Introduce Yourself HERE!
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 5 Average
24-12-2012, 08:20 AM
RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
(23-12-2012 10:39 PM)Katiegal Wrote:  So following that brief atheist discussion, I decided to try to find a website for thinking atheists. I'm hoping some of the thought will rub off on me.
Be careful what you wish for... Some of the thoughts here can give you a mighty nasty rash Drinking Beverage

So stock up on Claritin and welcome!

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
24-12-2012, 08:22 AM
Introduce Yourself HERE!
(23-12-2012 10:39 PM)Katiegal Wrote:  I am a 27 year-old atheist woman and if I have to tell you my first name then you are not a particularly sharp thinking atheist. Anyway, I was just in an online chat in another forum with someone about the chances of an afterlife. The person doubted there was an afterlife and consequently was afraid of death. I stated that I too am more afraid of death, more afraid of death than I am afraid of either rodents or spiders. I then stated that 10 years ago my own critical thinking worked to kind of de-indocturnate me out of my religious beliefs, but I still hold out some hope that there is an afterlife, just not one constructed by god. I can sort of see an afterlife resembling a never-ending Simpsons episode; not heaven, not hell, but generally amusing.

So following that brief atheist discussion, I decided to try to find a website for thinking atheists. I'm hoping some of the thought will rub off on me.

Good luck with that last part, whatever your name is. Tongue

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
Find all posts by this user
24-12-2012, 12:25 PM
Hi everyone!
I'm new here. Although brought up as a Christian, I've never really believed. I'm not looking to bash religion, but it won't work for me. The whole organised religion thing makes me uncomfortable.
I've seen a few of Richard Dawkins documentaries, and they make more sense to me than stuff I've read in the Bible.
Not really a fan of labels, but I guess I'd have to call myself an atheist. If God exists, I'll find my own way to Him, but I'm not going to spend my whole life trying to earn brownie points so I can get to Heaven.
Funny, when we 'talk' to God, it's called 'prayer' and is socially acceptable. Yet when He talks back to us, we're delusional or schizophrenic! Makes me wonder about all those Biblical prophets - were they all delusional or mentally ill? If so, then organized religion is based on the ideas of psychologically sick people (before mental illnesses like schizophrenia were discovered).
I won't dis-respect anyones right to have a religion, but I don't believe in it myself. I don't feel comfortable with religious people either. Hoping to find some like-minded people here, for sensible discussion without religious dogma! Thanks!

EmJay x
[+] 1 user Likes EmJay's post
24-12-2012, 12:50 PM
(24-12-2012 12:25 PM)EmJay Wrote:  Hi everyone!
I'm new here. Although brought up as a Christian, I've never really believed. I'm not looking to bash religion, but it won't work for me. The whole organised religion thing makes me uncomfortable.
I've seen a few of Richard Dawkins documentaries, and they make more sense to me than stuff I've read in the Bible.
Not really a fan of labels, but I guess I'd have to call myself an atheist. If God exists, I'll find my own way to Him, but I'm not going to spend my whole life trying to earn brownie points so I can get to Heaven.
Funny, when we 'talk' to God, it's called 'prayer' and is socially acceptable. Yet when He talks back to us, we're delusional or schizophrenic! Makes me wonder about all those Biblical prophets - were they all delusional or mentally ill? If so, then organized religion is based on the ideas of psychologically sick people (before mental illnesses like schizophrenia were discovered).
I won't dis-respect anyones right to have a religion, but I don't believe in it myself. I don't feel comfortable with religious people either. Hoping to find some like-minded people here, for sensible discussion without religious dogma! Thanks!

EmJay x

Good name.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 1 user Likes Stark Raving's post
24-12-2012, 01:32 PM
Thanks! I'll try not to be a dick. But if I am, it's not intentional!
24-12-2012, 02:15 PM
(24-12-2012 01:32 PM)EmJay Wrote:  Thanks! I'll try not to be a dick. But if I am, it's not intentional!

Then it don't count, pussy. ... (Nah, I'm just dicking with you. Tongue )

#sigh
25-12-2012, 09:17 PM
I'm new here. I'm 58 years old. I stopped believing at age 14. What did it was learning about Noah's Ark in Sunday School and coming home and watching Neil Armstrong walk on the moon on TV. That turned me on to science and the whole Bible fell apart. From age 14 to 55 I just considered myself non-religious and was actually jealous of people who were religious. Then it hit me ... I was the lucky one, not them because I made my own decisions and did things because I wanted to do them. It was at that moment I started to consider myself an Atheist.
[+] 1 user Likes ScubaCPA's post
25-12-2012, 11:22 PM
Hi everyone,
I'm Hannah and I'm a 16-year-old Texan. Smile So about a week ago, I started to scrutinize my Christian faith (surprise, surprise in the Bible belt) and and navigate the Web, and I'm coming to accept, and am still confirming, my new realization as an Agnostic Atheist. It's so
crazy, because my entire world and family have always been Christan and if this is what I really believe, my road ahead will be a tough one. It just sucks, because I'm having a fear of being wrong and going to Hell Sad But I know it's brainwashing.
So I have 2 questions:
(a) To Ex-Christians, what affirmed your conclusion that the Bible is untrue?
(b) What was everyone's experiance as a (shall I say, "born-again") atheist?
26-12-2012, 01:44 AM
(25-12-2012 11:22 PM)TheToughTruth Wrote:  Hi everyone,
I'm Hannah and I'm a 16-year-old Texan. Smile So about a week ago, I started to scrutinize my Christian faith (surprise, surprise in the Bible belt) and and navigate the Web, and I'm coming to accept, and am still confirming, my new realization as an Agnostic Atheist. It's so
crazy, because my entire world and family have always been Christan and if this is what I really believe, my road ahead will be a tough one. It just sucks, because I'm having a fear of being wrong and going to Hell Sad But I know it's brainwashing.
So I have 2 questions:

Yikes, it only took a week ? Wow... Welcome to forums...
26-12-2012, 08:14 AM
(25-12-2012 11:22 PM)TheToughTruth Wrote:  Hi everyone,
So I have 2 questions:

Welcome to the forum!

One week since you started to add up the equation, eh? No offence, but I don't buy it. I am willing to guess that you have been adding things up for quite some time before this stated week, but perhaps you were not aware of it. Most probably aren't. the mind works in funny ways, all my reflection has shown. Thumbsup
That fear you mention, I've heard of it before. It'll pass in time, as you gain more knowledge and evidence to sure up your position. It's simply a learned behaviour, a subconscious reaction likely instilled during indoctrination, it fights the change.

As to your two questions:

A) sorry, can't say. Though, as a never-was christian I will say: I saw through it way before I had any good reason to and leave the rest to your imagination.
B) Experience of what? I dare say everybody would still be working on an answer to the question.
Though "born-again" is quite an apt way of putting things; Everybody is born an atheist, breaking out of delusion or indoctrination could be seen as rebirth...

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
Thread Closed