Introduce Yourself HERE!
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Votes - 5 Average
10-02-2013, 03:32 PM
RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
I am a 21 year old, I am an atheist from Cairo, Egypt. I am studying Electrical and communication Engineering. I am also self studying Directing till I graduate and do a double major about it, I am a photographer, traveller and a musician in my free time aswell. I thought this would've been a perfect place to meet new people and discuss new things as there is not so much atheists in Egypt as you may know. so, hello everyone.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes kimo10230's post
10-02-2013, 03:41 PM
(10-02-2013 09:35 AM)Techgorilla Wrote:  Hi, I'm a 24 year old male atheist from the Dominican Republic. Been stalking for a while and just suddenly decided to join, just in case i ever have something important to say.

'Hello' is important. Welcome.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-02-2013, 03:42 PM
(10-02-2013 03:25 PM)kfergy2323 Wrote:  Hi my name is Kyle Ferguson

Throughout my life I have been a christian and have recently became an atheist.
I am a college student working on a mechanical engineering degree.

Welcome. Maybe you'r like to start a thread or add to one with your tale of leaving Christianity.

10-02-2013, 03:43 PM
(10-02-2013 03:32 PM)kimo10230 Wrote:  I am a 21 year old, I am an atheist from Cairo, Egypt. I am studying Electrical and communication Engineering. I am also self studying Directing till I graduate and do a double major about it, I am a photographer, traveller and a musician in my free time aswell. I thought this would've been a perfect place to meet new people and discuss new things as there is not so much atheists in Egypt as you may know. so, hello everyone.

Welcome to thew forum.

10-02-2013, 10:28 PM
Evening all,

Been looking for a decent community site for a while until I stumbled upon you good people quite by accident. Figured I'd pop in, stay a while, chime in, and if I haven't been run out of town by the end of the month, maybe settle down and start a farm here...

Raised Jehovah's Witness, born again-again, opened the chakras, dabbled within the pages of the qu'ran, got a sister who's a mormon, and I fucked a catholic choir boy. I realized it was all bullshit when I was about 15 and have been much happier ever since. As an emotional masochist, I occasionally watch an episode of the O'Reilly factor when I need a higher blood pressure (or need to lose a chuby fast).

[Image: SmwyCix.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like PrometheusDarko's post
11-02-2013, 05:34 PM
Hello. I'm 42 years old and am just coming to terms with my atheistic views. I grew up in a devout Christian household. Despite being the model Christian child (saved at 6, baptised at 10 in a Southern Baptist Church), I never really fully bought into the Christian way of life. I was always a truth-seeker who asked questions and wanted answers (which were always in short supply at church). I first began to seriously consider atheism in college when I read The Brothers Karamazov. Ivan resonated with me and I found his attacks on God to be the most devastating (and unanswerable) critique I had ever encountered. Despite this, I lived a life that was largely an illusion to everyone else. I lived for the expectations of others knowing that being completely honest would devastate many friends and family members.

Two years ago at the same church I grew up in, a new pastor with strong Calvinist leanings and the associate pastor engaged in damaging conduct toward my wife. In essence, we were shunned by the leadership at the church because we had knowledge about them that would be damaging to them personally and professionally. We were treated as outcasts in a church we had been leaders in and attended for over thirty years. After a long, heart-wrenching period, we finally left the church for good. Almost all the people we had called friends never spoke to us again. Total silence from the people who professed to demonstrate the love of Christ.

At that point, it was complete for me. The only thing that had kept me in church for so many years was the social connections. Now that we were freed of that, I could safely reject the things that I was supposed to believe. I finally opened up to my wife about what I felt and believed. She has been amazingly supportive of me and knows that I am a man of character who only wants to pursue what is right and true. She still holds to some form of orthodoxy but I think she's on her way to rejecting it as well. Regardless, we love each other and are closer than ever before now that this secret wall that separated us had come down.

Even though I think the men that did this to my wife and family are hypocrites and power mongers, I am thankful in a way for what transpired. It opened the window of opportunity for me to escape and I took it. So far, only my wife and my cousin know of my atheism. I have three kids that I'm not sure what to do about yet. I just hope to instill the good things about Christianity (love for people, forgiveness, mercy, etc.) while nuturing them to think for themselves and seek truth. I will probably open up to them completely as they approach adulthood.

For now, I am content to have peace of mind that has eluded me for my entire life. There will be struggles as I open up to more people in my life, but I look forward to the day when I can be completely open about who I am and what I believe.
11-02-2013, 08:30 PM
Hi my name is Tony. I live in rural PA. New to atheism, I come from being a Born-Again Christian for 21 years. So I guess I would be a Born-Again-Again atheist.

11-02-2013, 08:59 PM
I'm a thirty year old male with a little bit of catholicism in my upbringing. In my youth I tried living as spiritual Christian but I always doubted the existence of God. So I brought myself to try religion and living a spiritual life since all these adults seem to think so highly of their faith. After a few years I was not convinced of the existence of any God or religious claims so I declared myself an atheist. Being Canadian I've never received any backlash against my status as a non-believer and I've followed Seth's podcast since day 1.
12-02-2013, 07:11 AM
Hi!

Greeting from Estonia! I am 31 years old. CEO of a biotechnology company. I have a MSc in Genetics.

I would say I am a natural born atheist. As a matter a fact I really do not think myself as an atheist often. I hope this does make sense. I am an Estonian and most of people here a very down to earth. People reading bible and taking it is a fact are thought to be a little bit silly.

I have been following the videos and other content of this site for a year and I love it. Keep up the good work.
12-02-2013, 08:16 AM
(12-02-2013 07:11 AM)Ashton3805 Wrote:  I am an Estonian and most of people here a very down to earth.
They are also quite a nice-looking bunch, from what I've heard and seen Tongue

You also have the best flag ever. Black and dark blue go great together. Really stylish.

Welcome and enjoy your stay here. Good to have more non-Anglo-American folk around Smile

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
Thread Closed