Introduce Yourself HERE!
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 5 Average
26-09-2012, 11:33 PM
RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
(26-09-2012 11:31 PM)Freethinking Atheist Wrote:  
(25-09-2012 02:41 PM)Atothetheist Wrote:  You are more than welcome, you'll come to find we are quite friendly.

That's a breath of fresh air. Too many forums are littered with assholes.

You called?

No I jest, welcome aboard.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
Find all posts by this user
27-09-2012, 01:46 AM
Hey,

I am a 25 year old college graduate with a B.S. degree in sociology and geology. I have been agnostic for most my life and never once believed in a higher power. At a very young age (10yo) I recall only one instance where I really looked for an answer from a "HIGHER POWER", this was brought on due to the loss of my grand parents. I received no response, as expected, and from there on I came to the conclusion that there wasn't a god (common since also helped in coming to this conclusion). However, I decided that I really don't know the exact answer that explains everything. I also realized the simple fact that no one person could do so either. (put religion aside because as we all know it's rhetoric is bs). Moving on, putting all the science and my understanding aside, I have recently discovered Seth's pod casts and have been hooked.
I myself am in no way a believer in a higher power but, I do have the same outlook as I had as a child,"I dont know" and no one really knows. Through the years I have taken that agnostic approach but in listening to these podcasts and further research/ reflection of what I know... i may just make the final leap to athiest.....

RDM
27-09-2012, 04:40 AM
The leap of faith huh? Welcome to the forum Smile
27-09-2012, 05:38 PM
(27-09-2012 01:46 AM)richmaki Wrote:  I am a 25 year old college graduate with a B.S. degree in sociology and geology.

You trying to breed pet rocks ain't you. Big Grin

[Image: petrocks.jpg]

Welcome to the Monkey House!

#sigh
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
27-09-2012, 08:11 PM
(26-09-2012 09:55 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  Respecting your old man's beliefs is fine, but it does not mean you should bend to them. If you feel that must follow his beliefs "as long as he provides me food shelter and love. " I must say, that is not genuine "love", such affection should be unconditional if it is to be sincere.

Of course the feeling of love is much more than just him providing me with necessities and goods. Most of us love our parents as long as they are not complete asses, if you're a father and you love your son (like my father) than your son will most likely love you back.

I don't follow his beliefs whatsoever, I often challenge them with science, but nothing about god.

I changed his mind on the topic of young earth creation, and now he believes in evolution.

My father tells me he is proud when I accomplish something, and the tone in his voice is sincere. There is no other factor than love coming from him to me.

He respects my views as should I respect his, but I never challenge his god because I tried to one time and he told me to never speak of it again. Although I probably will in the future.

I also don't challenge my fathers beliefs because of my brother. He shares no belief in god either, but he calls me stupid when on the topic. Mostly because he is very ignorant.

It's a natural process to love and protect your family, because you feel a sense of safety. All love is based off of trust, and I trust and respect my father very much.

And I know that if they were teaching about god in school that my father would take me out, he is more secular than he is religious. I think he is secretly challenging his beliefs much like seth did because my father is about his age.

I think my father is burying his challenges in the Jehova's witness forums, seeing he was raised that way and he will probably die that way.

My father was heavily indoctrinated and I wouldn't be surprised if he were to continue with religion. Although I wish he would be out of his religion mostly because then I would have someone to talk to outside of the internet.

Thanks.
28-09-2012, 01:14 AM
(27-09-2012 04:40 AM)morondog Wrote:  The leap of faith huh? Welcome to the forum Smile

haha, or lack thereof...thanks
30-09-2012, 06:36 AM
(30-08-2010 09:46 PM)Soldieringon Wrote:  Hey

I was looking for a place to introduce myself, and realized that there was no "one thread" for members to do so. I thought I would start one.

I'm Paul. I am a 31 y/o male stationed with the Army in South Korea. I have been an Atheist all my life, I was raised as one. I run a small blog and I am getting ready to leave the Army.

I am an open atheist, there's no hiding for me, I tell other people about Atheism and why I choose to be one. But I try very hard not to be pushy about it.

Anyone else?

I give out cards.
Say, if you want the finniest in atheistic comedy
just visit me wee YouTube Channel
http://www.youtube.com/user/TOR1Hershman

Here's a FINE example

Stay on groovin' safari,
Tor
30-09-2012, 08:31 AM
Hi my name is Michael I'm from Australia and a proud member of the atheist foundation of Australia and atheist alliance international.
it's pretty easy to be an atheist here, even our prime minister is an atheist. I'm a regular listener to TTA podcast. I'm a nurse and a ridiculously proud dad.
hi everyone
30-09-2012, 03:21 PM
Hello All,

I'm a long time UNbeliever from the great state of Texas. You know the place where all the compassionate conservatives come from. The ones that love their fellow man so much that they send troops to kill them. We also fry them by the dozen over in the Huntsville prison. Just good old Christian values! ; )

Seriously, we're not all bad here in Texas, some of us even believe that gays should be allowed to marry!

/fool
[+] 1 user Likes Unholy Fool's post
02-10-2012, 11:52 AM
Hi All,

I recently found this site after finding The Thinking Atheist Podcast on iTunes. I am listening to the podcasts from the beginning and am about halfway through. I am searching for the truth. I have been a Christian for about 20 years. I did not grow up in a religious family. We never went to church when I was a kid and the issue of God was never really discussed. I ended up marrying a girl who is a preacher's kid. (Oh, what we will do for love.) She comes from a pretty traditional Southern Baptist family. Everyone in her family are Christians and I followed along. I have never really thought of myself as a strong Christian and I think there have always been doubts in the back of my mind. I recently decided to start studying the bible more in depth to see if I could strengthen my faith. Just the opposite has happened as I have gotten deep into my studies. I now find myself questioning everything.

Anyway, I hope to learn more and gain more understanding by interacting with everyone on this forum.

Talk to you soon.

-SM
[+] 1 user Likes Scuffy McGee's post
Thread Closed