Introduce Yourself HERE!
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 5 Average
07-11-2012, 08:18 AM
RE: Reintroducing Myself
(06-11-2012 11:57 PM)dclarion Wrote:  
(06-11-2012 11:39 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  That may be up for TTA quote of the year ! Tongue
Welcome.
Thanks, Bucky. Ann became one of those really annoying and scary Pentacostal types. She died five years ago, aged 46, of a cerebral hemmorhage. I truly hope that she is with her Jesus (in terms of her last thought), but did she really have to hammer everyone else over the head with him?

What is so truly sad is that, of the two they started with, my parents (and I employ the term generously) now have only one, and that is St. Ann. They wrote me off when I finally had to come out as transsexual because it was getting hard to hide.
From which, to which?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-11-2012, 03:50 PM
RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
Greetings Everyone!

I must first say that I stumbled upon the Thinking Atheist podcast very recently. I have been struggling for many years with my inability to swallow the religious dogma of the Christian faith. My grandfather was a fire-and-brimstone Baptist minister when I was younger and even though I wasn't raised in church it was a given that you would believe. For many years I did until I realized a very simple fact....the basis for my belief was due to indoctrination from a very young age. I realized that true faith should be able to withstand the test of questioning. So I did just that, I questioned everything and everyone that professed a belief in Christianity. I became a little obsessive and devoured whatever information I came in contact with about Christianity, historical references, scientific reasoning, etc. so long as it related to Christianity. Doing this has given me the tools I required to question what Christians try to spoon feed me and attempt to get them to think about what they are professing to believe in. It all seems to come back to them finally replying "who are we to question god?", as if it is the grand trump card.

I am sure this story is no different than that of many others and the only thing that makes it different is that it is mine.

I have come to a point of transition. Although with what I have said previously I am not sure why I cannot take my final steps. I live in Southeast Missouri not too far from the General Baptist World Headquarters (at least that is what the building says on the outside). We seen to have a church on every corner and down every country road. My problem is this, I cannot get past that deeply embedded doubting question of "what if I am wrong?" and I just don't no what to do about it.

My friends and family are all "faithful" to one extent or another. I truly doubt they would be supportive at all. This does not include my wife (who is at the same point I am) or my daughter (whom we raised without religious influences so she could make a rational decision for herself when she matured).

In summary, I suppose I am looking for a sounding board and support while I make this final transition. I am a logically thinking person but that little voice keeps eating away at me.

Thanks for having me!
Find all posts by this user
07-11-2012, 11:14 PM
(07-11-2012 03:50 PM)Wolftyr72 Wrote:  Greetings Everyone!
In summary, I suppose I am looking for a sounding board and support while I make this final transition. I am a logically thinking person but that little voice keeps eating away at me.

Welcome! We got plenty of sounding boards and support here. ... Not too sure about that little voice of your's eating away at you though. Big Grin

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
08-11-2012, 02:49 AM (This post was last modified: 08-11-2012 08:43 AM by kingschosen.)
Hi all,
I am Kir Komrik, and Kir is pronounced like "car".

I have been atheist all my life and my family has as well for as many generations as I know of.
I am interested in deconversion and global rule of law. My family are deconverters and originated from a Shia nation on one side and a partly Sufi nation on another. I look forward to intelligent, civil conversation for learning and illumination.

MOD EDIT: You may advertise other sites when you become a more active member here.

-- kk
[Image: image028.png]
08-11-2012, 04:19 AM
(07-11-2012 03:50 PM)Wolftyr72 Wrote:  Greetings Everyone!

My friends and family are all "faithful" to one extent or another. I truly doubt they would be supportive at all. This does not include my wife (who is at the same point I am) or my daughter (whom we raised without religious influences so she could make a rational decision for herself when she matured).

Thanks for having me!
Hey man, Hope you can learn something during your stay.

Don't sweat the voices, some insanity is to be expected when coming out of young-age indoctrination, hell a lot of minds break during the process. (I'm looking at you "I just know *begins crying*" crowd!)
(Edit): Hell, I have voices in my head, and I never broke out of indoctrination, they mostly involve whispers of stabbing and burning....

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
08-11-2012, 12:21 PM
From Nigeria ....a computer expert and Andriod genuis, used to b a strong devoted Jehovah's witness until 2011
Just 21 years

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

[+] 2 users Like SkepticalChima's post
08-11-2012, 01:45 PM
(08-11-2012 12:21 PM)SkepticalChima Wrote:  From Nigeria ....a computer expert and Andriod genuis, used to b a strong devoted Jehovah's witness until 2011
Just 21 years
Welcome Smile
08-11-2012, 06:05 PM
Hi all, happy to have found you. I'm a 35 year old mother and military spouse (previously active duty myself). It seems like I live perpetually surrounded by very religious people, it is exhausting. I'm a happy person and I think that the world is amazing and intriguing, but I don't understand why I'm one of the only atheists I know...
08-11-2012, 07:12 PM (This post was last modified: 08-11-2012 07:15 PM by GirlyMan.)
(08-11-2012 12:21 PM)SkepticalChima Wrote:  From Nigeria ....a computer expert and Andriod genuis, used to b a strong devoted Jehovah's witness until 2011
Just 21 years

Yay, yet another programmer! Fuck the meek, Blessed are the programmers; for we shall inherit the Earth. Evil_monster

(08-11-2012 06:05 PM)FICKLEish Wrote:  Hi all, happy to have found you. I'm a 35 year old mother and military spouse (previously active duty myself). It seems like I live perpetually surrounded by very religious people, it is exhausting. I'm a happy person and I think that the world is amazing and intriguing, but I don't understand why I'm one of the only atheists I know...

Howdy. [Image: Tip-Hat.gif]

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
09-11-2012, 05:03 AM
Hi my name is deane a guy from the Philippines an atheist, never once was a believer not the fault of my parents, both catholics and church goers. It was never my choice to be one. Corrupted priests in the country and Religion going into politic's business never made me regret my decision or belief or not believing for that matter. Anyways, good day to everyone! Stay safe, also i'm a safety officer by the way specializing in H2S! lol
Thread Closed