Introduce Yourself HERE!
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 5 Average
09-10-2012, 04:13 PM
RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
(09-10-2012 01:40 PM)Uwon Wrote:  Hello my name is Johann.
I live in South-Africa and I am a"Theist". So you can me and hopefully we can engage in some thought provoking conversation.
You may want to check out my site to see to know more about what I stand for and what I would like to bring to the table...

What do you hope to achieve here?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-10-2012, 05:00 PM
Hello to all rational thinkers out there.
I'm 51 years old and have been an outspoken atheist for most of those years. I was a precocious kid who always wanted chemistry sets and microscopes rather than the must have toy of that particular year. At a very early age, I was asking those awkward questions that always got unsatisfactory answers. I went on to be a chemical engineer.
Talk more later.

Nok
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Nok's post
09-10-2012, 05:39 PM
(09-10-2012 05:00 PM)Nok Wrote:  Hello to all rational thinkers out there.
I'm 51 years old and have been an outspoken atheist for most of those years. I was a precocious kid who always wanted chemistry sets and microscopes rather than the must have toy of that particular year. At a very early age, I was asking those awkward questions that always got unsatisfactory answers. I went on to be a chemical engineer.
Talk more later.

Nok

Welcome to our warm, little forum.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-10-2012, 08:17 PM
(07-10-2012 04:07 PM)Quite_Simply Wrote:  Hello All! I'm Rae, I'm 15 and I'm from New York State.

I was raised a Christian, but I've been an atheist all my life. I didn't even realize till I was 7 or 8 that I was supposed to believe all those stories I heard at Sunday school.

I'm a Thespian Lesbian and I love to play classical guitar.

Welcome to the forums.

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
10-10-2012, 03:26 AM
Hi all,Im Pridhvi,I'm 21 and I'm from India(Chennai),doing my bachelor's in Mechanical Engineering.

I was born in a Hindu family,and had a very liberal raising.As a result I haven't thought much about the misdeeds of religion and it's origin or consequences till I got to college(18),though I always was intrigued by other religions such as Christianity,Islam etc.I've started learning about the above religions step by step from the past 3-4 years as well as about my own religion(Hinduism),which in turn made me realise that I don't care or support religious practice in any form.And now I can happily call myself an Atheist.I have been watching a lot of God debates involving famous atheists like Dawkins,Hitchens(RIP),Sam Harris etc. and hope to evolve my arguments in such a fashion,so that I myself can advocate anti-theism and rebut arguments from theists.I hope I learn a lot from other people in this forum(especially about the Judeo-Christian religion) to enrich my knowledge and to contribute my two pence to change something for the better.
[+] 2 users Like Prid_The_Atheist's post
10-10-2012, 01:01 PM
Hello everyone! I'm 22 years old and I was born in Toronto, Canada but I've lived in many cities and areas around North America so I don't know where to call home lol. Anyways I grew up in a hardcore "West African" Pentecostal family. We believed in speaking in tongues, casting out demons and witches out of people, being born again...all of that. Growing up, I lived with different family members for about 5 years and then I was reunited back with my mom and stepfather when I was about 11. Anyways the family members I lived with were senior members of a church and me being the odd one out, I was always accused of bringing bad luck, witchcraft...etc and I was constantly told that I would be going to hell, which traumatized me a lot. Anyways after being reunited with my mom, she started attending this church 3 days a week (which I hated) and one day during a friday all night service (10pm-2am) , the pastor prophesied that I was a witch and that I had the spirit of adultery (mind you I was about 13 at this time). This was the beginning of hell for me...from gossip and dirty looks from people in the church, friends, family..etc. My grandma took it upon herself to "beat the witchcraft" out of me and there was one time she almost gouged my eye out. I became suicidal and I almost jumped off the balcony of the apartment we were renting (21st floor) because I hated my life. Thankfully, I got over that after thinking about the future life I wanted to live and aspirations of travelling the world and being a doctor. I started questioning my beliefs during high-school, which was a long and painful journey which led to me declaring to myself that I was an atheist at the ripe old age of 22 Wink. I tested the waters when I was 17-18 by asking my mom and step-dad some questions about the bible and I was so afraid of their response that I stopped. I am afraid to tell anyone because right now my parents became pastors last year and started a new church. I'm afraid that I will be ostracized from my family. Even when I was away from home for 4 years during my 1st degree, I still felt the guilt and pain after I told them I don't go to church in the city I went to school. I can't stay home so i'm deciding to do my 2nd degree at a school far from where my family is living now. The past few months after graduation that i've been home has been mental torture. Church 24/7! *sigh* I can't wait for school to start in January! I'm so glad that I found this forum so that I can interact with like-minded people and learn more.
p.s. sorry if my story seems all over the place Smile
[+] 1 user Likes Zenobia's post
10-10-2012, 01:16 PM
Greetings and salutations everyone. I'm in Westminster Colorado (it's a Denver suburb) and brand new to the forum. I was raised in a pretty strict and extreme Christian fundamentalist family (my father is a pastor) but I reasoned my way out.

