Introduce Yourself HERE!
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 5 Average
28-10-2012, 01:19 PM
RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
Calm Reason - You Tuber, although having a break due to depression. Long time Atheist, but only became a dedicated Atheist about 2 years ago.
Find all posts by this user
28-10-2012, 02:06 PM
(The email confirmation business was giving me the run-around, so please forgive me if I've repeated this)
Hello, and good evening to all.
I'm Johnny Xed, from London in "good" old Great Britain.
The issue of being an Atheist never occurred to me since I've never "believed" in any goblins or gods or even godzilla and I've seen godzilla. (It was crap)
I have a serious information habit. The downside is that a lot of people ask me to explain the manual to them.
I keep telling them: "Go to the bog with the manual, that's how we learn in life".
As a work (and penance) I work with prima-donnas, recording them in studios and at live events, so I get to meet a lot of "interesting" people ;-)
On the other hand Techies drown their sorrows afterwards with LOTS OF BEER. Which is nice :-)
I even find time to bash out some music of my own. I record Industrial but I play Punk.
I'm a demon to some, an angel to others. Some guy with a headache in a PVC cassock told me to say that.
What can I say but: LONG LIVE REASON!
JX
[+] 1 user Likes Johnny Xed's post
28-10-2012, 09:01 PM
Hello all,

I've been lurking around for a few days and have liked what I've observed from the community. I'm 18 (almost 19) and am currently a freshman at college in Massachusetts, although I was born and raised in the DC area.

I was never really a believer so to speak. I grew up in a household where religion had almost no influence on our daily lives. My dad is a non-practicing FGC Quaker (and might very well be an atheist) and my mom is a non-practicing Jew. Neither of them come from strictly religious backgrounds either, so fundamentalism hasn't been in my immediate family for awhile.

I might have "believed" in a God when I was younger, but this was before I had the intellectual capacity to truly grapple with the concept. I simply heard people talk about God and kind of said to myself "Ok, I guess it exists." For the record, it was never impressed upon me by my parents. We did sometimes go to synagogue on the holidays, but this was more on the pressing of my maternal grandparents. Once we pointed out to them that even my grandmother slept through the service we were no longer obliged to attend. I Also tried some dabbling in Quaker meetings with my dad, but we both got bored shitless. Eventually, I only kept going for the youth group and appeared after the service had ended.

I guess by the time I was 9 or 10 I was no longer interested by the whole "God" concept. Besides, I had become completely captivated by the sciences. I remember my best friend and I would sometimes draw vulgar pictures and messages in children's bibles (oh we were such devilish little heathens). It wasn't really until I was around 16 though that I truly approached the issue from the point of logical reasoning and skeptical inquiry and decided that I was an atheist for sure.

With all that being said, everybody has the entitlement to their own belief, and I firmly support diversification in beliefs and opinions. However, that doesn't mean I am obligated to respect that belief, and am even less likely to do so if the ONLY reason for holding on to such a belief is a lifetime of brainwashing and a rejection of critical analysis.

I look forward to getting to know all of you.

Cheers,
Tartarus Sauce

[Image: giphy.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Tartarus Sauce's post
28-10-2012, 09:33 PM
Greetings All,

Well, well. I think this is going to be very enjoyable.

I'm 36, married, four kids, and currently teach at a university in the Middle East. I was raised Mormon and held that moniker until fairly recently, though the drifting began a few years ago. The story is too detailed to go into here, but perhaps it will arise in the coming discussions.

My family is very devout. They always have been. And while they know I have more or less ended my Mormon faith (which my father refuses to believe), they don't know that I'm an atheist. I didn't know until a couple of weeks ago.

I did all the things good Mormons do: went to church every week, said my prayers, read my scriptures, attended seminary (which in the Mormon church is a class additional to normal middle/high school classes), went on a two-year mission to Texas, was married in the temple the first time and married in the temple the second time. I'm still with that second wife of 11 years this Halloween (yes, that was deliberate), and she has come to the same place I have.

If anybody has questions about what the Mormon church is/isn't, I'd be happy to share my experiences and knowledge.

It's great to be here, and I look forward to the discussions that will ensue.

