Introduce Yourself HERE!
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 5 Average
01-12-2012, 05:41 PM
RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
Hello all!
I haven't been an active member of a forum in years. Not since I was very active in a dog rescue group.
I struggled to overcome the brainwashing of my youth. I am an open atheist around anyone in person but not on facebook. This is because my mother is on facebook and she is such a devote christian that I worry that she would worry herself sick if she thought I was going to hell. So like a tattoo before you move out, all my friends know but my mother can't yet.
She did post on facebook that she got a tattoo yesterday though. Maybe now that she receives a social security check she is starting to loosen up a tad?
Anyhow, I read a few posts as a guest and I figure if I enjoyed it I could be a somewhat inactive member. I will try and remember to participate but I'm not very socially active online.
Nat
Find all posts by this user
01-12-2012, 05:49 PM
Hello everyone,

My name is Jamie and I would like to say hello. I found this site via Google search. I am 33 years old. My immediate family members are evangelical christians so that makes me the black sheep by default. They don't know of my atheism because I fear they would never get off my back about it.

I post once in a while but I am mostly a lurker when it comes to forums, but I usually introduce myself.
[+] 1 user Likes graffias79's post
01-12-2012, 07:24 PM
Hello, and thank you for allowing me to be part of the discussion here. I live in the deep red neck, conservative state of North Carolina. We have an active KKK base or so I am told and reminded often by some proud active members. This is not something I am not proud of, but I want to share the nature and the reason an outlet such as this forum is important to me.
Being surrounded by racist, homophobic Christians I often feel alone an an Atheist as there are very few people I know who would even think out loud that they had any doubt in the loving god of the bible. In private a few have opened up and some questions were shared in secret but none of my friends feel that I am wish to openly admit that I am an Atheist.
I have been told by some not to be too verbal, but I never engage anyone unless they ask me about my lack of faith and I give me a kind but honest reply. I do not seek them out or argue as I have learned I cannot reason with unreasonable people.
I am one of those rare Atheist with the opinion that religion is some strange form of mental illness and should be treated when it presents a danger to self or others.
[+] 1 user Likes santana's post
02-12-2012, 03:04 AM
an atheist from the philippines...
02-12-2012, 01:36 PM
Well met!

I'm just your average meta-agnostic from the mystical continent known as Europe. A former catholic who mainly loved the smells and bells.
[+] 1 user Likes Tetrarch's post
03-12-2012, 02:03 AM
Hi everybody - I'm mostly a TTA podcast listener. I was hoping there was a thread for each podcast so we could discuss (like SGU has). I listened to Seth Andrews on The Eternal Planner - Nov 29,2012 twice, and I enjoyed the tone of the conversation... but Rob didn't seem to understand rational thought.
03-12-2012, 10:17 AM
Hey, everyone!

I joined after realizing that I need more atheist friends and that's pretty much all there is to it.

Can't wait to start posting! This place seems great.

Smile
03-12-2012, 12:10 PM
Hello fellow thinkers
Hello Infidels
I am a biology major currently working towards a degree in Molecular/Evolutionary Biology and of course am a non-believer along with most of the other biologists in the world. I believe that it really isnt the study of biology that kills religion but the scientific method itself because it teaches you to weigh out the facts about the world around you and throw out all the dogma.
I was raised southern baptist but developed doubts as a young child because not only is Noah's ark completely stupid but no matter how hard I prayed for the first 7 or 8 years of my life I could'nt breathe due to severe asthma and was hospitalized in kindergarden for a couple of weeks.
I am happily married to the most wonderful non-believer I have ever met that challenges my belief or non-belief whenever she can and always keeps me mentally on my toes. I hope that everyone finds the kind of love I have found.
I am an adamant humanist and fight for freedom for EVERYONE. I argue for evolution, science, and moral justice and thoroughly enjoy Seth's show. I hope that everyone enjoys life to the fullest and finds the happiness we all deserve.

"Extraordinary claims require Extraordinary evidence"
- Carl Sagan
"If fifty million people say a foolish thing, its still a foolish thing"
- Bertrand Russell
03-12-2012, 01:30 PM
RE: Hello fellow thinkers
(03-12-2012 12:10 PM)Sephirothandrews Wrote:  hospitalized in kindergarden
Er... how old was your doctor ? Tongue

Welcome Smile
03-12-2012, 02:35 PM
Hi all ~

I'm a 50 year old mother of three - brought up Congregationalist, converted to Catholicism at 39; got pregnant (one more time - Surprise!!!) at 40 and was an atheist by the end of the pregnancy. I'm very opinionated and not generally afraid to speak my mind. For the past 10 years I've gone back and forth between wondering if there's a good reason to go back to christianity (guilt???) and despising what it does to the world. I always find reasons to despise what it does; I've never found a reason to go back. I enjoy the feeling of support I get from fellow atheists/agnostics and I love listening to and watching the Thinking Atheist productions.

...I'm looking forward to getting to know you all!!!

Sara
Thread Closed