Introduce Yourself HERE!
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 5 Average
20-12-2012, 02:07 PM
RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
(20-12-2012 06:59 AM)farriskc Wrote:  Hello,
My name is Dave, I think I was always an agnostic. My mothers father was an atheist. My fathers father was a pastor. I was in between. Being indoctrinated by my fathers side, and told to think for myself from my mothers side. They divorced when I was 2.
I think I wanted to believe when I was young. But as I grew older religion just seemed too far fetched. I thought there was something wrong with me. When I went to church and people spoke in tongues it scared the hell out of me. Why didn't god speak to me? It took al very long time for me to openly admit I was an atheist. And I feel much better having that guilt trip burden out of my life. If it weren't for Seth, Thunderf00t, and last but not least HITCH. I don't know if I would have ever made the jump from agnostic to atheist.

Thanks for allowing to spill my guts. Hope I didn't bore you to death.
DAVE FARRIS
If you had, I wouldn't be replying would I ? Big Grin I'll keep an eye out and hope that none of our regulars got nailed. If you accidentally gave one of the randoms the coup de grace I'm not so bothered. Welcome to TTA Smile You weren't really boring Wink
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
20-12-2012, 03:45 PM
Greetings, fellow infidels! ;-)

I came to this site after reading "Deconverted." I took a look at the forum to get an overview of the political views represented by the membership (I tend to be Libertarian generally, and also pro-2nd Amendment). If the membership was heavily at any one extreme, and if language was consistently used that demonized people not of the same view, then I would not have joined. I was very pleased to see to see that overall, you folks are courteous and use reasonable language to support your opinions.

I was reared as a Missouri Synod Lutheran, but always had a questioning mind, for as long as I can remember. I recall asking, when I was little, why we still have floods even though the bible says that rainbows represent god's promise not to send another flood.

When I was a teenager, I finally faced the fact that I did not believe the bible. When I was a young adult, I formally requested to be released from membership in the church.

While I was still little though, I was devoutly xtian. I used to fall asleep repeating over and over, a prayer for forgiveness for my sins. I was 5 years old! When I was 6 and in first grade, I had a "religious" experience where I heard the holy spirit tell me to go pick up a handicapped child I saw fall on the playground. That was very interesting. Of course, I do understand that it was an aural hallucination. LOL--when "god" tells you to do something, you must obey. ;-) I assure you, I never had that experience again, and I am now a senior citizen. The experience did for me, give some credence to the Julian Jaynes theory.

When I started school in the early 60s, there was still school led prayer. The evil lunchroom supervisor would conduct grace for our meal, then shriek at us to be quiet as the noise picked up. I was the kid at the bottom of the pecking order, and received bullying on the playground. Because I was religious, I thought that the ineffectual school prayers made a mockery of my faith, and so I was very relieved when the Court declared that school led prayer had to stop.

I want to say also:

Sunday School gave Absalom a bad rap! Big Grin
We were taught that Absolom was just a real bad dude, blah blah blah, and that he got what he deserved when he got hung up in the tree by his hair and then was killed.

As an adult, I read the story again and what I saw was a young man who was desperate for attention from his narcissistic father. I saw that he had been used by people who had agendas of their own. I saw that he avenged the rape of his sister Tamar -- who had been raped by their own half brother, and that their father's directive had put her into harm's way.

I have no idea whether the story of Absalom has any basis in fact, or if it is merely borrowed legend, like so many parts of the bible. But there is so much more depth and shading to the story of Absalom than we were taught in Sunday school, that it has become kind of a symbol for me of xtianity's failings.

Books I have found interesting and helpful are Asimov's Guide to the Bible, The Bible, The Unauthorized Version by Robin Lane Fox, and Carl Sagan's This Demon Haunted World.
[+] 2 users Like ImproperUsername's post
20-12-2012, 05:08 PM
(20-12-2012 03:45 PM)ImproperUsername Wrote:  I was very pleased to see to see that overall, you folks are courteous and use reasonable language to support your opinions.
You sure you have been browsing this forum? Consider

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
[+] 4 users Like Vera's post
21-12-2012, 06:14 PM
I am a veterinarian in the Pacific Northwest. I don't believe in anything much anymore, but I never did believe in any God. I find most religions irritating, many religions dangerous, and all religions pathetically ignorant.
[+] 3 users Like Bryce Fleming's post
21-12-2012, 10:21 PM
(21-12-2012 06:14 PM)Bryce Fleming Wrote:  I am a veterinarian in the Pacific Northwest. I don't believe in anything much anymore, but I never did believe in any God. I find most religions irritating, many religions dangerous, and all religions pathetically ignorant.

Welcome, dude.

(Please forgive me but I will be stuck for a while with a mental image of you as a Connery-like Bond... something about your name, I guess)

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
22-12-2012, 07:43 AM (This post was last modified: 22-12-2012 09:22 AM by kingschosen.)
Hello I am Aiur from thinking Universe!
23-12-2012, 05:32 PM
im christian,but im about to change my mind and follow atheism. I hope this forum works on me.
23-12-2012, 07:52 PM
I'm 46. As a child I was raised as a Christian, but I've been a skeptic/agnostic/atheist most of my adult life. I was raised in a religion that teaches that the punishment for not being perfect is being brought back from the dead and tortured forever. God in that religion makes an exception for those who are lucky enough to choose the right religion out of the 1000s that exist, and gullible enough to believe its claims with no way of knowing that they are true. And that is supposed to be an all-good, loving just God?

That itself is not an argument against the existence of A God, only that particular one. I have not seen any evidence that any other religion is any less absurd. I am not a gnostic atheist, however. I am still open to the possibility of the Deist concept of a god, but I am not convinced that that is the case.
23-12-2012, 07:53 PM (This post was last modified: 23-12-2012 09:08 PM by GirlyMan.)
(23-12-2012 05:32 PM)rinda Wrote:  im christian,but im about to change my mind and follow atheism. I hope this forum works on me.

My hope is this forum helps you realize to never follow and never lead. Realize your responsibility to make yourself. Invent yourself. Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead!

EDIT: Goddam, what sorta brain fart was that?

#sigh
23-12-2012, 10:39 PM
I am a 27 year-old atheist woman and if I have to tell you my first name then you are not a particularly sharp thinking atheist. Anyway, I was just in an online chat in another forum with someone about the chances of an afterlife. The person doubted there was an afterlife and consequently was afraid of death. I stated that I too am more afraid of death, more afraid of death than I am afraid of either rodents or spiders. I then stated that 10 years ago my own critical thinking worked to kind of de-indocturnate me out of my religious beliefs, but I still hold out some hope that there is an afterlife, just not one constructed by god. I can sort of see an afterlife resembling a never-ending Simpsons episode; not heaven, not hell, but generally amusing.

So following that brief atheist discussion, I decided to try to find a website for thinking atheists. I'm hoping some of the thought will rub off on me.
Thread Closed