Introduce Yourself HERE!
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 5 Average
13-02-2011, 09:31 PM
RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
(12-02-2011 10:25 PM)Unbeliever Wrote:  At this point, "Nibiru" is a Pavlovian phrase for me. Tongue

Does reading it make you start salivating? Tongue

My reason for being is to serve as a cat cushion. That is good enough for me. Wink
Find all posts by this user
14-02-2011, 12:39 AM
Welcome Fran and Shaybay. Losing my beliefs turned out to be a good thing for many reasons. For one I learn more now that I am open to learning. Belief is a door you close on learning within any subject that you have beliefs about.

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
14-02-2011, 06:57 AM

Hi,

I'm Janelle and I live in Australia. I don't ever remember actually believing in God. I was sent to Sunday School when I was young, and I would always be the one to ask the obvious questions about the stupid stories. So I ended up telling my mum that I did not want to go again and that I would just leave if she did send me and that was the end of my religious education.

I really didn't think too much more about it until I read the God Delusion when it first came out and now I feel that I must try and do my bit to get some rationality back in this crazy world. (At least my 2 children are atheists).

Now I am reading heaps and trying to educate myself more so that I can help others to see the light.

I love it when I hear that more and more people are coming out and saying that they don't believe!!
Smile
14-02-2011, 09:31 AM

Hi people,

I'm Paul, a 19 year old university undergraduate in Utrecht, the Netherlands. Religion was never an issue of debate at my home. My father comes from a Christian home, and is a Christian apologist, while my mother was raised as a secular humanist, so religious debate was usually swept under the rug.

My father and his parents have tried to introduce me to Christianity. I had a children's bible and every once in a while, my grandparents would take me to Sunday School. In Sunday School I learned that Christianity didn't make a whole lot of sense, nor did it match up to my concept of fairness. In this period of time I was diagnosed with Autism (PDD-NOS, to be precise) and since then I basically devoted my life to finding out why and how I was different. The search pushed me further away from religion, as no religion could give any sort of answer.

Then I got sent to a Christian High School. This was not a devious ploy by my father or anything, it was simply the nearest school. Here I was forced into a number of religious activities I never enjoyed. At times I even felt discriminated against, but I kept my mouth shut (except to the art teacher, that guy was awesome). In those days I started watching atheist activist videos on youtube to reaffirm to myself that I wasn't alone in my reasoning.

Here's to hoping this wasn't the longest introduction in this thread, and to an enjoyable time on the forums.
Huzzah!
14-02-2011, 10:55 AM
Wellcome, all of you! Quite a rush of new members.

Correct me when I'm wrong.
Accept me or go to hell.
14-02-2011, 08:48 PM

Hey all,
I just turned 40 yrs old, and I have been and Atheist my entire life. I grew up in a very small town in Iowa and I did what mom and dad said so. I didn't have the resources people have today to feed my curiosity. I never believed in a god even though I went to church with my mom every Sunday and did 13 years of Sunday school and vacation bible school (at 2 different churches). I started questioning the bible stories when I was very young and then I went through 2 years of confirmation classes which actually solidified my disbelief in god instead of affirming it. I was unfortunately confirmed in the United Methodist Church. I labeled myself an atheist in high school but realized very quickly that that was not a good thing to do. I have kept my beliefs to myself long enough and just recently I have become very vocal about my disdain for religion. I am watching everything I can, reading what I can, I am educating myself so I can publicly defend myself and my beliefs. I am trying to get involved in the local atheist community in hopes to find myself.
14-02-2011, 10:29 PM

Hi all!

I am Drevik, and I was born in Glasgow, Scotland. I was taken to Amerika in early childhood. I am 16 years old and have been an atheist 4 years. I am a very open person, and accept anyone, regardless of religion, race, sex, etc...

I have a mild form of autism, so if I don't click with what you're saying immediately, I do apologise. Undecided

I look forward to contributing to the community here Smile
17-02-2011, 04:36 PM
The forum is expanding at a geometric rate! I don't know how much longer she'll hold together, Cap'n!

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
17-02-2011, 09:54 PM
(17-02-2011 04:36 PM)Unbeliever Wrote:  The forum is expanding at a geometric rate! I don't know how much longer she'll hold together, Cap'n!

Woohoo!!! Big Grin

My reason for being is to serve as a cat cushion. That is good enough for me. Wink
19-02-2011, 02:52 AM

Hi, I'm Rolf from Germany and joined this group a few days ago. I'm not a member of any church or religion, but being a convinced atheist. My American friends keep tryig to convince me that one day, I'll be roasted in hell. LOL

Rolf Big Grin

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Thread Closed