Introduce Yourself HERE!
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 5 Average
23-10-2012, 04:20 PM
RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
I am a Theist. More precisely an Agnostic with a bias to believe in God. Not the God of any particular religion but God as I comprehend him. I agree with many of your criticisms of some religions but even within religions, there are many religeous people who have very different views and attitudes.

Many religous people are incredibly beautiful in spirit and heart. As are some religions: the Church of Existentialism, Unitarian Christian Churches, and the Bahá'í Faith which try to combine the best from all religions to make a truly wonderful religion.

It may surprise many of you to find that most modern churches sermons are like stories out of Chicken Soup for The Soul. The fire and brimestone has left all but the most fundamentalist of churches.

Most church members pay little attention to theology. They are so much more concerned with the social and spiritual aspects. Atheists have a field day with theology. It is an easy mark for logical thinkers but religion has nothing to do with logic.

You often spend much time pointing out the hypocrisy, contradictions and brutallity of religeous texts. Even if you prove every religion on the planet to be inconsistent, illogical, and cruel; it does not prove that there is no God. God can exist even if all religions are wrong.
Find all posts by this user
23-10-2012, 04:34 PM
(23-10-2012 04:20 PM)Theist_Typing Wrote:  I am a Theist. More precisely an Agnostic with a bias to believe in God. Not the God of any particular religion but God as I comprehend him. I agree with many of your criticisms of some religions but even within religions, there are many religeous people who have very different views and attitudes.

Many religous people are incredibly beautiful in spirit and heart. As are some religions: the Church of Existentialism, Unitarian Christian Churches, and the Bahá'í Faith which try to combine the best from all religions to make a truly wonderful religion.

It may surprise many of you to find that most modern churches sermons are like stories out of Chicken Soup for The Soul. The fire and brimestone has left all but the most fundamentalist of churches.

Most church members pay little attention to theology. They are so much more concerned with the social and spiritual aspects. Atheists have a field day with theology. It is an easy mark for logical thinkers but religion has nothing to do with logic.

You often spend much time pointing out the hypocrisy, contradictions and brutallity of religeous texts. Even if you prove every religion on the planet to be inconsistent, illogical, and cruel; it does not prove that there is no God. God can exist even if all religions are wrong.

And all of the religions can be wrong and no gods exist.

Why do you think there is or might be a god?

Welcome to our web.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
23-10-2012, 04:56 PM
(23-10-2012 04:20 PM)Theist_Typing Wrote:  Even if you prove every religion on the planet to be inconsistent, illogical, and cruel; it does not prove that there is no God. God can exist even if all religions are wrong.

I think I can say with confidence that many of the atheists here aren't atheists because they thought religions are illogical and cruel (though that may well have been the catalyst for research into the validity of religious claims). We're atheists because there's no good reason (evidence) to believe in any deity/deities - regardless of whichever religion/person promotes the idea. So what if God can still exist, even if all religions are wrong?

Atheism doesn't assert that Gods don't exist, either. Knowing and believing are two different things.

Welcome to the forums.
23-10-2012, 07:20 PM
Big Grin RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
Hi my name is Nick. I am a 31 year old atheist. I have been one as long as I can remember. I was raised to believe or not believe in what I felt was right. I try not to be too pushy but I try to stand up for myself when I get harped on for being an atheist.

I work in retail and am slowly bringing my girlfriend over to the atheist side! Smile
23-10-2012, 07:30 PM
Welcome all you new fuckers.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
24-10-2012, 03:05 AM (This post was last modified: 24-10-2012 11:46 AM by kingschosen.)
Quote:And all of the religions can be wrong and no gods exist.

Why do you think there is or might be a god?

Welcome to our web.

Seeking God, is part of living a fuller, more focused life.
24-10-2012, 03:21 AM
(24-10-2012 03:05 AM)Theist_Typing Wrote:  Seeking God, is part of living a fuller, more focused life.

That's an opinion. It's going to be interesting watching you try to mix with the community here, if this is the kinda junk you're gonna post.
[+] 1 user Likes caffeinesoul's post
24-10-2012, 03:24 AM
Quote:We're atheists because there's no good reason (evidence) to believe in any deity/deities - regardless of whichever religion/person promotes the idea. So what if God can still exist, even if all religions are wrong.

Atheism doesn't assert that Gods don't exist, either. Knowing and believing are two different things.
?

It seems that you are describing agnosticism here. When one asserts "I am an atheist", in my mind, they are asserting that there is no God.

It has crossed my mind that some atheists make this statement hoping that someone will prove them wrong or convince them otherwise: sort of a contrarian way of seeking God.

Believing and knowing are not different things, but degrees of certainty.
24-10-2012, 03:38 AM
(24-10-2012 03:24 AM)Theist_Typing Wrote:  It seems that you are describing agnosticism here. When one asserts "I am an atheist", in my mind, they are asserting that there is no God.

Agnosticism and atheism are not exclusive positions. You can be an agnostic atheist, or a gnostic atheist. You can also be an agnostic theist, or a gnostic theist. Agnostic is more the position that we can't know, and gnostic is the position that we can know.

(24-10-2012 03:24 AM)Theist_Typing Wrote:  It has crossed my mind that some atheists make this statement hoping that someone will prove them wrong or convince them otherwise: sort of a contrarian way of seeking God.

That's an interesting spin. Personally, I push to be proved wrong because I want to know the truth, even if that means finding out that deities don't exist.

(24-10-2012 03:24 AM)Theist_Typing Wrote:  Believing and knowing are not different things, but degrees of certainty.

That's like saying a hypothesis and a theory are the same thing, but degrees of certainty.

I suggest you make a thread on whatever you please, so discourse can move there instead of staying here in the introductions thread.
[+] 1 user Likes caffeinesoul's post
24-10-2012, 10:41 AM
(23-10-2012 04:20 PM)Theist_Typing Wrote:  I am a Theist. More precisely an Agnostic with a bias to believe in God. Not the God of any particular religion but God as I comprehend him. I agree with many of your criticisms of some religions but even within religions, there are many religeous people who have very different views and attitudes.

Welcome to our board.

I'm interested in hearing about your view of god. Perhaps you are actually a pantheist and just didn't know it. Wink

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
Thread Closed