Introduce Yourself HERE!
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 5 Average
21-10-2012, 02:44 AM
RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
Long time thinker, atheist, and excommunicated from a large family. Looking for similar thinkers here who put science first and are not plaqued by the dogma of religion. Currently living in the Texas hill country near Wimberley. Smartass
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Buzzard's post
21-10-2012, 07:16 PM
Name: David
Profession: [Insert results of job search here after the fact]

Present religious stance and affiliation: Skeptic, Unitarian-Universalist, and ignostic. (Yes, starting with an i.) Most people would probably consider me an atheist if they broke down what I do and don't believe, but I do not feel I can identify as such with complete intellectual honesty.

Background and circumstances: I come from a secular household, and aside from a brief brush with Hebrew school as a child have been some flavor of nonbeliever all my life. I've been out about what I do and don't believe all my life, though I'm not particularly vocal on the subject unless prompted. This has never brought me any great disadvantage, which I recognize as a privilege inherent to where I've lived. (San Francisco bay area, followed by Oregon.) I've identified as atheist, strong agnostic, and weak agnostic in the past as my views and interpretation of religion have evolved; ignostic is currently my present stance. (Thanks to, among others, Mr. Sagan for this.)

Warnings: Twisted sense of humor (including puns, literalisms, absurdisms, all complicated by sarcasm and deadpan delivery). Contrarian. Counterprovokes when provoked. Deviant manners of thought. Takes dilemmas by the horns. Short attention span. Do not combine with high quantities of sugar, acid (corrosive or hallucinogenic), or people who take themselves to seriously.

"If I ignore the alternatives, the only option is God; I ignore them; therefore God." -- The Syllogism of Fail
[+] 3 users Like Reltzik's post
21-10-2012, 07:50 PM
(21-10-2012 07:16 PM)Reltzik Wrote:  Name: David
Profession: [Insert results of job search here after the fact]

Present religious stance and affiliation: Skeptic, Unitarian-Universalist, and ignostic. (Yes, starting with an i.) Most people would probably consider me an atheist if they broke down what I do and don't believe, but I do not feel I can identify as such with complete intellectual honesty.

Background and circumstances: I come from a secular household, and aside from a brief brush with Hebrew school as a child have been some flavor of nonbeliever all my life. I've been out about what I do and don't believe all my life, though I'm not particularly vocal on the subject unless prompted. This has never brought me any great disadvantage, which I recognize as a privilege inherent to where I've lived. (San Francisco bay area, followed by Oregon.) I've identified as atheist, strong agnostic, and weak agnostic in the past as my views and interpretation of religion have evolved; ignostic is currently my present stance. (Thanks to, among others, Mr. Sagan for this.)

Warnings: Twisted sense of humor (including puns, literalisms, absurdisms, all complicated by sarcasm and deadpan delivery). Contrarian. Counterprovokes when provoked. Deviant manners of thought. Takes dilemmas by the horns. Short attention span. Do not combine with high quantities of sugar, acid (corrosive or hallucinogenic), or people who take themselves to seriously.
Welcome to TTA. There's been a lot of controvery on the position Igtheism lately. Perhaps you can share your view of it in this thread. Regardless of that, enjoy your stay.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
22-10-2012, 12:21 AM
Welcome! Appreciate your input on Igtheism!

22-10-2012, 09:07 AM
I am a semi-retired martial artist, writer, sailor, and trouble maker living in João Pessoa, Brazil.

I have been an atheist since I was 13. I have a video about it on my photobucket page (http://www.photobucket.com/slrman)

If freedom means anything, it is the liberty to tell others what they do not want to hear.
[+] 1 user Likes James Smith's post
22-10-2012, 12:02 PM
Hello everybody,

I'm a 14 year-old Dutch girl and I have been an Atheist for almost my entire life.
I think it's great that I've finally found such an amazing online community full of other atheists. I never knew that there was something like The Thinking Atheist, before I accidentally found the youtube channel through Reddit.

I already like it here!

"If a thousand old beliefs were ruined in our march to truth we must still march on." - Stopford Brooke
[+] 1 user Likes Kelly's post
22-10-2012, 03:42 PM
Greetings!

It's been over two decades that I have been a realist.
I am a voracious reader, a very deep thinker and I realized very early in my life that all organized religions are no different from tribal mumbo-jumbo and fairy tales.

I did not need a traumatic experience to give up the faith I was born and brainwashed into. It just took a thorough reading of the various 'holey' texts of belief and the absurdities they professed to make the rational aspect of my mind take control of my life.

I hope to meet online and exchange views with like minded people here on this forum.

Intelligence and Rationality are attributes not required by a mind seeped in religion.
23-10-2012, 01:00 PM
(21-10-2012 07:16 PM)Reltzik Wrote:  Name: David
... ignostic is currently my present stance. (Thanks to, among others, Mr. Sagan for this.)
Hi David - it's great you've come to the forum - it's probably about as close to "activism" as ignostics seem to get. At least that's what I've encountered of the few who identify as ignostic, including myself.

We're pretty laid back here and it's a continually evolving, international community. I know you'll find many things of interest here.

Welcome to the forum. Smile

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
23-10-2012, 01:46 PM
Hello, and good evening to all.
I'm Johnny Xed, from London in "good" old Great Britain.
The issue of being an Atheist never occurred to me since I've never believed in any goblins or gods. I do believe however in gazpacho.
I absorb information as a habit, I use this information as best I can to help others and if that doesn't work I give them the manual and tell them to go to the khazi for an hour and read the manual just like I had to.
("Just don't use it as paper, others might need to read it too".)
In my experience most of the time they'd be better off reading the khazi.
Sorry about the negativity but I work with prima-donnas, recording them in studios and live; I get to meet a lot of "interesting" people. On the other hand I get to DRINK BEER with a lot of techies, and they can drink :-)
I even find time to bash out some music of my own. I record Industrial but I play Punk.
I'm a demon to some, an angel to others. But I don't hammer nails into my head ;-)
What can I say but: LONG LIVE REASON!
JX
23-10-2012, 02:31 PM
(22-10-2012 12:02 PM)Kelly Wrote:  Hello everybody,

I'm a 14 year-old Dutch girl and I have been an Atheist for almost my entire life.
I think it's great that I've finally found such an amazing online community full of other atheists. I never knew that there was something like The Thinking Atheist, before I accidentally found the youtube channel through Reddit.

I already like it here!

Welcome fellow teenager!

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
[+] 1 user Likes Atothetheist's post
Thread Closed