Introduce Yourself HERE!
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 5 Average
06-12-2012, 08:08 PM
RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
Hi guys, I'm Thomas. I am an engineering student at Colorado School of Mines.

I grew up with an extremely Catholic mother who punished me for not going to church and sent me to Catholic school where I spent the most unhappy years of my life where, by at least 4th grade, I realized what I was learning was wrong and made no logical sense...I cannot explain the harm I have felt from it. She would not stop punishing me until I was 18 and had the constitutional right to finally be atheist. I still abuse myself because of her punishment, but at least I know why now and have almost stopped.

Now I am learning so much of about the universe works, and I am at a school that teaches me more than I could ever imagine. I am a happy atheist, I am good for the sake of it, and have never felt more secure with myself now to finally talk about this. 

I'm slightly nervous about it, but I plan on being much more open about my atheism this holiday season. It will be a bittersweet moment when one of my 20+ extended (Italian and VERY roman catholic) extended family members approaches me about why I am atheist and I can explain how I don't believe any of the lies I have learned from my catholic schooling and upbringing from the beginning of the universe, down to the quantum level. I also can't wait until they quote how the bible is absolute truth because it is written...that will be great to reply that, due to my mother's and aunt's divorce, and one of my other aunts being a lesbian, they should have to stone 3 of their sisters to death if they truly believe their book is absolute. I am so tired of being suppressed and being fed lies by hypocrites, it is time I stand up for myself and stop with turning the other cheek. The abuse is over.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes conkles's post
07-12-2012, 01:57 AM
My name is Mike. I came out of the "atheist closet" just yesterday. I did this on facebook. The few responses that I did receive were encouraging. I'm looking forward to seeing the reaction from my coworkers, which are mostly Christian.
[+] 2 users Like Mevitts's post
07-12-2012, 05:49 AM
(30-08-2010 09:46 PM)Soldieringon Wrote:  Hey

I was looking for a place to introduce myself, and realized that there was no "one thread" for members to do so. I thought I would start one.

I'm Paul. I am a 31 y/o male stationed with the Army in South Korea. I have been an Atheist all my life, I was raised as one. I run a small blog and I am getting ready to leave the Army.

I am an open atheist, there's no hiding for me, I tell other people about Atheism and why I choose to be one. But I try very hard not to be pushy about it.

Anyone else?

Hello Paul I am a fellow service member stationed in South Korea. Nice to know I am not the only one. I feel like there are a lot of religious people in the military as a whole. Man it feels really good to know there are other people in uniform know how I feel. Good luck with your ETS.
07-12-2012, 06:00 AM
Hello every one I am a 24 year old Atheist currently serving in the U.S. Army in South Korea. From 2 to about 8 I grew up Jehovah Witness with my dads mom and then My moms mom found out about that so it turned into Roman Catholic Saturday classes well into my teens. It never made any sense, the only reason I wanted to go to Kingdom hall as a kid was because I was obsessed with Dick Tracey. So I got a trench coat just like my childhood hero but I could only wear to kingdom hall. Of course I wanted to go all the TIME!

I began to really question god around 10 years old. It was my 1st confession and I did not understand why The "Virgin Mary" had her own prayer or why we had so many statues of saints. God says do not worship false idols and the church to me seemed littered with them. My 1st confession was more like me grilling the poor priest with questions for about an hour and half. He was doing his best to answer but the damage was done. I already had it in my head that there is no way this could be right.

From then on I have gone to multiple places of worship in search of something. Some sort of feeling and I just do not or can not? Any way I have loads of questions so if anyone would be willing to talk to me sometime I would gladly appreciate it. Feel free to PM me thank you.

P.S. My user name is not a drug reference its short for my first name. Thank you
[+] 1 user Likes Dro250's post
07-12-2012, 06:29 AM
(05-12-2012 12:01 PM)STEFAN V8 Wrote:  I'm looking for a ROMANIAN ATHEIST
seems to be very few.

If a believer of some kind yet, just imagine how colossal the universe is...
Hi there. I am a ROMANIAN ATHEIST. Feel free to PM me if you wish to talk in private or see you around here. I am now going to welcome you to the forum: welcome!

Oh, no Hallucinations 4:11 says the 'gilded sheep should be stewed in rat blood' but Morons 5:16 contradicts it. (Chas)

I would never shake a baby unless the recipe requires it.
[+] 1 user Likes Malleus's post
07-12-2012, 06:32 AM
(05-12-2012 12:01 PM)STEFAN V8 Wrote:  I'm looking for a ROMANIAN ATHEIST
seems to be very few.

If a believer of some kind yet, just imagine how colossal the universe is...
Buna ziua STEFAN,
I am not a ROMANIAN ATHEIST but I live in Romania. With the great Malleus.
Feel free to talk Romanian to him or English to me. I also have a ROMANIAN ATHEIST friend in Brasov and I know about one in Bucharest.
That's already four in this country; and you hopefully on your way.
cheers
Leela

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
[+] 1 user Likes Leerob's post
07-12-2012, 11:39 PM
Hi, I'm a 26 year old, stay-at-home mom. I have a wonderful 13 month old son. My husband and I both grew up in Christian households and we were both homeschooled. Over the last several months we have started questioning the things we were brought up to believe. It's now been about a month since I would call myself an atheist. My husband is now also an atheist and he is the only one I know who understands me. I feel so free now. I finally am happy with myself. But, I also feel very alone. It has been very difficult for me since my family now knows. Everyone I know is a believer. I am so happy to have found TheThinkingAtheist and like minded free thinkers out there. It's a breath of fresh air.
[+] 6 users Like FreeTurtle's post
08-12-2012, 07:09 AM
Retired elementary school teacher here. Tried to be christian for 50+ years. Raised as christian scientist, tried Methodist, Anglican, Missionary & Alliance, United Church of Canada. Still connected to United Church - wife is very active, I go to keep the peace. And, there are several other atheists there, along with a lot of progressive / liberal thinkers. Keep my head down.
08-12-2012, 07:49 AM
(08-12-2012 07:09 AM)fuzzybrains Wrote:  Retired elementary school teacher here. Tried to be christian for 50+ years. Raised as christian scientist, tried Methodist, Anglican, Missionary & Alliance, United Church of Canada. Still connected to United Church - wife is very active, I go to keep the peace. And, there are several other atheists there, along with a lot of progressive / liberal thinkers. Keep my head down.
Welcome Smile

I love Christian scientists. They just strike me as pretty whacky. There's a church down the road from me "Church of Jesus Christ, scientist". I think it's brilliant Smile Good ol' JC. Probably forgot to turn on the extractor fan over the fume cabinet one day and here we all are 2000 years later Tongue
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
08-12-2012, 05:48 PM
Re: Introduce Yourself HERE!
Sup folks, my name is Gary and I am an atheist. Went public with it a few months back. I've had to "unfriend" a few family members, but in general most of my family have decided to "ignore the problem" and hope it goes away. I do have one person though that I think tried to take it upon herself to try and either guilt or shame me back into the fold. Like that would work. Anyway I'm looking for some like minded people to talk to an learn from.

~G~
Thread Closed