Introduce Yourself HERE!
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Votes - 5 Average
29-12-2012, 01:40 PM
RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
Well, this is certainly the first forum I've been on that does introductions like this. Anyway, though, I'm Jack Daniel and I'm new.

Hi.
Find all posts by this user
29-12-2012, 06:56 PM
How do? Middle aged blue collar otaku here, having had the good fortune of not having my immediate relations be hardcore theists, willing to live and let (me) live. Had a barely religious upbringing, and a brief flirtation with paganism (due to, as is common, a romantic interest being such) before realizing how spirituality isn't any more connected to reality than theism.
29-12-2012, 11:13 PM
Hi,
My name's Michael and I'm 19 years old. I've been an agnostic atheist for about two years and I've followed Seth's videos for about the same amount of time. I finally decided to join these forums after a heated religious debate with my Catholic grandmother. Long story short she asked if I wanted to go to church tomorrow, I said no, my brother blurted out that I was an atheist, and it pretty much snowballed from there. She brought out the usual theist 'arguments' and it ended with her stating that she was going to pray for me. So original I know.

Anyway, I thought this was the perfect time to join this community and discuss these sorts of issues with people who actually understand my perspective. It's reaffirming after essentially banging my head against a wall for thirty minutes. Thanks for reading and I look forward to some great discussion.
[+] 1 user Likes MMCC0203's post
29-12-2012, 11:39 PM
Hey welcome to the forum.

Behold the power of the force!
[Image: fgYtjtY.gif]
30-12-2012, 09:33 AM
I have never always been good at introducing myself. I see that everyone is keeping it short with his or her introductions, so that's good enough for me!

It took me a while to fully deconvert: I was born and raised a JW until the age of 18, when I was DF'd for "fornication" (I refused to repent since I had grown very fond of it). I still believed in "God" and gods after that.

When I married a bible-believing Baptist at 27, and he encouraged me to read the whole thing and all the concordances and whatnot, I had a small crisis in my mind. "God" just seemed so...you know...HUMAN. I would just dismiss it immediately, telling myself that he does that to relate to us cockroaches here on earth.

Fast forward to Winter 2011. I was derping around on YouTube when I was reading all the crazy comments; and someone said that I should really see some videos from a fellow named "camara714" or do a search on "slave sermons". I watched every one of those videos, too.

I never really thought about some of the things that he discussed in the vidoes. Not to get racial, but if my ancestors weren't brought over by slave masters, would I really have been a Christian? Probably not. I looked back into the bible and slavery was indeed condoned, and was used as an excuse to own slaves in early America (and elsewhere). Christians are still using that excuse today! "Oh it was just a different time" my a$$. Dodgy Slavery, and everything else horrid that the Bible condones is wrong in ANY time.

Anyway...that, folks, was the beginning of my path to atheism.

(But, uh, please don't tell my husband. Not like you know who he is anyway. I'm just sayin', that's why I only access this site at work. It's just about the only place where he's not up my a$$ all the time. Oh, and he uses quotes from the Bible for that, too.)

Okay, okay, so I didn't make my intro short. Hi there!

Jesus loves you, but the Devil gives you cool shit.
[+] 3 users Like thewellkeptwoman's post
30-12-2012, 10:11 AM
I'm a 48-year-old woman in the Deep South, so being an atheist is really fun where I live! I am slowly finding others who share my nonbelief, but otherwise have to keep mum about it. The few religious people I have told of my views are probably praying to god/Santa for my wretched soul since I'm apparently going to be consigned with no parole to burn for eternity for having a reasoning, analytical brain and not enough gullibility, I mean faith. Glad to be on this forum and have been really enjoying the atheist's critique of the bible.
[+] 2 users Like cjs's post
30-12-2012, 02:32 PM
Hello, I'm 50+, semi-retired and happily-married. My interests are many and varied including underwater photography, human psychology, golf, construction, travel and the scientific method. I rebel against holier than thou attitudes and unexamined thought.

"Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's."- Mark Twain in Eruption
30-12-2012, 02:34 PM
(30-12-2012 02:32 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  Hello, I'm 50+, semi-retired and happily-married. My interests are many and varied including underwater photography, human psychology, golf, construction, travel and the scientific method. I rebel against holier than thou attitudes and unexamined thought.
Welcome. Thumbsup

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
30-12-2012, 03:59 PM
(30-12-2012 09:33 AM)thewellkeptwoman Wrote:  I have never always been good at introducing myself. I see that everyone is keeping it short with his or her introductions, so that's good enough for me!

It took me a while to fully deconvert: I was born and raised a JW until the age of 18, when I was DF'd for "fornication" (I refused to repent since I had grown very fond of it). I still believed in "God" and gods after that.

When I married a bible-believing Baptist at 27, and he encouraged me to read the whole thing and all the concordances and whatnot, I had a small crisis in my mind. "God" just seemed so...you know...HUMAN. I would just dismiss it immediately, telling myself that he does that to relate to us cockroaches here on earth.

Fast forward to Winter 2011. I was derping around on YouTube when I was reading all the crazy comments; and someone said that I should really see some videos from a fellow named "camara714" or do a search on "slave sermons". I watched every one of those videos, too.

I never really thought about some of the things that he discussed in the vidoes. Not to get racial, but if my ancestors weren't brought over by slave masters, would I really have been a Christian? Probably not. I looked back into the bible and slavery was indeed condoned, and was used as an excuse to own slaves in early America (and elsewhere). Christians are still using that excuse today! "Oh it was just a different time" my a$$. Dodgy Slavery, and everything else horrid that the Bible condones is wrong in ANY time.

Anyway...that, folks, was the beginning of my path to atheism.

(But, uh, please don't tell my husband. Not like you know who he is anyway. I'm just sayin', that's why I only access this site at work. It's just about the only place where he's not up my a$$ all the time. Oh, and he uses quotes from the Bible for that, too.)

Okay, okay, so I didn't make my intro short. Hi there!

Hi there yourself! And welcome to the Forum. Hope you find it a place of insight, fellowship (to appropriate a bit of "God talk"), refuge, and fun.

You're right about the Bible and God. The Bible is the work of ancient human authors, some of whom rose above the limited understanding of their time and some of whom didn't. So alongside admirable things like "What does the Lord require of you but to do justice, love mercy, and walk humbly with your God?" and "Learn to do right; seek justice. Defend the oppressed. Take up the cause of the fatherless; plead the case of the widow" you have things like the acceptance of slavery, the condemnation of non-standard sexuality, the concept of "eternal damnation," and instructions for how to commit genocide. With the Bible, take the best and leave the rest.

And yes, God is very human. Genesis gets it precisely backwards: God didn't create humans in his image--humans created God in their image. So God is sometimes merciful, sometimes tyrannical, sometimes indifferent, sometimes loving, sometimes monstrous. Just like his creators.

If I could offer an unsolicited comment about your personal situation: I obviously don't know you or your husband, but it seems to me you can't remain in a permanent state of hiding with respect to your new-found atheism. Keeping this from the one who's supposed to be your soulmate and the most important person in your life can't be a healthy situation. You'll wind up living a dishonest life, and it'll wear you down. Eventually it's going to have to come out, and the two of you will have to deal with your differences. Just my two cents.

Religious disputes are like arguments in a madhouse over which inmate really is Napoleon.
30-12-2012, 06:05 PM
Hi! I'm a science teacher from Pennsylvania and found this forum through TTA videos on Youtube! Nice to find a community of rational thinkers.
Thread Closed