Introduce Yourself HERE!
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Votes - 5 Average
03-02-2013, 07:59 AM
RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
Thanks! As you can see, I joined today. I needed a bit fresh air, away from my believer and heavily devoted(read extremist) friends.
Find all posts by this user
03-02-2013, 08:01 AM
Hey all

I live in London, UK, where I’m a University lecturer. I was never religious in any sense of actual commitment, but over the years, I made two jump from being an ‘accident-of-birth Anglican’ and not thinking about religion at all (i.e. ‘asleep’) to being a committed antitheist and opponent of ‘Woo’ in general (i.e. ‘awake’). Step 1 was reading the bible, cover to cover, after which I became a conscious atheist (i.e. I made a deliberate choice), but remained largely disinterested. Step 2 was 11th September 2001 and again (as if a further push were needed) 7th July 2005, after which I
became a committed antitheist.

Although I’d always been opposed to ‘woo’ and ‘woo-ish’ thinking, prior to those events I had always granted religion the immunity from criticism that (I now see) it has never earned and does not deserve. I have a great deal of respect for people whose ‘awaking’ was tougher than mine and I’ve heard the stories of many here.
[+] 1 user Likes Glider's post
04-02-2013, 01:24 AM
People call me Nicholas or Nick for short but I am a junior in high school doing quite of bit of everything. I have been atheist for a long time and not everyone in my life had grown to accept it. In a way I think people wouldn't be surprised if I were atheist because I do have a broad way of thinking using mostly logic. However, I attend many activities after school as I am a drum major for my band. I love anime because it helps me melt away from reality enjoying the entertainment for what it is no problems needed Smile. Oh and history would be my favorite subject because there is so much to learn and question, I could think for hours Tongue
04-02-2013, 01:38 AM
Hello all,

My name is Michael. A few years ago I made some significant changes in my views and understanding of the Cosmos. Free from supernatural or mystical elements in my world view, I believe
in logic, reason, and the progression of scientific understanding.

The more I educate myself, the less I believe in the idea of a god, and
the happier I become. The more I educate myself, the less I believe
that religion is a force for good. Through understanding of science, I
have resolved confusion. Through proper use of logic and reasoning, I
have let go of fear and anger. And the only thing that makes me sad
anymore, are the uneducated masses, marching blindly towards segregation
and war. Whether they know it or not; we are all part of the conscious
universe, one flowing cosmic ocean. There is fiction in the space
between you and me.

We are all connected, as one with the cosmos.
[+] 2 users Like WeAreTheCosmos's post
04-02-2013, 06:39 PM
Howdy howdy ho. [Image: Tip-Hat.gif]

(04-02-2013 01:38 AM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  Hello all,

My name is Michael. A few years ago I made some significant changes in my views and understanding of the Cosmos. Free from supernatural or mystical elements in my world view, I believe

between you and me.

Go ahead, you can say it. "We are God." Girly ain't gonna disagree. But Chas will. Tongue

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
04-02-2013, 06:43 PM
(04-02-2013 06:39 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Howdy howdy ho. [Image: Tip-Hat.gif]

(04-02-2013 01:38 AM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  Hello all,

between you and me.

Go ahead, you can say it. "We are God." Girly ain't gonna disagree. But Chas will. Tongue

Only if he says it.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
04-02-2013, 07:14 PM
Hi Everyone,

I live in southern California, and am 37 years old. I am deconverted and am an atheist. "I do not believe" but am still in the closet to my family and close friends who are still fervently evangelical Christian. I am even in the closet to my colleagues and coworkers because my company is predominantly made up of evangelical Christians, including management.

My deconversion happened over the course of 10 years (doubt => agnostic => atheist), and to anyone but the above people I am fine professing my atheism. I grew up in a Presbyterian church, infant baptized, became "saved" around 13 years old, confirmed at 17, and continued to be very involved in a Baptist (SBC) church through the age of 25. I even got baptized again via immersion (aka "dunked") again when I joined my Baptist church. I went on many mission trips, gave many public testimonies, taught Sunday school and youth ministry, and was a student leader in college ministry. I even took some classes in a seminary but never went any further than that. All the while, I was a successful worship leader and mentor for many years. I was a true believer.

My family is very conservative and my folks are very fervent evangelicals who are elders in their church. They are Korean and are the type to participate in early morning prayer (very popular in Korean churches), but for me it reminds me of the parable (Luke 18) of the Pharisee and tax collector who pray out loud in public in the temple. At any rate, not only do I not want to deal with being ostracized, but all the incessant condescension that comes with "coming out". To make matters worse, my former alcoholic brother in law became "saved" a few years ago and is now a pastor in a Pentecostal church. Very fundamentalist and conservative. Family loves it but it is unbelievably annoying to me.

I am recently married to a non-believer and am very happy with her and she knows about my unbelief. She does not have any real Christian background so she often finds it tough to relate, but she is very supportive and I love her tremendously. My family thinks that I'm just backsliding and "between churches" and understandably they are disappointed that my wife and I do not really go to church. If only they knew the truth! Haha!

Overall I am a much happier person and feel like I can be myself. I feel comfortable in my own skin, except family gatherings like Thanksgiving and Xmas, and enjoy and appreciate life so much more.

The one book (among several others) that closed the door on any remaining belief was Bart Ehrman's "Jesus, Interrupted" and I've been listening to Seth's podcast for over a year now. Love it!

I was listening to the podcast today and decided to say hello here.

Thanks for reading!
[+] 1 user Likes zontiago's post
04-02-2013, 08:42 PM (This post was last modified: 04-02-2013 08:45 PM by WeAreTheCosmos.)
Stating that we are one with the universe isn't like saying "we are god". Gods are usually considered supernatural. I'm saying, in a completely natural sense, that we are connected through the laws of physics. Acknowledging that our skin is not some barrier between "us" and the cosmos; but that the primary forces permeate all that exists in any tangible sense.

"The Individual and the Universe are Inseparable"

Actually, seeing ourselves as one with the cosmos leaves no room for a "higher power", just a oneness... Somewhat taoist, sans supernatural
04-02-2013, 08:48 PM (This post was last modified: 04-02-2013 09:01 PM by GirlyMan.)
(04-02-2013 08:42 PM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  Stating that we are one with the universe isn't like saying "we are god". Gods are usually considered supernatural. I'm saying, in a completely natural sense, that we are connected through the laws of physics. Acknowledging that our skin is not some barrier between "us" and the cosmos; but that the primary forces permeate all that exists in any tangible sense.

"The Individual and the Universe are Inseparable"

Girly's got no problem with redefining God in just that way. Hell Spinoza did a rather nice job of it, much more eloquently and reasoned than Girly could. Thumbsup

Why should the concept and definition of God be fixed and constant? Why can't I redefine it in just such a way? I mean, I can and I do.

Prolly a good time to split this off outta the intro thread and into what could prove to be an interesting thread oh powers that be. Bowing

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
04-02-2013, 09:27 PM (This post was last modified: 04-02-2013 09:32 PM by zontiago.)
Hmmm my mobile post is not showing up, I think. Oh well, hello. Smile
Thread Closed