Introduce Yourself HERE!
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 5 Average
19-02-2011, 01:28 PM
RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
Welcome to TTAF!

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
Find all posts by this user
19-02-2011, 11:19 PM
Hi, I've been a sceptic for maybe around 1-2 years but I have reservations before I found Richard Dawkins book and videos and finding your podcast. Rock on !!
23-02-2011, 08:37 AM

American student currently studying in Paris. I was raised atheist, and have never questioned whether it was the right thing to believe in. *shrug* dunno what else to say, so hi.
23-02-2011, 09:58 AM
Welcome to TTAF!

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
24-02-2011, 06:54 AM

Hi folks... I just found this website after watching some youtube videos on evolution. This is perhaps, the most important forum of modern times. I will pass this along. It is nice to have others with similar thoughts. I work as a fireman/paramedic, married with two kids. I live in the woods on a few acres in New Mexico, USA. Oh, and I've been an atheist since birth.
26-02-2011, 05:20 PM

41 years old, Female, located in the Bible Belt of the USA...West TN area to be more precise. Life is interesting for sure. I came out of the Religious Closet just over a year ago and was quickly removed from 40 facebook locals. I went to church and drew pictures while the nutter up front gave his weekly rants. I was always told to accept Jesus in my heart as a back up plan...lol

I was raised in the southern religious faiths...saved(whatever the hell that means) 4 times and baptized 3 times..Always aware that the teaching was seriously flawed. I was always afraid of being outcast by the local country club (church). Well I am a big girl now and just had to do it. Was let go at a job because of it and had a diff time finding a new one. Damn locals.

Anyways, after its all said and over and I look at my life and my habits. I really see just how nice, kind and free I am finally...I also see just how awful those devote church going crazys really are. The trash talking, drinking, etc...I am an official Heathen and the only thing I do diff then many of the good folks is....refusal to get up on sunday mornings, drive 1mile and listen to crappy songs and the nutter....Thanks for the rant.
26-02-2011, 05:31 PM

33 y/o

PA / USA

Former military

Favor realism & empirical data
26-02-2011, 05:45 PM

:heart:One thing that I will miss, however, is the comfort of knowing that I'll see a loved one again after they die. Even my cherished pets, when one died I was heartbroken but I was comforted by the thought that, perhaps, they too would be in the afterlife and I would see them again. Of course, I would rather live in reality and know the truth no matter how painful it may be at times.

I felt the same way and also tried to hold on to it "just in case"...High 5[/size]
28-02-2011, 04:48 PM

23 yrs old, stuck in the bible belt. Marrying into a catholic family...all helpful arguments would be appreciated.
28-02-2011, 10:05 PM
Hello. I'm a computer programmer living in Texas with my wife and 2 year-old son. We moved to Texas last year, from Salt Lake City, Utah, where I lived almost all my life.

I was raised Mormon, and I was extremely devout, until I was 18 and realized that my prayers were simply not getting answered. All I wanted was some kind of unmistakable assurance that God was there, and I wanted confirmation that the Mormon church was true. These types of prayers are encouraged in Mormonism, but I wasn't getting anything. It was just me praying but nothing answering back.

One evening, I had the sudden realization that during all those years of church, no one else got any answered prayers either, and everyone was just trying to convince themselves and each other that it was all true.

Once I realized that, I immediately lost all my beliefs in my religion. It also undermined my trust in my own thoughts and in other people. Since I knew we were all unknowingly deceiving each other about things like God, I had no way to trust anything that anyone ever told me.

This was extremely disturbing, and it took me years to sort through things, reading all kinds of books in a desperate attempt to understand how things really were, behind all the layers of social deception. This naturally and eventually led me to science books, where I finally started finding real answers that made sense and were based on evidence and actually testing things out.

My own experience of being profoundly disillusioned and feeling like I couldn't trust anyone for years is one of the major reasons I am strongly against the religious indoctrination of children. Even the most devout children, like I was, can end up suddenly realizing that all the people they deeply trust have told them falsehoods their whole lives, and then they can't trust anyone. This is extremely isolating and traumatic. It ends up being a real nightmare of psychological abuse, even though the parents and the community may be extremely well intentioned and kind.

I don't generally attack religion head-on or say anything too controversial, but I am open about my atheism, and I will honestly answer people's questions and ask them thought provoking questions if they initiate a discussion about religion.

I work hard to dispel common myths about atheists by being a good person and letting my example show what atheism is really about - valuing this life and all the people that share it with me because this life and each other is all we have.

I also work to help people understand the long epic journey of Humanity that we are all on - where we started as animals living in the wild, but over the millennia, we consciously chose to rise above that and improve the way we lived, thousands of generations of humans struggling together to make small improvements for the next generation, all building up to where we are now, challenging us to carry that ambition forward to make the world better for ourselves and those who come after us.
Thread Closed