Introduce Yourself HERE!
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 5 Average
04-11-2012, 06:16 PM
RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
Hello. My name is Kristin and I do not work in a zoo. Shy

I am 34 years old and was baptized Irish Catholic as an infant. I attended a Catholic school, Shrine of the Little Flower, through the fifth grade (age eleven), then was moved to public school. While I was a student at Shrine, I had to go to a daytime mass once a week with my class during the school day, but as a family we were Christmas-and-Easter-Mass attendees only. Religion was never really discussed at home, most likely due to the fact that my mother was raised Catholic while my father had no religious affiliation (my mom told me he was an atheist but he told me years later that had he known of the term "agnostic" he would have identified with that) Anyway, shortly after my move to public school I realized I had only been "Catholic" because I was taught that I was until I stopped attending the Catholic school. So I've been a non-believer since sixth grade.

I guess I could add some things about me that aren't related to my non-belief, so...

I grew up in Michigan, USA (near Detroit), but have lived in Florida since age 18...I have a Bachelor's in Wildlife Ecology and Conservation, but am working in a completely different field in a job I hate...when my back isn't giving me problems and when I'm not swamped at work, I like to bellydance and practice yoga and read...I'm looking forward to participating in this forum...

Cheers!
Find all posts by this user
04-11-2012, 09:07 PM
Greetings to all. I used to be active ten years ago on the AOL Atheism boards, but haven't participated much since. Born and raised Catholic, I've been an atheist pretty much all I can remember. Life is complicated enough, and religion or anything else that diverts one from reality can't help. But I do like the music and art.
04-11-2012, 09:21 PM
(04-11-2012 06:16 PM)zookeepr96 Wrote:  ...when my back isn't giving me problems and when I'm not swamped at work, I like to belly-dance and practice yoga and read...I'm looking forward to participating in this forum...

Cheers!

I'm trying to visualise that combination. No wonder you hurt your back.

Watch out for the occasional trolls and a few hyped-up atheists, deists and theists, though most here are gentle-folk.

Welcome aboard. Enjoy yourself.

04-11-2012, 09:24 PM
Welcome, Efi and Bob, too.

04-11-2012, 09:37 PM
Hello Everyone
My name is Julie, I am 25 years old, from Ontario, Canada. I have been an atheist since I was about 10 years old, and my family knew about my lack of belief. But part of me thinks they thought I was going through a phase. In the last year I have more publicly made my feelings known, and The Thinking Atheist and Seth Andrews were a big part of that. I finally really understood that I wasn't weird, and that I wasn't alone.

I am glad this forum exists, I always look forward having real discussions with like-minded people! Thank you all for being here!!

Cheers
Julie
[+] 1 user Likes Julie15's post
04-11-2012, 09:47 PM
Introduce Yourself HERE!
Welcome, fresh blood. I mean, welcome fresh meat.
No, I mean welcome one and all! Thumbsup

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
04-11-2012, 09:49 PM
Hello,

I am a social studies teacher and a recovering Roman Catholic. My wife and I are international teachers currently living in Shanghai, China. We do not have any children but we have one dog- Beauregard; he is a mix Australian Sheep Dog and Rat Terrier. I am originally from New Orleans. I have lived all over; Africa, Middle East, and now, the Far East.

My progression to the irreligious was slow and steady. I consider a natural progression from abandoning the trap of the two party system to adopting a Libertarian view. It was natural to question other parts of my life. It started small; the trinity. At this point I read up on Arianism, but overtime that only generated more questions. As the question accumulated, I drifted to Deism. Now, I more or less waver. I am more or less agnostic. Depending on how you define atheism, I could be considered Atheist.

Thanks

<---PikeStance----
New Orleans Native
Shanghai, China
05-11-2012, 06:26 AM
Hello,

Roman Catholicism was my childhood delusion. It's difficult in Kenya to find anyone who shares my views and most people here who are non-believers tend to keep it under wraps. I don't know that I am an atheist I just can't find any proof for the existence of a benevolent God and until I do find proof for its existence I would say I identify more with Atheism then with any of the religions.

Thanks
---------------
Njonjo (Pronounced John-Joe if anyone cares)

Nairobi, Kenya

---------------------------------------------------------------
Knowledge can be given, Understanding must be earned
[+] 1 user Likes Andrew_Njonjo's post
05-11-2012, 08:07 AM
Hello. Posting here from North Carolina. I've been an atheist since I was about 9, even though I was raised Christian it thankfully never took. It just never made any sense, while science made a lot of sense.
My wife is essentially a deist at this point and we don't argue about it. We have two children (1yo boy, 4yo girl) and we're both set to raise them as skeptics and teach them about the world and all of its religions and let them decide when they're older what they want to believe.
I have been getting into discussions with my pastor cousin ever since I posted a "Hi Mom, I'm an atheist" pic online from the Reason Rally. I have him doubting Genesis as being literally true so there's progress there.
Beyond that I play video games, mostly fighting games on console and online games on PC. HalophilicNC on XBox Live if you want to fight or chat. Smile
[+] 1 user Likes Halophilic's post
05-11-2012, 11:23 AM
(05-11-2012 06:26 AM)Andrew_Njonjo Wrote:  Hello,

Roman Catholicism was my childhood delusion. It's difficult in Kenya to find anyone who shares my views and most people here who are non-believers tend to keep it under wraps. I don't know that I am an atheist I just can't find any proof for the existence of a benevolent God and until I do find proof for its existence I would say I identify more with Atheism then with any of the religions.

Thanks
---------------
Njonjo (Pronounced John-Joe if anyone cares)

Nairobi, Kenya
Yayayayay Smile More people from Africa Smile Welcome to the forum !
Thread Closed