Introduce Yourself HERE!
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 5 Average
07-02-2011, 07:08 PM

RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
Hi, all! I am a very recent self-proclaimed atheist. I am pretty sure I've been one all my life but I grew up Christian and I've always tried to convince myself that I really believed what the Bible and the pastors told me. It was only last December that it finally hit me that I didn't believe a single word of the biblical creation story.
To quote one of my favorite atheist mentors: "If I have something that can be called a 'soul' then science saved it." It's very true in my life. Without the advances of science I would still be a sheep in the flock. Science explains things, religion covers them up and condemns questioning.
I live in a town in the southwestern United States that is virtually entirely Christian, so I am still very much in the closet so to speak. I have a really, really good friend who lives in another state who is the only one I've personally admitted my atheism to.
As a young atheist, I haven't really had the chance to explore this brand new world that I've just entered, though I'm hoping that can change. Smile
08-02-2011, 02:30 AM
Science explains things, religion covers them up and condemns questioning. You could make that your signature. I like it.

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
Find all posts by this user
08-02-2011, 05:48 PM
Hello, I'm an atheist from So Cali. I was raised as an atheist. My father's family is Jewish, my mom's is Catholic. Politically I used to be middle of the road but have become more and more of a left winger.
09-02-2011, 05:26 PM

(08-02-2011 02:30 AM)No J. Wrote:  Science explains things, religion covers them up and condemns questioning. You could make that your signature. I like it.

Thanks! I think I will Big Grin
10-02-2011, 08:15 AM
My first post was in philosophy about transsexuals. Anyway, I'm an intersexed transsexual lesbian let's break that down
INTERSEXED born in between male and female as despite sciences proof in gender as more of a continuom than a dichotomy the male female scale is demanded.
TRANSSEXUAL while I was not born male or female I was declared male at birth. However, I live as a female so in all technicalities i am a transsexual. Though hormones are more a physical need for my body than the average transsexual.
LESBIAN I know what you're thinking, I am aware of what this term means. But, as far as I'm concerned being female is not about your genitalia, so while I desire relationship with women. I do not demand them to be a specific form of woman.
So basically, I'm female, I enjoy languages and anthropology, currently not attending school I hold an AA (big whoop). I am a member of an activist group called transhaven, because while most of what I do never helps me out I'm always proud that the next person to walk down a path like mine has it a little easier.

I don't consider myself an atheist though I don't prescribe to religions, I simply do not have enough concern with the supernatural to warrant declaring a specific term of denouncing things. I often find it difficult to discuss things with religious people as they often reference their religious icons or texts in everyday life, and I cannot agree with them. I've always had the opinion that religions choose to make a blanket statement the answer to difficult questions and that what i need is the actual answer no matter how hard it may be to get it.

Yes I'm very wordy hopefully no one will hate me for it.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
10-02-2011, 10:14 AM
(10-02-2011 08:15 AM)Lilith Pride Wrote:  Yes I'm very wordy hopefully no one will hate me for it.

If you think that's "very wordy", you're in for a surprise. Tongue

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
10-02-2011, 10:31 AM
we'll see ~_^

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
10-02-2011, 02:09 PM
Hello. Wanted to say hi.

Born Catholic, was practicing Christian most of my life but always had that itch, that nagging question that something was not right about Theism.
I now stand somewhere between deist and atheist, but very few people, if any in my personal life know about my true feelings on religion.

So as a good husband, I go to church semi regularly, and all that other happy horse shit.

Why are you still reading this line when it is obviously my signature line?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-02-2011, 03:39 PM
Welcome, Face!

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
12-02-2011, 01:49 PM

Hello friends. I found this site through facebook. It seemed like a good place to connect with like minded folks.

I'm Shawn. 26. From Massachusetts. I was raised Catholic. Between ages 3 and 6 I started asking questions about space, the big bang, adam and eve's incestuous children, Noah's ark's limited capacity, etc...

I remained loyal to the Christian faith until age 12. I claimed atheism in a moment of weakness after my father died. But in the long run it proved to be a launching pad of strength. It's empowering once you realize that your parents don't have all if any of the answers about our divine origins and destinations post-mortem.

I've spent the past 14 years putting the rest of the puzzle pieces together. I don't consider myself an atheist anymore because I feel that doing such would be giving too much acknowledgment to theists. Plus I don't think we should use labels that ultimately just divide people.

I see everything that exists (collective universal consciousness) as an infinite multi-cellular organism. You could call it God, but I prefer not to. It's better than that.

If there is a God that is the same god that is popularized by religious scripture, I think he's kind of jerk. Damnation is no way to treat the less conscious.

The story of Jesus is a story about the Sun and it how it interacts with others stars and galactic entities. As is the story of every other messiah.

Recently I've adopted ideas about "ancient astronauts," distant relatives from other star systems, and Annunaki of Nibiru as other possible explanations for the rise of humanity.

I don't have beliefs about any external truths. Only internal. For the external there are only likely possibilities based on evidence, and not so likely ideas with limited evidence. All are up for debate.

My threshold for religion and religious followers is constantly disintegrating. They all seem so judgmental or fearful of losing their faith. I guess that's why I feel the need to connect to those that feel similar to me. Fearless, loving, and reasonable. Still I press on and practice tolerance, forgiveness, and compassion for them to make up for the droves and droves of religious followers who wouldn't do the same for me or for others.
Thread Closed