Introduce Yourself HERE!
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 5 Average
12-02-2011, 01:55 PM
RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
Malloy Wrote:I see everything that exists (collective universal consciousness) as an infinite multi-cellular organism. You could call it God, but I prefer not to. It's better than that.

If there is a God that is the same god that is popularized by religious scripture, I think he's kind of jerk. Damnation is no way to treat the less conscious.

The story of Jesus is a story about the Sun and it how it interacts with others stars and galactic entities. As is the story of every other messiah.

Recently I've adopted ideas about "ancient astronauts," distant relatives from other star systems, and Annunaki of Nibiru as other possible explanations for the rise of humanity.
Welcome aboard! You've already confused me.

Correct me when I'm wrong.
Accept me or go to hell.
Find all posts by this user
12-02-2011, 02:12 PM
Indeed Malloy this is a great place to just be able to speak your mind without worrying about a remark that has no logical basis being used to counter your opinion.

I believe in a collective consciense due to personal deep thought throughout my life, but I've never fleshed it out into the our universe is a living organism and we're a part of it idea. Easily understood as you think of all the living organisms that make up a human body. I stopped questioning any sort of religious practice once I got past the idea of being special and focused on. If a god exists but I'm just some random thing, then I don't need to know anything about it either.

I've been here a few days and it's definitely sparked enough comments from me to make it very worth the time.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
12-02-2011, 03:57 PM
Lilith you have either read 100 more books than me or you have taken a course in philosophy but I'm as confused as Kikko is right now.I get what your trying to hint at , but the nuances just don't hit home with me.
So this is what it's like when you meet people smarter than you ... ouch .

Atheism is a religion like OFF is a TV channel !!!

Proud of my genetic relatives Big Grin
12-02-2011, 04:46 PM
I'm not smarter than you Gaglamesh I just think to myself a lot. All living organisms are composed of other living organisms and the scale goes ever smaller and ever larger. Inside of the human body there are millions of different germs parasites etc living and functioning together to support life. If you look at the idea of being at their size you can see a human being as being unimaginably complex as they simply live inside of it. So with the discovery of micro organisms a school of thought branched out that it would be easily possible we are part of some larger organism first deciding it might be the earth, but then going further and describing the planets as molecules.

Jesus being a reference to the sun is a comment on the fact that the parable of the chosen son is a common enough story in religions which take this idea from the viewing of the actual Sun. Most of you, if for no other reason than from religulous are aware of the fact the story of Jesus is the story of Horus is the story of Krishna. In the idea that common religious parables are based on fact in some way people disambiguate the stories and tend to find them talking about a constant natural phenomena.

Think of it as a more complex Deism where the deity didn't create the universe but is the universe. Which easily expresses it's omnipresence and it's lack of regard for it's parts. People think nothing of everything that lives inside of them, even how many micro organisms they kill by brushing off dead skin.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
12-02-2011, 05:31 PM
I don't see a collective universal conciousness, nor do I see the universe as a deity. I have entertained those ideas in the past but realized that they were far-reaching ideas that had no scientific support.

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
12-02-2011, 06:06 PM (This post was last modified: 12-02-2011 06:12 PM by Lilith Pride.)
The fact I feel the collective conscience seems true, is because as a child I was able to find the answers in my room alone with the only information at hand being the random bits I collected from interactions with the world. Simply by thinking to myself I would eventually come up with an answer that fit my problems rather logically. It's a belief I've never bothered to discard.

Generally all answers to unanswered questions are far reaching. I just quickly lost interest in most of that stuff, seeking other answers, and only contemplated the meaning of life in an attempt to have something to discuss with the local Baptists. To me it's as simple as living is not about knowing why you're alive but about being alive, so just go about your business and focus on more important things.

12-02-2011, 10:25 PM
(12-02-2011 06:06 PM)Lilith Pride Wrote:  The fact I feel the collective conscience seems true, is because as a child I was able to find the answers in my room alone with the only information at hand being the random bits I collected from interactions with the world. Simply by thinking to myself I would eventually come up with an answer that fit my problems rather logically. It's a belief I've never bothered to discard.

So you think that a "collective consciousness" is a better explanation for this than you simply working out the answer on your own?

Give yourself a little credit.

Malloy Wrote:I see everything that exists (collective universal consciousness) as an infinite multi-cellular organism. You could call it God, but I prefer not to. It's better than that.

Certainly an interesting point of view. I don't agree with it, but this isn't the thread for discussing it. Welcome aboard! Glad to have you with us.

Gotta warn you, though, that this bit -

Quote:Recently I've adopted ideas about "ancient astronauts," distant relatives from other star systems, and Annunaki of Nibiru as other possible explanations for the rise of humanity.

- if you bring it up in an actual discussion thread, I'll probably jump on it. I spend a lot of time on skeptic forums. At this point, "Nibiru" is a Pavlovian phrase for me. Tongue

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
13-02-2011, 06:01 AM
Quote:Most of you, if for no other reason than from religulous are aware of the fact the story of Jesus is the story of Horus is the story of Krishna.
http://conspiracyscience.com/articles/ze.../part-one/ and his/her sources disagree (the page is about Zeitgeist but the first part is about gods).

Correct me when I'm wrong.
Accept me or go to hell.
13-02-2011, 03:33 PM

Hiya everyone! I consider myself an agnostic atheist right now, but it's only been one month since I seriously started questioning the existence of god. I was a devout christian, loved hearing the sermon during church (it was my favorite part), and seriously wanted to develop a "deep and sincere" relationship with god. Long story short, all it caused me was trouble time and time again, and constant anxiety. But that's not the reason I left. I would take any downside to serving god as long as I knew it was right and was what he "planned" for my life. But in December 2010, I decided I wanted to apply critical thinking to every aspect of my life, wanted to enhance my faith because of it, and started visiting atheist websites and videos. God came up short in so many ridiculous ways that I felt ashamed. I see the illogical reasoning now, and how it messes with people's minds, causing them to rationalize everything and make decisions about religion that they wouldn't otherwise make in any other area of their life. I haven't studied any other religion (I'm still studying Christianity, and it has only been one month), but from what I've read they're all about the same at the roots. Glad I don't have to live under that masochistic, misogynistic, insecure egomaniac who doesn't give a damn about anybody because he probably doesn't exist.
13-02-2011, 06:31 PM

Hi everyone!

My name is Fran and I'm an undergrad astronomy student from Chile.

I love science with all my heart! I've been an atheist for quite a few years now. I was raised catholic (and were veeery religious back when I was little), but then I just started questioning things about god, the way he "did" things etc etc, then I started getting more into science... so when I was around 17 I definitely started calling myself an atheist and decided to devote my life to science.

I've been reading skeptical & atheist forums for a while, but this is actually the 1st time I sign up for one, I hope to be replying & posting soon =)
Thread Closed