welcome, DoE. Do you know where your signature line is from?

In case you don't, it's a novel called Small Gods, written by Terry Pratchett, the same guy that I'm quoting in my signature.

For all those who haven't read it, I highly recommend it. It's a great book on its own rights, but it also serves as a critique of religion and fundamentalism.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
Find all posts by this user
30-01-2011, 07:46 PM

Yes i know. But i couldnt remember who said it (I know pratchett i mean the character), i think it was one of the ephebean philosophers.

It was a toss up between "about the god forms a shell ..." and "... eat off your knees"
31-01-2011, 09:22 PM

Hello, Im Redshirt and Im an atheist.
(chorus): "Hi, Redshirt."
Im 39 years old. An illustrator who works with scientists, engineers, physicists, chemists, and other -ists for a well known space faring "administration" in the US. Im selectively out-of-the-closet-atheist with my family and friends. Youtube atheists helped me define what I felt for a long time, but never journeyed across. Im a rational thinking and have slowly realized I have my fathers engineer mind. Also, I like bacon.Tongue
01-02-2011, 12:47 AM

Greetings, GunLar here.
I am 21 years old.

My Hobby's are:
Watching series/movies
Reading about mythologies and history
Jogging
Playing some video games

Belief:
Used to be a believer in God until the age of 14.
Started reading about different mythologies and actually read the Bible.
Found out that it did not make any sense, and the things I had learned at school was only the tip of the tip of the iceberg. (Yes, that was a double tip)
I started to ask my parents and teachers about the issue, never got a clean answer.
Something said "pling" in my brain, and I was a Atheist.

Problems with converting:
Wasn't to much problems about it. Lost a few friends who where strong believers, rest of them didn't really care.
My Parents shacked their heads once or twice and never talked about it again. No real difference there.
Started getting tons of questions about why I was no longer a believer, answered them as good as I could until it started getting old.
That's about it.

Norway

Last message:
I'm a easy going person. Hate not answering questions pointed towards me.
Tend to overthink things and I tend to write a lot to answer something that requires a short answer.
That's about it.

-GunLar-
01-02-2011, 10:31 PM
(01-02-2011 12:47 AM)GunLar Wrote:  Greetings, GunLar here.
Tend to overthink things and I tend to write a lot to answer something that requires a short answer.
That's about it.

-GunLar-

Thinking is why you're here, right? Big Grin

Welcome!

My reason for being is to serve as a cat cushion. That is good enough for me. Wink
03-02-2011, 01:07 PM
Hi everyone! I am 20 years old, I live in the deep south here in Arkansas and have been an atheist for 5 years now, more or less. I came to the conclusion that I was an atheist before I even knew what the term meant. Growing up in a church, they tell you that atheists are basically devil worshipers, and I knew I wasn't that. After I decided that I didn't believe, I began searching on the Internet, and found out I am an "atheist". And everything that I saw just confirmed what I had already concluded for myself. Then I began to entertain the idea about opening up to my family about it, so I began to search for stories about how people have gone about doing so. I didn't have much luck finding any information. But there's tons of stories and information here that I feel like I can learn a lot from.
A little more info about me: I love anything outdoors. Here in Arkansas hunting is the thing to do, and my husband introduced me to it a couple of years ago. There's that, and hiking, and fishing, and just exploring the outdoors. I love nature. Anyway, my husband is a member on another forum that's about hunting, so a lot of the people are hard-core christians. Sometimes they post things about religion that are so ridiculous, and they can be so intolerant it's frustrating. So you might find me posting some things that those people say on here just for $h*t$ and giggles.
Well that's enough of my babbling for now!

I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires. – Susan B. Anthony
07-02-2011, 07:08 PM

Hi, all! I am a very recent self-proclaimed atheist. I am pretty sure I've been one all my life but I grew up Christian and I've always tried to convince myself that I really believed what the Bible and the pastors told me. It was only last December that it finally hit me that I didn't believe a single word of the biblical creation story.
To quote one of my favorite atheist mentors: "If I have something that can be called a 'soul' then science saved it." It's very true in my life. Without the advances of science I would still be a sheep in the flock. Science explains things, religion covers them up and condemns questioning.
I live in a town in the southwestern United States that is virtually entirely Christian, so I am still very much in the closet so to speak. I have a really, really good friend who lives in another state who is the only one I've personally admitted my atheism to.
As a young atheist, I haven't really had the chance to explore this brand new world that I've just entered, though I'm hoping that can change. Smile
Thread Closed