Regards,

wrenekape
[+] 1 user Likes wrenekape's post
28-10-2012, 11:16 PM (This post was last modified: 29-10-2012 02:08 AM by Dark Light.)
wrenekape Wrote:Greetings All,

Well, well. I think this is going to be very enjoyable.

I'm 36, married, four kids, and currently teach at a university in the Middle East. I was raised Mormon and held that moniker until fairly recently, though the drifting began a few years ago. The story is too detailed to go into here, but perhaps it will arise in the coming discussions.

My family is very devout. They always have been. And while they know I have more or less ended my Mormon faith (which my father refuses to believe), they don't know that I'm an atheist. I didn't know until a couple of weeks ago.

I did all the things good Mormons do: went to church every week, said my prayers, read my scriptures, attended seminary (which in the Mormon church is a class additional to normal middle/high school classes), went on a two-year mission to Texas, was married in the temple the first time and married in the temple the second time. I'm still with that second wife of 11 years this Halloween (yes, that was deliberate), and she has come to the same place I have.

If anybody has questions about what the Mormon church is/isn't, I'd be happy to share my experiences and knowledge.

It's great to be here, and I look forward to the discussions that will ensue.

Regards,

wrenekape
Hmm...I think you're the 3rd former Mormon to join within the last week. Anyway, I'm glad to have you. Mainstream Christianity gets poked at the most often here, but Mormons get poked at their fair share too, with all the magical underwear and whatnot. Anyway, I'm sure their is plenty about the Mormon belief that many of us are ignorant about. Look forward to hearing about it all. By the way, how the hell did a Mormon wind up in the middle-east? To the best of my knowledge they are in the Americas, Europe, and Australia. Look forward to hearing from you.

If you're willing make a thread...something like "Ask a Former Mormon" since we already have "Ask a Theist" and "Ask a Muslim"...but be prepared, if you don't have thick skin, don't bother, especially with your family still identifies with the Mormon faith...

28-10-2012, 11:38 PM
Welcome recent new additions Smile Fancy some fried baby ?
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
29-10-2012, 02:00 AM
Morondog, what are you doing!

Grilled is such a better method of cooking baby.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
29-10-2012, 02:10 AM
Wait! You guys cook it? Gross...I like the meat supple and fresh. No heat near my baby-meat!

29-10-2012, 02:20 AM
You may have a point.

G'day to all the newcomers I just ignored by the way.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
29-10-2012, 07:10 AM
(28-10-2012 11:16 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  Hmm...I think you're the 3rd former Mormon to join within the last week. Anyway, I'm glad to have you. Mainstream Christianity gets poked at the most often here, but Mormons get poked at their fair share too, with all the magical underwear and whatnot. Anyway, I'm sure their is plenty about the Mormon belief that many of us are ignorant about. Look forward to hearing about it all. By the way, how the hell did a Mormon wind up in the middle-east? To the best of my knowledge they are in the Americas, Europe, and Australia. Look forward to hearing from you.

If you're willing make a thread...something like "Ask a Former Mormon" since we already have "Ask a Theist" and "Ask a Muslim"...but be prepared, if you don't have thick skin, don't bother, especially with your family still identifies with the Mormon faith...

Why thank you, Mr. Light. I'm having a bit of difficulty finding the "Ask a Theist" and "Ask a Muslim" threads, but perhaps I haven't been looking in the right place. Where can I find these threads? And where would I create one?

I would have no problem with an "Ask a Former Mormon" thread. I knocked on doors and tried to convert people to the Mormon church, on their doorsteps, for two years, in Texas nonetheless, so I don't think inflammatory or vitriolic remarks would really affect me, assuming that's what you mean. I'd just be offering information and opinion as I see it.

As far as why I'm in the Middle East, that one's simple: job. I was teaching in Washington State until I lost my job because of budget cuts. This one opened up, so here I am. There's a very small Mormon congregation in the city I'm in, and they (along with all other non-Muslim faiths) are allowed to be here on the condition that they don't proselytize. And yes, Mormons are u-bi-qui-tous.

In any case, I appreciate the welcome and am excited to be here.
Thread Closed