Introduce Yourself HERE!
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 5 Average
13-11-2012, 07:10 PM
RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
Hey, so, are people still introducing themselves? I really hope so because otherwise I'm about to look ridiculous.

Yeah so my name is Clare (obviously) and I am from South Carolina, I've been calling myself an atheist for about a year though I've been non-religious since I was 16 (I was raised baptist). My mom is a kindergarten christian school teacher who goes to church three times a week, and I am a 23 year old heathen with tattoos that listens to a lot of Dan Savage, so you know I've got some fun issues to unpack in the psychology forums. When I'm not disappointing my parents and corrupting my younger sister, I like reading, writing, knitting, drinking coffee, spending a lot of time in armchairs, and otherwise acting like a retired librarian.

I'm basically here because I have been craving a community of people that believe the same way I do and can help me answer questions as I shed my religious upbringing. I have a great boyfriend who is a skeptic, but he's my only human resource in this podunk town and sometimes you just need a third opinion on things. I've listened to the podcast for about half a year now, and I can't believe it took me this long to join the forums, but so it goes.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like sweetclare's post
13-11-2012, 07:53 PM
Re: Introduce Yourself HERE!
I'm Graham from Scotland. I wasn't raised particularly religious but my family identify as Christians as did I for a lot of years, but didn't go to church or anything. About 5 years ago I got to thinking more and more about religion and the more I studied it the more I realised it was a pile of crap, so started looking up atheists on youtube and happened upon The Thinking Atheist, so that's why I'm here
Angel

We are made of star stuff...
[+] 1 user Likes grahamlive's post
13-11-2012, 08:08 PM
(13-11-2012 07:10 PM)sweetclare Wrote:  Hey, so, are people still introducing themselves? I really hope so because otherwise I'm about to look ridiculous.

Yeah so my name is Clare (obviously) and I am from South Carolina, I've been calling myself an atheist for about a year though I've been non-religious since I was 16 (I was raised baptist). My mom is a kindergarten christian school teacher who goes to church three times a week, and I am a 23 year old heathen with tattoos that listens to a lot of Dan Savage, so you know I've got some fun issues to unpack in the psychology forums. When I'm not disappointing my parents and corrupting my younger sister, I like reading, writing, knitting, drinking coffee, spending a lot of time in armchairs, and otherwise acting like a retired librarian.

I'm basically here because I have been craving a community of people that believe the same way I do and can help me answer questions as I shed my religious upbringing. I have a great boyfriend who is a skeptic, but he's my only human resource in this podunk town and sometimes you just need a third opinion on things. I've listened to the podcast for about half a year now, and I can't believe it took me this long to join the forums, but so it goes.

Welcome! I've been skeptical for years now. I went to a baptist school. I think the more closed off a religion is, the more likely they are (or seem ro) yeild non-believers.
Again welcome,
Kelly
[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
13-11-2012, 08:10 PM
(13-11-2012 07:53 PM)grahamlive Wrote:  I'm Graham from Scotland. I wasn't raised particularly religious but my family identify as Christians as did I for a lot of years, but didn't go to church or anything. About 5 years ago I got to thinking more and more about religion and the more I studied it the more I realised it was a pile of crap, so started looking up atheists on youtube and happened upon The Thinking Atheist, so that's why I'm here
Angel

Welcome Graham! It is a pile of crap! ;-)
Kelly
[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
13-11-2012, 08:46 PM
Hi,

I'm Anna. I live in the UK. I'm a full time mum (a 3yr old, a 1 yr old and one due in 6 weeks) and part time history student. I also blog when time allows. Been listening for ages but only tuned into the live show for the first time tonight. So glad I did.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
13-11-2012, 08:47 PM
Hi, my name is Nicole and I am 28 years old from New Jersey. A lot of
things about me confuse people. They ask why am I an atheist? I say
because I just refuse to believe in fairy tales and recognize human
evolution and innovation. The idea that we, ourselves are the ones that
decided to be moral, out right human beings and evolve beyond our
primitive natures. We don't need a false idol to dictate our morality. I
am not a militant Atheist, but I am close enough. Most people say I
step too many boundaries with my opinions, but when you think of it how
many religious folk walked all over other people's shoes? I am not say I
am correct in my actions, just saying I have a strong, unorthodox
opinion of the world. I grew up Catholic, then I converted to more
Wiccan based religions... Yes, I was a Wiccan but really that had to
stem from my fascination with mythology, fantasy and culture (which I am
still fascinated in). I realized at that moment that religion was
nothing more then a story, not a factual story but fictional story to
ease the minds of men. We create fairy tales to instil morality on our
children, how is this no different? The more I research, the more I
realized I was becoming more and more of an Atheist. I started going the
agnostic root and then completely, cold turkey atheist. My parents,
especially my mom said I should believe in something but she doesn't
really cry about it. I guess you can say they are open minded and I was
lucky on that front. I do have a boyfriend who believes in God, but he
doesn't seem to impose his views. We do get into some odd arguments, but
he doesn't always see my view point. It is hard and I can come off as a
bitch sometimes, but all well. Anyway, I guess I will see you all
around the boards!
14-11-2012, 12:00 AM (This post was last modified: 14-11-2012 12:07 AM by GirlyMan.)
(13-11-2012 08:08 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(13-11-2012 07:10 PM)sweetclare Wrote:  Hey, so, are people still introducing themselves? I really hope so because otherwise I'm about to look ridiculous.