"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge." - Charles Darwin
[+] 1 user Likes Heretikus's post
10-10-2012, 01:41 PM
(10-10-2012 01:01 PM)Zenobia Wrote:  Hello everyone! I'm 22 years old and I was born in Toronto, Canada but I've lived in many cities and areas around North America so I don't know where to call home lol. Anyways I grew up in a hardcore "West African" Pentecostal family. We believed in speaking in tongues, casting out demons and witches out of people, being born again...all of that. Growing up, I lived with different family members for about 5 years and then I was reunited back with my mom and stepfather when I was about 11. Anyways the family members I lived with were senior members of a church and me being the odd one out, I was always accused of bringing bad luck, witchcraft...etc and I was constantly told that I would be going to hell, which traumatized me a lot. Anyways after being reunited with my mom, she started attending this church 3 days a week (which I hated) and one day during a friday all night service (10pm-2am) , the pastor prophesied that I was a witch and that I had the spirit of adultery (mind you I was about 13 at this time). This was the beginning of hell for me...from gossip and dirty looks from people in the church, friends, family..etc. My grandma took it upon herself to "beat the witchcraft" out of me and there was one time she almost gouged my eye out. I became suicidal and I almost jumped off the balcony of the apartment we were renting (21st floor) because I hated my life. Thankfully, I got over that after thinking about the future life I wanted to live and aspirations of travelling the world and being a doctor. I started questioning my beliefs during high-school, which was a long and painful journey which led to me declaring to myself that I was an atheist at the ripe old age of 22 Wink. I tested the waters when I was 17-18 by asking my mom and step-dad some questions about the bible and I was so afraid of their response that I stopped. I am afraid to tell anyone because right now my parents became pastors last year and started a new church. I'm afraid that I will be ostracized from my family. Even when I was away from home for 4 years during my 1st degree, I still felt the guilt and pain after I told them I don't go to church in the city I went to school. I can't stay home so i'm deciding to do my 2nd degree at a school far from where my family is living now. The past few months after graduation that i've been home has been mental torture. Church 24/7! *sigh* I can't wait for school to start in January! I'm so glad that I found this forum so that I can interact with like-minded people and learn more.

Wow. Your family have been horrible Sad That's probably one of the worst stories I've ever personally heard. Congrats for finding your own way. Hopefully you will soon manage to break free of them - seems like you already know what's valuable - education! Welcome Smile
10-10-2012, 01:43 PM
(10-10-2012 01:16 PM)Heretikus Wrote:  Greetings and salutations everyone. I'm in Westminster Colorado (it's a Denver suburb) and brand new to the forum. I was raised in a pretty strict and extreme Christian fundamentalist family (my father is a pastor) but I reasoned my way out.

Yay Smile Welcome.
10-10-2012, 04:47 PM
(10-10-2012 01:41 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(10-10-2012 01:01 PM)Zenobia Wrote:  Hello everyone! I'm 22 years old and I was born in Toronto, Canada but I've lived in many cities and areas around North America so I don't know where to call home lol. Anyways I grew up in a hardcore "West African" Pentecostal family. We believed in speaking in tongues, casting out demons and witches out of people, being born again...all of that. Growing up, I lived with different family members for about 5 years and then I was reunited back with my mom and stepfather when I was about 11. Anyways the family members I lived with were senior members of a church and me being the odd one out, I was always accused of bringing bad luck, witchcraft...etc and I was constantly told that I would be going to hell, which traumatized me a lot. Anyways after being reunited with my mom, she started attending this church 3 days a week (which I hated) and one day during a friday all night service (10pm-2am) , the pastor prophesied that I was a witch and that I had the spirit of adultery (mind you I was about 13 at this time). This was the beginning of hell for me...from gossip and dirty looks from people in the church, friends, family..etc. My grandma took it upon herself to "beat the witchcraft" out of me and there was one time she almost gouged my eye out. I became suicidal and I almost jumped off the balcony of the apartment we were renting (21st floor) because I hated my life. Thankfully, I got over that after thinking about the future life I wanted to live and aspirations of travelling the world and being a doctor. I started questioning my beliefs during high-school, which was a long and painful journey which led to me declaring to myself that I was an atheist at the ripe old age of 22 Wink. I tested the waters when I was 17-18 by asking my mom and step-dad some questions about the bible and I was so afraid of their response that I stopped. I am afraid to tell anyone because right now my parents became pastors last year and started a new church. I'm afraid that I will be ostracized from my family. Even when I was away from home for 4 years during my 1st degree, I still felt the guilt and pain after I told them I don't go to church in the city I went to school. I can't stay home so i'm deciding to do my 2nd degree at a school far from where my family is living now. The past few months after graduation that i've been home has been mental torture. Church 24/7! *sigh* I can't wait for school to start in January! I'm so glad that I found this forum so that I can interact with like-minded people and learn more.

Wow. Your family have been horrible Sad That's probably one of the worst stories I've ever personally heard. Congrats for finding your own way. Hopefully you will soon manage to break free of them - seems like you already know what's valuable - education! Welcome Smile
*sigh* Sad January needs to come ASAP!

Thanks for the warm virtual welcome Smile !
Thread Closed