Introduce Yourself HERE!
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 5 Average
10-11-2012, 11:13 AM
RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
(10-11-2012 07:01 AM)ewjones Wrote:  I'm Evan. I'm 26 and had the luxury of growing up in Iowa, not traditionally thought of as a heavy Christian or religious area. And it's not. I was able to make up my own mind early on, and can still remember the specific moment I became atheist. I was raised Catholic, so believing in God was something people told me, but because my parents (mom specifically) were devout, I didn't give it much thought until I was 14. If anyone wants to hear my stories, feel free to message me.
To Seth: Thank you for developing this site, and more importantly thank you for the podcasts. I just stumbled onto them two days ago and have already listened to nearly a dozen of them. They give me comfort and hope for my future, that maybe I can help the world by doing something similar. I pretty much hate my job, and would LOVE to do something similar to The Thinking Atheist as a full time job.
Finally! A relative.

Welcome.

Find all posts by this user
10-11-2012, 07:46 PM
Hello everyone, I'm new to TTA.com. I would post my name, but I would prefer to keep that to myself for several reasons (the main reason is described below). I've listened to Seth's podcasts since the beginning, and I figured it was finally time to make my presence known. My "story," in all likelihood, isn't much different than most others', but I think I'll share it anyway.

I was born and raised in Northwestern New York, and my family was Catholic. Despite being forced to attend weekly mass and an evening Sunday school in order to lead up to my inevitable Confirmation, I acquired a bent of skepticism about everything the church was teaching me. Honestly, the first "skeptical" thought I could remember having was around age 6 on a Sunday night when I was watching the Simpsons and my dad made me turn it off in order to leave for the evening Sunday school class. My little six-year old brain said to itself: "What kind of 'loving' God would interrupt the Simpsons?"

The skepticism grew from there, and, with it, the amount of trouble I would get into as a result of it. One instance of trouble I remember getting involved in was in Sunday school again, where they issued us our very own Bible. When I received mine, I looked it over and saw that there was a barcode on the back along with a "suggested retail price." I wasn't very old at the time, but I did understand the concept of money, and it just seemed that the "God" that they preached to me about every week would be somewhat higher than having his "word" stamped with symbols in relation to something materialistic as cash, then handed out by his very own followers to new-followers. Anyway, I used my pen to circle the price and barcode, then wrote: "Why is this on the Bible?" When the teacher saw it, there was a huge uproar over how I "defaced" the Bible and was making fun of the Church. My parents were called, and they had to have a talk with the teacher about it. Never once did anyone address my question. There were many more circumstances like that one, but I'll spare anyone who is still reading this from having to read more.

Long story short, it wasn't until I left to college that I finally fully lost my faith and started calling myself an atheist. When I arrived at college, I knew that I eventually wanted to go to Law School and I wanted to study Political Science as my undergrad major, but I had no idea what my minor would be. In search of a minor that I would enjoy, I took an elective Intro to Philosophy course where I met a professor that would change my life. The professor never said it in class, but he was an agnostic atheist, and the way he taught/lectured opened my eyes to real critical thinking. Over the course of four years of philosophical studying for my minor, and getting to know the professor outside of the classroom, I had the pleasure of reading so many recommended famous atheist thinkers' works that I cannot describe the depth of gratitude I owe to that professor.

My years in undergrad caused me to go through the typical "evangelical atheist" phase where I would comment on every religious thing I saw or overheard. My Facebook wall was filled with countless anti-religion quotes and/or slogans and arguments with any theist who would take the time to bicker with me. Toward the end of my college-career I had taken three logic/rhetoric courses, and most arguments would end up with me simply copy/pasting or reciting my notes on various logical fallacies. There were even times where I would spend hours arguing with the street preachers that would plague the campus walkways.

The fervor and frequency of my arguments was quashed during my last semester of college, where I started to apply for law school. It came to my attention that law schools would frequently look up your Facebook profile, online information, etc. and judge you based on that in addition to your application. Furthermore, after law school, a potential attorney must also apply for entry unto the state bar -- and such an application requires a background check and "fitness review," both involving inquiries into applicants' internet activities. While everyone knows that institutions are not legally supposed to consider beliefs, or lack thereof, when considering applicants (Grutter v. Bollinger aside) -- we all know very well that such is not the case in practice. So, with a heavy heart, I put my vocal-atheism aside and ceased most of the online arguments with my name attached.

These days, I am 24 years old and in my second year of law school. I spend a lot of my time reading atheist blogs, watching TTA podcasts and other atheist videos, and reviewing the countless debates/discussions of famous atheist thinkers. I still manage to have many religious discussions/debates with people in my life, and it's very difficult to not drag them onto social media where my name is attached. Lately, I've considered making a blog under a pseudonym to post my thoughts, essays, and debates with people.

Other than my religious/atheist background, I am an avid player of Magic: the Gathering, and I love political discussions/debates as well (given my POLS major) -- especially on U.S. Constitutional law. I also have a slight addiction to playing Diablo III, that I'm sure will kill my GPA when this semester's finals roll around in a few weeks.

I look forward to becoming part of the TTA community.

"More and more is being relentlessly subtracted from less and less."
-- Christopher Hitchens, Mortality
10-11-2012, 08:10 PM
Hey Solution, it's nice to see another person whom (naturally) is more qualified than myself in every single way...

