Introduce Yourself HERE!
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 5 Average
14-03-2011, 10:11 PM

RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
Hey all,

Name's Chris, and I'm a 23 year old (24 in one more month) guy living in Virginia. I am an atheist, and have been since about 11th grade if I'm really honest with myself. I'm set to ship to Basic Military Training for the USAF in June, but I look forward to browsing around and getting to know some people in my time before and after then.
15-03-2011, 07:44 PM

G'day all,

I'm a 41 year old atheist living in the bible belt of Sydney (NW, Baulkham Hills area). Lapsed Catholic since I was about 17. Recent listener to the TTA podcast (among others) and looking forward to getting to know this community (dog knows we need more atheist forums like this). Smile
16-03-2011, 03:49 PM

(14-03-2011 08:01 PM)No J. Wrote:  
(14-03-2011 12:51 PM)jmason37 Wrote:  My current belief is that gods really do exist, but "only" in human imagination, like other characters from fiction.

If only everyone could tell where their imagination ends and where the real world begins. Almost everyone can do that with Superman and Wonder Woman, why not god?

Yes, that's the problem. Gods are particularly tenacious memes. Books like those by Hitchins, Dawkins, Harris, etc., are helpful, as is this web site. For some believers, however, a frontal assault on their gods doesn't work. I don't have a sure-fire answer. On (rare) occasions when I can have discussions with believers, I try to ask questions about their god(s), rather than asserting outright that "God" does not exist. The briefest closing statement that I have come up with is "I know your god is real to you, but many of us do not imagine a god the way you do."
16-03-2011, 07:16 PM
(16-03-2011 03:49 PM)jmason37 Wrote:  The briefest closing statement that I have come up with is "I know your god is real to you, but many of us do not imagine a god the way you do."

That's good, I like it.

My reason for being is to serve as a cat cushion. That is good enough for me. Wink
Find all posts by this user
16-03-2011, 11:05 PM

Hello everybody! I'm new to this site. Just found out about it this evening. After years of trying to find myself fitting in with believing folk, I found myself living alone with all my friends moved away. Over the course of the past 5 years I've shaken off any remnants of faith or beliefs that require it. It's a somewhat lonely existence. Most of my co-workers are evangelical xians and I don't get invited to hang out much.

I'm a 40-year-old single non-custodial father of 2 awesome kids. I live on the Central Coast of California and work for a company making devices for amplifying acoustic instruments.

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.
17-03-2011, 02:07 AM
Hello everyone, My name is Filox, 28 years old, I live in Croatia and I never actually believed in religion, although I was baptized, took the First Holy Communion and received the Holly ghost. I have no idea how to translate that in English, and who cares. Did it because it is a tradition in our country. Now I think it's all very silly and it is unimaginable for me to see that people still believe in those fairy-tales. I consider myself to be a man of science and logic.

Looking forward to help you guys spread the word of truth out there.

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
Find all posts by this user
20-03-2011, 03:14 PM

My name is Brittany. I will be 18 on April 18th. I'm a firefighter, EMT, and mechanic Heart
20-03-2011, 05:32 PM

hello brothers and sisters in atheism,
just an introduction as im a newbie here. My name is Ian, im 36 and a reaserch scientist and university lecturer from England. my specialites being the evolution of the sauropodia and general evolutionary biology. Im also a fierce supporter of education and campaign via the BHA (British Humanist Association) against the teaching of creationism and intelligent design.

For shits and giggles im a bassist in a rock band called Dr Strangelove, i love fucking around in general, debating, spending time with the wife and writing my first book.

its awesome to be here
21-03-2011, 07:13 PM

My name's Chris, I'm a 16 year old from Canada. There was never an exact date that I stopped believing in a god, really it was a slow process which kind of ended when I was 8 years old. My mom was a Christian, not sure what my did thinks, but when I was little my mom tried taking me to church but I absolutely hated it so my dad would always spend the morning with me while my mom and Grandparents went to Church. That separation from religious indoctrination allowed me to be a free thinker, and around the time I was 8 I just stopped believing in a god.

Yeah, not amazing I know XD But whatever Tongue
23-03-2011, 04:26 PM

Hi my name is Joyce I live in Ocala, FL. I will be retiring soon at age 62. Not much for work in this area so I decided to retire.
Thread Closed