Welcome! I've been skeptical for years now. I went to a baptist school. I think the more closed off a religion is, the more likely they are (or seem ro) yeild non-believers.
Again welcome,
Kelly

Not sure I agree with that. But think there's nothing better than a parochial education to turn out smart as shit atheists. Worked for me raised Baptist and educated in a Lutheran School K-9. Bucky Ball's experience is even more impressive. He's working on a goddam Doctor of Divinity PhD thesis as an atheist. That's fucking impressive.

Welcome SurroundedByTooMuchTestosterone!

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
14-11-2012, 08:27 AM
Hi there all, my name is Lee, I'm from England I'm Atheist, im quite open about that and as we are quite common in the uk it is no big deal.
I'm 42 and married and just popped in to say hello all.
14-11-2012, 12:21 PM
(14-11-2012 08:27 AM)S3AB1SCU1T Wrote:  Hi there all, my name is Lee, I'm from England I'm Atheist, im quite open about that and as we are quite common in the uk it is no big deal.
I'm 42 and married and just popped in to say hello all.
And I'm guessing you like horse racing and 133+5p34k too?

Welcome to the forums!

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
14-11-2012, 12:30 PM
Hi Everyone,
My name is Mike. I'm polish - living in Cardiff (Wales, UK).
I was born in a catholic family, but not very religious. I was baptised when I was too young to say "NO!" Wink
I'm afterFirst Holy Communion (8 y.o.). I didn't have "Confirmation" - I was old enough to say "NO!".
I don't remember the exact moment when I became to call myself an atheist. I never cared much about the religion, I didn't think about it, it was like it was.
In 1990 (I was 12) government moved "Religion Education" from church to the public schools -It was fist moment when I started to think.
"Why, the hell, between mathematics and physics I need to listen to a priest, say a prayer at the beginning, tell about a Sunday mass (to prove that I was there), etc.?"
First of all, I was pissed off, that under the name "Religion Education" is hiding: "Catholic Propaganda". I started to be more and more anticlerical.

Last year of primary school (I was 14-15) was the time of "Confirmation". I said to my parents that I don't want to do it, and they said that it was my choice. That time I hated Roman Catholic Church so much, that denying "Confirmation" was for me also a best way to avoid being a God Father, and having a church wedding in the future. I thought to myself: "You never know, if you meet a religious girl, and she will want a church wedding, etc. You need to have a simple explanation, why you don't want to do it." Wink
I was an atheist that time, but I didn't use that "word". It was more like: "non-beliver", "Raca", "Godless", etc.
I passed four years of High-school without much thinking about religion. There was no obligation to take take part of "Religion Education" so we spent that 45 minutes, every week, on things that we shouldn't do -like... smoking fags, drinking beer... Big Grin That's the story that I won't be able to tell to my grandchildren Big Grin On the other hand... I have not many stories that I could tell my future grand kids, if you know what I mean Wink
When I was in college (Polish-Japanese Institute of Information Technology), I've been dating a very(!) intelligent (but very religious) girl. We've had thousands of conversations about religion. Than I started to read about it, to have a "background" for our conversations.
First book I've read was "The biggest lies and hoaxes in the history of the Church." by Leslaw Zukowski (I don't know about any translation from polish.)
I was shocked, not only with the facts from the history of the Church but also with the quotes from the Bible. It was a very strong "weapon" for me Smile
Some time later my religious girlfriend bought me a birthday present... "The Satanic Bible" by Anton Szandor Lavey. I found it extremely interesting, philosophical book.
Then I started to read the Bible... Not from cover to cover, but selected fragments.
Now, when I read it from cover to cover, people say to me very often: "How is that possible that you know The Bible so good -more than most of Christians- if you are an atheist?" You know my answer for that question Wink

BTW, in Poland we have an expression: "non-practicing believer" - after reading these books, I started to call myself "practicing atheist", because I started to look for every occasion to talk about religion/atheism, and trying to "convert" everyone to atheism. Of course I didn't do it with everyone I've met -only with people who mentioned their believes during the conversation, or were trying to "convert" me.
In 2007 something great happened... polish edition of "The God Delusion" appeared... Bloody expensive book for me, that time, but I bought it and read it... It was (and still is) the most important book in my life.
After reading these books, I've mentioned, now I have dozens of converted atheists "on my account" -including my parents, and my six years younger brother.
Many other events in my life caused that now, on my book shelf I have also "Jehovah's Witnesses Bible" and "Book of Mormon" - which is really hard to get -the only way to get it, is to have it from Mormons -it took several hours of meetings with them before they gave it to me Wink

That's all for now from me.
Cheers!
Mike.
P.S.
Sorry for my English.

"Everyone was born as an atheist."
http://www.facebook.com/hagios44
Thread Closed