Introduce Yourself HERE!
Thread Closed 
Thread Rating:
  • 5 Votes - 5 Average
14-02-2013, 11:14 AM
RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
Hi, all. I have been reading about atheism for at least 30 years, watching Hitchens and Harris go at it on Youtube, following various atheism threads on the net. I thought I was going crazy with the obssession to read more and more by Dawkins, Hitchens, Harris, Krauss, et al.
So, here I am at 70 years old, suddenly without the comfort and supprt that my belief - however tenuous it was - gave me. But it doesn't seem to matter as much as I thought it would. My brother is pretty devout in his beliefs, and his children are in that no man's land of just not being in a religions community, where I have been for the last 50 years. No one wants to talk about it.
It wasn't until I read Seth Andrews' book that I finally read something by someone with my general religious background. Pardon the expression, but his book was a godsend to me.
I would love to hear from other seniors who find themselves dealing with end of life issues without religion. Like it or not, organized religion does provide a social and usually supportive network - that is, until you tell someone in that network that you are an atheist. That's my current struggle, and I'm wondering if other seniors feel the same way.
Jixir, the Elder Atheist
Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Jixir's post
14-02-2013, 12:15 PM
Hello. My name is Andy and I have been listening to the thinking atheist podcast for about a year. I was once a believer in Christ but abandoned my faith after looking into textual and biblical criticism. However, the main reason I left my faith was that there is more than one gospel presented in the New Testament (hence all the denominations). I wondered why would a all-powerful, all-knowing God make salvation so confusing and unclear. I also took a look at all the atrocities in the bible that was advocated by Yahweh and had to ask myself if this is a God that is worthy of worship.

I haven't yet jumped over the fence to atheism and as of right now (until I'm given adequate evidence of macro-evolution) I am a deist. I look forward to learning more from this forum.

"The most detestable wickedness, the most horrid cruelties, and the greatest miseries, that have afflicted the human race, have had their origin in this thing called revelation, or revealed religion". Thomas Paine - "The Age of Reason"
14-02-2013, 06:36 PM
Hi everyone! I have been an atheist all my life (though my mother attempted to raise me Catholic). I feel surrounded by theist ignorance and anger and need a place to speak my mind with out being told I am going to hell or missing something in my life. I look forward to reading through the posts!
15-02-2013, 07:59 AM
My name is Clay and I was once a southern baptist christian. I was raised in the baptist church and continued to go to church until I was in college. It was then that I realized that I did not really enjoy going because I would rather stay out on Saturday and drink with my friends than go to bed early to get ready for church the next day.

It was not until I started to take physics classes and fell in love with physics that I started to read about Astrophysics and started learning where I came from and how I was created. This really did not set well with religion. At that point I started to realize that religion would bend the rules to bring more people in and to get people to stop asking questions. The first case that I came across was gay people. When I was young, it was a sin, it should be abolished, they had a choice, they were going to hell, you should not talk to them, etc. and then later it came about that they wanted gay people in the church so that they could "heal" them.

I think it is not until you take a outward look into the church you can not appreciate the hypocrisy and the lunacy that is taught in the church. I am a career firefighter in a small town and everyday I deal with people that thank god for me working on grandma or when I cut someone out of a car or when I stop a building from burning down. I deal with my crew when they want to pray before each meal. My crew does not know that I am an atheist and until I am there for a while longer they wont know. I do not want them to fear going into a burning building with me because I do not have the lord on my side or something ridiculous like that. I still have friends in the church and even married to a theist. I love my wife and know that she loves me. I respect her right to believe in whatever she wants to believe as long as she respects my right.
15-02-2013, 03:33 PM
Hello everyone... I'm new here lol.... anyways I was born and raised here in Southern California-San Diego.. I'm marriages or children yet....

I was raised liberal baptist but then went to a conservative baptist college here in San Diego for a few years.

then I went and lived in Mexico-Tijuana/rosarito for a few years as a missionary.... then in fall of 2005 my Dad died=he was a non-praciting catholic-I was never baptized catholic though..... so after he died I came back here to be with my family in san Diego...

So I started visiting some pentecostal churches and liked them at first but then there was too much hypocrisy and cognative dissonance..... so I left pentecostalism and visited a huge mega church-non denomonatonal for a while-but they were too political and anti-GLBT and too cultish so I left and joined for about a year a new young adult baptist church-and I liked it but they had too many changes and I felt like I outgrew them-I needed something more/something deeper..

and all this time after every church I left, I found some books by atheist- Guy P. Harrison and those books really rocked my world....

but then about 3 years ago-I decdied to try/check out catholicism-the catholic church... so I've been going to catholic churches now for the last 3 years or so.....and I like the structure and the spirituality of catholicism/catholic churches.- but now I CANNOT STAND the dogmas and the repressed sexuality there!!!! As well as the cognative dissonance too!!! And all these Evangelical Catholics have really gotten under my skin and make me want to vomit!!!!

