Introduce Yourself HERE!
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 5 Average
08-12-2012, 05:53 PM
RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
(08-12-2012 05:48 PM)groo79 Wrote:  Sup folks, my name is Gary and I am an atheist. Went public with it a few months back. I've had to "unfriend" a few family members, but in general most of my family have decided to "ignore the problem" and hope it goes away. I do have one person though that I think tried to take it upon herself to try and either guilt or shame me back into the fold. Like that would work. Anyway I'm looking for some like minded people to talk to an learn from.

~G~
Welcome aboard. Enjoy your stay. Smile

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
Find all posts by this user
09-12-2012, 10:15 PM
Howdy, everyone.! I'm Britt, I'm 24 and I've been an atheist for about four years now. I was raised in a Southern Baptist family with degrees varying from the timid to the extremely blatant (you name the foaming aisle theatrics and scripture-quoting prejudice, I've probably seen it). For a long time, I harbored a very pronounced wrath against organized religion, and although I still do to some degree, what I feel now is more of a sense of nauseous, wary exasperation. I like to think being an atheist is about tolerance, wisdom, observation and application of sensible practice, not being the same sort of self-righteous asshole that numbers the groups who oppose us.

My deepest passion and fascination lies in physics, science, evolution, biology and natural fundamentals, especially the microcosm and macrocosm; in their similarities, stars to ribosomes and galaxies to amoebas, forces affecting them, time and space, I see the true nature and the true religion of existence... Completely faceless, godless, perfect and inexorable and quite lovely.

The infamous herd of cats unites under one http:/... I'm glad to find it. Wink

That is not dead which can eternal lie,
Yet with stranger aeons, even death may die.
09-12-2012, 10:43 PM
I am a senior in high school who used to believe.
10-12-2012, 12:31 PM
Hey there folks!

After seeing so many folks speak so positively about this forum over the last few weeks, I figured I'd poke my head in and see if y'all mind having someone as mildly insane as I am in the mix. With WWGHA's constant issues as of late and with my own push to be more of a part of the atheist community... well. I have high hopes this'll be a great sort of online 'home.'

I'm a thirty-seven year old deconverted, formerly-episcopalian athiest living in Tennessee and working for a Catholic charity - which results in some interesting conversations no matter how you shake it. Formerly 'Grimm' over at WWGHA - I'm now taking a step forward with my real name, as terrifying a prospect as that can be. Smile

Good to meet the lot of you.

"Since God created man, and man created the Transformers, the Transformers are like a gift from God, Randal!" - Elias, from Clerks 2.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-12-2012, 03:22 PM
I'm going on 30 years old female living in France. I was raised Catholic but my family is agnostic/Christian in culture. Then at some point in my teenage years I realized I could no longer accept religion in my life.

Only a few years ago did I completely turned away from religion, going from agnostic to anti-theist. I'm a linguistics graduate currently working for a private airport security company. Also a huge geek, cosplayer, gamer, sci-fi writer...
10-12-2012, 06:45 PM
Welcome to all you newcomers. Thumbsup

Jump in, start posting, get yourselves involved and known. That's where the fun is. Yes

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-12-2012, 06:57 PM
Hello, my name is Pham! I'm an adolescent human that's an agnostic. I live on a blue marble called Earth in a galaxy called the Milky Way! My passion is science and I want to become a physicist and study quantum mechanics and astrophysics! Big Grin

A humanist is a person who believes that it is possible to lead a good life without either the promise of a reward or the threat of punishment after you are dead. -Kurt Vonnegut
[+] 2 users Like Pham Nguyen's post
11-12-2012, 11:25 PM
Hello everyone! My name is Renny and I am a 24 year old student. I was born into a Buddhist family, raised within the Mormon church (and Baptized) with a Catholic step father and my brother in law is Muslim. I personally can't place myself in any of these but also can't claim to be an atheist. I've dedicated some time to study different Religions to try and understand them better and I would love to get some insight on non-believers and gain some knowledge along the way.

I remember the dinner conversation I had with my family when I told them I was beginning to question "God" and their religion(s). My dad nodded and said that's okay as long as I don't turn into a Lesbian and we continued to share a drink together. <3 my parents and glad I didn't get any evil looks. They aren't completely open minded but I'll take what I can get. Smile
12-12-2012, 07:53 AM
(09-12-2012 10:43 PM)Farlian Wrote:  I am a senior in high school who used to believe.
csbnmd
12-12-2012, 03:18 PM
Hello all, my name's Kayla. I'm 18, a high school senior, home schooled, and like many I'm a former Christian. I honestly can't remember when or why I stopped believing, but I never regretted the decision. My mother is a pagan-turned-christian, but she supports me in my beliefs (or lack there of), and everyone else in the family's pretty relaxed when it comes to religion.

So, that was a little about me! I'm looking forward to discussing with everyone in the near future.

[Image: tumblr_ma6twef4jZ1rrlhpco1_500.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Caveat Lector 52's post
Thread Closed