Introduce Yourself HERE!
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 5 Average
13-03-2011, 01:31 AM
RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
(12-03-2011 03:23 PM)JesusTheHumanist Wrote:  Everyone would succumb to their human nature once in a while, hurting others. But only the church goers repented, and continuously tried to be better people.

Actually, in my experience, atheists are the ones who continuously try to improve themselves. Church-goers seem to think that they can make everything all better if they repent. Atheists realise that apologies and repenting do not make things better, they need to behave better in the first place.

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
Find all posts by this user
13-03-2011, 08:18 PM

Hello all from some where in Texas. I'm 34, a mom of five, and work full time in the accounting department of our local newspaper.
Still debating on whether or not I am an atheist. But I do know that I am no longer a Christian. A big turning point for me was trying to wrap my brain around my grandparents (no longer alive) being in the fiery pits of hell because the didn't live a Christian life. How can anyone want to believe a loved one is in hell? And with the life they led, I was pretty sure St. Peter wasn't standing at the pearlie gates waiting to let them in. And then I realized had absurd it all sounded any way.
14-03-2011, 12:44 AM
(13-03-2011 08:18 PM)SusanM Wrote:  And then I realized had absurd it all sounded any way.

The more you question religion the more absurd it gets.

Welcome to sanity, or at least a reasonable attempt at it. Big Grin

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
14-03-2011, 09:55 AM (This post was last modified: 14-03-2011 10:07 AM by hotrodmike.)
Hello everyone, I am a Canadian fan of the Thinking Atheist who has finally decided to join the forum after months of watching the videos and listening to the podcasts. Sort of raised a Catholic, I stopped believing in religion when I was in my mid-teens. Now in my 40's, I have been spending more and more time debating theists on-line because I am sick of this mass delusion retarding our social and scientific progress.

The way to see by Faith, is to shut the eye of Reason. - Ben Franklin
14-03-2011, 10:13 AM
I hope the debating is going well, I'm here mainly because this is a sanctuary after so much discussing with theists. Before I found TTAF I just stopped really worrying about logically defining things, because I knew what they were and there was no point to discussing things. When you spend 40 hours doing research to make sure that your claim is validated and backed and then the response to it is "gay" and then people laugh and discuss how absurd you are generally you stop caring.

Before I found this place I only had a select few who I could discuss things with intellectually. I congratulate these forums for giving us the ability to improve and change our own views by getting serious endorsement and counters rather than incessant flames and character accusations.

So yes, welcome to TTAF

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
14-03-2011, 11:00 AM

Howdy y'all! (despite that intro, I'm not actually from the south)

I just discovered this site through various link jumping among youtube videos (which probably started with AranRa's videos) which led me to the old PODcasts, and eventually here. I've been an Atheist since roughly the second grade. I'm currently in my mid 30's and I've been giving some serious thought about returning to school to pursue a degree in either Paleontology or Evolutionary Biology.

Looking forward to becoming part of this community.
14-03-2011, 12:51 PM

I'm a 70 year old retired professor of science, an atheist most of my life, and still a practicing Unitarian/Universalist of the naturalist persuasion. My current belief is that gods really do exist, but "only" in human imagination, like other characters from fiction. Nevertheless, human imagination is part of the natural world and should not be dismissed lightly, which is why I have put "only" in quotes. Our imagination is a powerful source of motivation and creativity for us; so the kinds of gods that we imagine can have profound consequences in our actions. We must try to understand the god or gods that various people believe in, so we can understand their motivations and possibly influence their actions to be less harmful to others and to the natural environment.
14-03-2011, 07:37 PM
(14-03-2011 12:51 PM)jmason37 Wrote:  We must try to understand the god or gods that various people believe in, so we can understand their motivations and possibly influence their actions to be less harmful to others and to the natural environment.

That's an interesting perspective. Hope to see more of you around. Welcome!

My reason for being is to serve as a cat cushion. That is good enough for me. Wink
14-03-2011, 08:01 PM
(14-03-2011 12:51 PM)jmason37 Wrote:  My current belief is that gods really do exist, but "only" in human imagination, like other characters from fiction.

If only everyone could tell where their imagination ends and where the real world begins. Almost everyone can do that with Superman and Wonder Woman, why not god?

14-03-2011, 09:54 PM

Icelandic young skeptic, speak Icelandic, English, Japanese, some Danish, Norwegian, Swedish and Thai.

Wink Icelandic exchange student that went to Japan.
Thread Closed