So last week I listened to George Carlin on religion and that REALLY opened my eyes!!!!!!

And I think I"m an agnostic/atheist in the closet.... but I still like going to church/mass.... i just don't buy all the other b.s.
16-02-2013, 07:28 PM
Hello, everyone. I guess I will start off by telling a brief history of myself. I was raised in southeastern Kansas about two hours north of Tulsa in a town called Coffeyville. I didn't have religion stuffed down my throat but not professing Christianity was most certainly frowned upon. I went off to college and through a friend ended up nose deep in a non-denominational spirit filled church. I said THE prayer and accepted Jesus as my personal savior. Within a month I had also "received the Holy Spirit" who would allegedly give me some sort of magical gift. Not long after this I began playing the guitar with the "worship team". I ended up moving into the church parsonage a mere 5 yards away from the very altar on which I was spending well over 6 hours a day playing music for the lord.

I could drag this out even more but to keep this a bit shorter basically I ended up moving halfway across the country, being just as frustrated with the church I started attending there. I eventually stopped going to church but still maintained my Christian beliefs. That lasted a few more years but as time moved on and I sat through conversations with my devout mother, extremely religious funerals of loved ones, and half cocked motivational encouragements from past church friends I began to feel silly about my entire belief system. I explored various documentaries, books, blogs, and other valuable information resources and found so many loopholes and flaws in the stories I'd been spoon fed that I decided I could no longer follow a path built around hand me down fairy tales with no real foundation. I have been religion free for about half a year now and I absolutely love the freedom that I have. However, this enlightenment has left me isolated as a black sheep in my family. I am prayed for and worried about constantly. I'm just "going through a phase". I just "need to seek God for answers".

I had been browsing TTA for some time even while I was still a Christian. I
recently picked up Seth's book and I couldn't read it fast enough. I decided to become a part of this fast growing community and here I am.
16-02-2013, 09:52 PM
Hi everybody! Obviously, I'm new here. Otherwise I would not really have to introduce myself. Anyways, I was born into a Christian family, and my parents seem to deny the fact that I'm atheist. Even though I've told them flat out that I am. It appears as though they think this is just a phase I am going through but I can assure you, it is not. (Just like Mr.Amorfus above me...or is his post below me?)

I used to be a strong believer in my younger years. But that, of course, is because it's all I ever really knew. I was never introduced to the idea that, "Hey, maybe there isn't a god?" I started to notice what a cruel place the world is and I always wondered "Why would god let this happen?" And all the bible stories were nice and fun, but I again thought for myself, and those things just don't seem possible. So I looked for help. Help that my parents could not give for once. I stumbled across this site and I found my answer. This answer actually made sense for once, and did not just contradict itself and go in circles. Atheism, was the answer.

So..yeah, that should be all for now. Thank you for your time.
16-02-2013, 10:15 PM
I’ve been an atheist for about four years now. I
transitioned from gnostic theistic to agnostic atheist after stumbling across
The Atheist Experience on YouTube. I’m still very closeted. I have no idea how
my family would react, and since I ended up moving back in with my parents I’m
in no rush to find out. I keep telling myself that once I get steady employment
and my own place I’ll come out. About everything. I just don’t know if I have
the courage of that conviction. I also identify as gay woman, bisexual with
homo-romantic leanings to be precise. That also wouldn’t go over well in a
south Texas, small Christian town. I’m desperate to find a place I can be
myself and just breathe. After years of listening to podcasts and lurking I’m
hoping this might be the place to start.
17-02-2013, 02:32 AM
I guess it's my turn. I have been lurking these forums for quite some time now and signed up a few weeks ago. I'm Eric. I'm 23 years of age and live in Tennessee. I have been an atheist since around the age of 17 or 18. And by "been an atheist," I mean knowingly been an atheist.

I was raised in a Christian home, went to church for most of my life up until around the time that I was 15 or 16. I went to church mainly because my parents went to church and I had some friends there. But something just never really clicked with me. I never really cared about what was being taught. Let's face it, all of you who were raised like I was just went to go out to eat afterwards.

Ironically enough, after I stopped attending church was when I really became interested in religion. After making certain discoveries on my own, I made the decision that religion was not for me for many reasons. Since then, I've been actively atheist and love nothing more than good religious discussions.

Anyway, that's me in a nutshell.
17-02-2013, 06:45 AM
im Adam
my name is Adam and from day one I was a pain in the ass to most of my Sunday school teachers and my mother and grand mother tried to instill a Christian value system onto me but I just always had so many questions that always ended in the same answer . "you just have to have faith!" is what they always said and I fide it very difficult to have any faith at all in what I have never seen. I tried to have faith but felt let down by my prayers going unanswered as a child and then the answer to why that happened is that "god works in mysterious ways" well that's a load of crap and now I am hoping to make friends on here that feel the same way. Evil_monster
Thread Closed