Introduce Yourself HERE!
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 5 Average
01-11-2012, 08:29 AM
RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
(31-10-2012 08:29 AM)AtheistBiker Wrote:  New to the forum, just thought I'd say Hello.
I have unfortunately always been surrounded by the religious, family, friends, etc. Just looking for a place to get involved in intelligent discussion and maybe a bit of a feeling of community that I am missing in daily life.

Hey AtheistBiker,

This is a great place for community and intelligence. Welcome aboard.
Find all posts by this user
01-11-2012, 08:34 AM
(01-11-2012 02:45 AM)mikeyD Wrote:  My name is Mike. I'm a pilot in the Air Force. I've been a pseudo-agnostic since I was in my teens, but now I'm a atheist through and through.

I'm struggling with coming out about it...not in an agressive way, but in a "I don't care what anyone thinks of me" way, especially since I have a right-wing father who judges everything.

Additionally, I'm in the wrong profession as a liberal...the military. I'm surrounded by vocal, religious, right-wing basket cases who don't know their audience when they speak. I stay neutral as to not ruin my career...yes, that would happen if I spoke out.

Any advice?
Mike

Hey mikeyD,

My advice would be--don't lose your job.

No, really. I struggle with the same thing myself. I'm just newly "out", but none of my friends or family know, and I'm not sure I want to offer that information at this point in time. I am finding it helpful to listen to Seth's podcasts, debates, Bible refutation stuff, and the like for when those moments with believers will arise, because they will arise, especially with my family. I was Mormon for 36 years. Big Grin
01-11-2012, 08:35 AM
(31-10-2012 10:35 AM)cheekykeen Wrote:  Hello, all. I'm Sara. I'm new, so I'm posting here. This looks like a lively community; I'm excited to explore it. Smile

Hey cheekykeen,

I'm pretty new myself and have found this a great place to be. I think you'll really like it. Smile
02-11-2012, 07:18 AM
This is me. :^)
Hey, all: My name is pianodwarf. I'm a lifelong atheist, raised in a secular household, thus dodging the indoctrination that probably snared most of you for a good portion of your lives (although I did go thru a brief "woo" period from about 1987 to 1991 or thereabouts). I'm a member of several different activist organizations, including American Atheists and the FFRF. I've made the occasional effort to participate in pro-Christian forums but haven't been able to manage it -- unfortunately, I have the "I can't go to bed right now, someone is wrong on the Internet" syndrome, and the only way I've been able to control it is by not venturing into "enemy territory".

I'm an IT professional living in the Metro DC area. I majored in philosophy, which as you can probably imagine is useful in discussing this topic. My usual hangout is the "Why Won't God Heal Amputees" discussion forum, where I also function as a moderator for several of the forums and as the mailman for all the loving and compassionate mail we receive from Christians showing their true colors. The WWGHA forums are down right now due to an upgrade (which upgrade has been going on for a few days now, possibly delayed due to Sandy), and I've been meaning to sign on here for a whlie anyway, so I thought now would be as good a time as any. Looking forward to participating here.
[+] 3 users Like pianodwarf's post
02-11-2012, 08:46 AM
RE: This is me. :^)
(02-11-2012 07:18 AM)pianodwarf Wrote:  Hey, all: My name is pianodwarf. I'm a lifelong atheist, raised in a secular household, thus dodging the indoctrination that probably snared most of you for a good portion of your lives (although I did go thru a brief "woo" period from about 1987 to 1991 or thereabouts). I'm a member of several different activist organizations, including American Atheists and the FFRF. I've made the occasional effort to participate in pro-Christian forums but haven't been able to manage it -- unfortunately, I have the "I can't go to bed right now, someone is wrong on the Internet" syndrome, and the only way I've been able to control it is by not venturing into "enemy territory".

I'm an IT professional living in the Metro DC area. I majored in philosophy, which as you can probably imagine is useful in discussing this topic. My usual hangout is the "Why Won't God Heal Amputees" discussion forum, where I also function as a moderator for several of the forums and as the mailman for all the loving and compassionate mail we receive from Christians showing their true colors. The WWGHA forums are down right now due to an upgrade (which upgrade has been going on for a few days now, possibly delayed due to Sandy), and I've been meaning to sign on here for a whlie anyway, so I thought now would be as good a time as any. Looking forward to participating here.
Welcome. Why the name 'pianodwarf'?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-11-2012, 08:55 AM
(02-11-2012 08:46 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(02-11-2012 07:18 AM)pianodwarf Wrote:  Hey, all: My name is pianodwarf. I'm a lifelong atheist, raised in a secular household, thus dodging the indoctrination that probably snared most of you for a good portion of your lives (although I did go thru a brief "woo" period from about 1987 to 1991 or thereabouts). I'm a member of several different activist organizations, including American Atheists and the FFRF. I've made the occasional effort to participate in pro-Christian forums but haven't been able to manage it -- unfortunately, I have the "I can't go to bed right now, someone is wrong on the Internet" syndrome, and the only way I've been able to control it is by not venturing into "enemy territory".

Welcome. Why the name 'pianodwarf'?
Small pianist?

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
02-11-2012, 09:02 AM
(02-11-2012 08:46 AM)Chas Wrote:  Welcome.
Thanks!

Quote:Why the name 'pianodwarf'?
It's a very long and complicated story, one that I may get into someday but not right now. In case you're curious, though, I'm 5'11" and I don't play piano. The origin of the name is a bit more obscure.
02-11-2012, 09:04 AM
(02-11-2012 09:02 AM)pianodwarf Wrote:  
(02-11-2012 08:46 AM)Chas Wrote:  Welcome.
Thanks!

Quote:Why the name 'pianodwarf'?
It's a very long and complicated story, one that I may get into someday but not right now. In case you're curious, though, I'm 5'11" and I don't play piano. The origin of the name is a bit more obscure.
The deaf genie joke?

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
02-11-2012, 09:05 AM
(02-11-2012 09:04 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  The deaf genie joke?

Heh. No, not that either. Big Grin
02-11-2012, 09:13 AM
Sorry not to have been on this thread for a while.

Welcome all newbies, one and all.

Have fun here. We are a generally genial bunch. One or two lovable wackos.... mainly the ones who run the show so nothing to worry about there.

We get the occasional outspoken deist and theist and atheist here amongst the gentlefolk and the occasional troll. Feel free to give as good as you get.

Lots of Canucks recently, I notice. Has something happened up there?

Welcome and enjoy.

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
Thread Closed