Well, wish you luck here and hope to see you around, you seem very well spoken.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
10-11-2012, 10:48 PM
(10-11-2012 08:10 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  Well, wish you luck here and hope to see you around, you seem very well spoken.
This.

Hope to see you around.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
10-11-2012, 11:05 PM
(10-11-2012 07:46 PM)The Solution Wrote:  I am an avid player of Magic: the Gathering . . .I also have a slight addiction to playing Diablo III, that I'm sure will kill my GPA when this semester's finals roll around in a few weeks.
Well, well, well. First of all, welcome. Second of all, I still have some Alpha cards buried in a box somewhere, though I sold pretty much all of the good stuff a number of years ago when I was newly married and strapped for cash. No Black Lotuses or Moxes, unfortunately. I sold three Unlimited Moxes about 17 years ago for $20.00 each. *smashes fist to head* stupid, stupid, stupid. Interest, time, and resources have waned in the past years. I did play online for a while, and most recently grabbed Duel of the Planeswalkers 2013 for my iPad, which I enjoy even in its limited form.

Diablo III. Level 7 Paragon. Just hit act III Inferno. F-Y-I.

Oh, did I say welcome?
11-11-2012, 03:48 AM
(10-11-2012 08:10 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  Hey Solution, it's nice to see another person whom (naturally) is more qualified than myself in every single way...

Well, wish you luck here and hope to see you around, you seem very well spoken.
Thank you, my friend. You give me far too much credit, I'm sure. I'm simply happy to have finally joined the online community.
Quote:Hope to see you around.
Same to you! Thank you for your welcome!
Quote:Well,
well, well. First of all, welcome. Second of all, I still have some
Alpha cards buried in a box somewhere, though I sold pretty much all of
the good stuff a number of years ago when I was newly married and
strapped for cash. No Black Lotuses or Moxes, unfortunately. I sold
three Unlimited Moxes about 17 years ago for $20.00 each. *smashes fist
to head* stupid, stupid, stupid. Interest, time, and resources have
waned in the past years. I did play online for a while, and most
recently grabbed Duel of the Planeswalkers 2013 for my iPad, which I
enjoy even in its limited form.

Diablo III. Level 7 Paragon. Just hit act III Inferno. F-Y-I.

Oh, did I say welcome?
It's nice to see another "nerd" like myself here! I can't imagine the loss felt for having sold some Moxes for $20/ea, but I know the feeling of having traded some very valuable cards (Sinkhole, Library of Alexandria, Mishra's Workshop, Force of Will, etc...) over the course of my MtG "career." I've collected since Fallen Empires (I had no idea what the cards were even about then, I just liked the art as a little kid), and I started actually learning how to play during the Ice Age and Alliances blocks. I haven't checked out Duel of the Planeswalkers yet, but I've heard really good things.

As for Diablo III, I'm currently playing a level 24 paragon Monk, and I also have a level 60 Demon Hunter and 53 Wizard. If you would ever like to team up or anything, let me know and I'll PM you my blizzard tag.

Thanks for the great reception everyone!

"More and more is being relentlessly subtracted from less and less."
-- Christopher Hitchens, Mortality
11-11-2012, 11:24 PM
Hello! I am a student attending University of California, Irvine in the United States. I am majoring in Biological Sciences and planning on becoming an MD at some point in the future.

I was raised Catholic and attended private Catholic school for eight years of my life. I began becoming skeptical of religion about one to two years ago, and I finally managed to break free about two to three months ago. I have considered myself to be an atheist ever since then.
12-11-2012, 01:04 AM
Hello everyone, my name is Steve Tillman. I am 21 and I am an atheist from northern Indiana. I have a beautiful wife and daughter and I am a Very open Atheist. I am the only Atheist in my family and it is acce[pted for the most part. I am just looking to talk to like minded people and to have intellectual conversations and debates. And for the record I am infact crippled..lol

"IT'S CALLED FAITH BECAUSE IT'S NOT KNOWLEDGE"-Christopher Hitchens
12-11-2012, 02:29 AM
Hell-o

My name is Ben and I'm forty. (looking into dropping the Biblical name)

I lost my faith in Xtianity at 13. I was raised and educated as a Catholic. (that's halfway to atheism right there!)

At twelve I was forced to live with my absentee father and his Stepford Wife. They were extremely conservative southern Lutherans. I was pressured into converting and was forced to attend Bible study. Reading a little of that shit along with the doctrine of hell soon converted me instead into an intolerably militant atheist.

I have mellowed into a "tooth fairy agnostic" but identify myself as an atheist.

I have come out to everyone but my Dads side of the family. I don't pretend to be Christian but I don't press the issue. I was estranged from my father for twenty years and fear I will lose him again upon revelation of my disbelief.

I have resolved that after this holiday season I will come out completely. I feel sure I will be cut off from everyone on my fathers side of the family except maybe my half sisters. I don't think anyone in my whole family has read The Bible from cover to cover. And the most pious have probably read the least.
12-11-2012, 07:32 AM
I'm a new member from deep down in the Bible belt. Former Church of God member of 20 years. My wife & I are the only atheists we know in several counties surrounding our area, so communities like these are invaluable to me. Became a big fan of TTA podcasts on Youtube! Seth is such an eloquent speaker and so well-mannered to everyone.
Thread Closed