Introduce Yourself HERE!
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 5 Average
27-03-2011, 11:39 PM
RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
Hello, my name is Michael. I'm nineteen years old and I attend the Illinois Institute of Technology in Chicago. I've questioned religion since the concept was first introduced to me, but it wasn't until my sophomore year of high school that I was able to confidently say that "I am an atheist."

The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one
Find all posts by this user
28-03-2011, 04:07 PM

My name is Rob, I'm in the US Army and I've spent most of my time in the service stationed in Germany, but I'm originally from NYC. I've been an open atheist for about 10 years now, but I was a hidden atheist since I was about 11...I'm 31 now. That's about it!
29-03-2011, 08:06 AM

Hello, I'm new here. I recently found "ThethinkingAtheist" , and I became hooked on it. After watching all of the cool videos offered, I then decided my next step would be to join the forum. Plenty of experience talking in forums, mostly sports related in the past. But my passion is messing with Christians. I love pushing them into their little insecure corners with their dogmatic view on things. I am no troll, I just believe in the power of common sense, and the term "Rationalism". I am a huge fan of Penn & Teller, & Bill Maher, and I am incapable of bullshitting. So be warned.

I was raised in a Mormon household. A strict one. And I didn't break free of that until the age of 18. When it was time to decide on a Mormon Mission, or college. I chose college. And committed social suicide with my family in doing so.

I look forward to becoming a part of this community, and invite you to engage me in intelligent conversation. Come correct. Like a Jedi. And you will be treated as such.

29-03-2011, 08:22 PM

Hey all, I'm a 21 year old junior in college pursuing a Business Management degree and have been an open atheist for a couple of years now. I was raised in a Southern Baptist home and attended church regularly for quite a few years by rule of my otherwise awesome parents. I began to question their worldview through high school and college has really helped to open my eyes. I recently found this site's page on Facebook and have been immersed in recent videos and conversation. I'm very glad to have found a community free of ignorance and closed minds.

-Ryan
29-03-2011, 10:07 PM

I'm a 20 year old U.S. college student majoring in mathematics. I plan on getting a Ph.D. in mathematics. My dream job would be to work somewhere like the Clay Mathematics Institute, but I will probably end up working for the government in national security. I grew up in a religious household and was extremely religious myself. My journey to atheism took a long time, but education and critical thinking was key. I finally fully deconverted from an agnostic (in the colloquial sense) into a fully fledged atheist on November 2, 2009 at 5AM in the morning after I watched Lawrence Krauss's AAI 2009 lecture A Universe From Nothing; what Krauss did was he ripped away the first cause argument from me, which was what I clinged onto for the longest, I hope I get to meet him one day so I can personally thank him for my atheism.
29-03-2011, 11:17 PM

Hey guys!

My (real) name is Eliot, and I described myself as an agnostic/Buddist for a long time, until just over a year ago. What really changed my mind was when I began to watch videos of Prof. Richard Dawkins on youtube. His reasoned arguments, his extremely positive attitude and apparent love of nature and evolution really inspired me to think about what people were saying, and showed me how deluded my dualistic and unscientific ideas about the universe were. Some others I am a huge fan of are Christopher Hitchens and Philip Pullman (His Dark Materials rules!!!).
I was recently perusing youtube's highly entertaining vault of tasteful and witty blasphemy when I came across "Top 10 Creationist Arguments" by The Thinking Atheist. I was so impressed and happy with the video that I searched out this website, hoping I could find a forum and website where I could feel at home, and where my every word won't be misconstrued to peddle someone else's religious dogmatic bullcrap! Best regards,
Eliot

(30-08-2010 09:46 PM)Soldieringon Wrote:  Hey

I was looking for a place to introduce myself, and realized that there was no "one thread" for members to do so. I thought I would start one.

I'm Paul. I am a 31 y/o male stationed with the Army in South Korea. I have been an Atheist all my life, I was raised as one. I run a small blog and I am getting ready to leave the Army.

I am an open atheist, there's no hiding for me, I tell other people about Atheism and why I choose to be one. But I try very hard not to be pushy about it.

Anyone else?
[+] 1 user Likes Ellems's post
30-03-2011, 06:43 PM

I am a 41 year-old who was raised going a Baptist church of some sort (I know there are various flavors of Baptist, but I really don't know or care what exact sect they belonged to). I believed strongly enough that it tore me apart when I began having doubts. Really what tore me up was the fear-and-stress-inducing battle of trying to hang on to my belief in the face of the "difficulties" in the bible. Ultimately, after about 3 or 4 years of struggle, the apologist arguments just seemed too incredibly contrived and implausible for me to accept, and the last straw broke; I lost my faith. I was 22 at the time.

Many years later, I ended up marrying a Christian woman, which surprised me; I never thought I would get into such a relationship, but we just couldn't seem to stay apart, despite our conflicting views of reality.

I have a comment I specifically wanted to make about something discussed in the recent "Can atheists and believers have successful love relationships?" episode of the podcast, but after skimming the forum a bit, I am still not sure where in the forums episode discussion is generally done (or if it is done at all, here). If I missed it, I apologize. Can someone point me in the right direction? Or if there is no designated place for doing so, I guess I could just start a thread about it in the Atheism/Theism or Coffeehouse sections...?
[+] 1 user Likes Reason Being's post
31-03-2011, 09:46 AM
I'm going to be 30 in two days. I was spared childhood indoctrination in any organized religion. I'm going to post something I wrote a few years ago, changing as little as possible. Guess its not so bad if you plagiarize right? Here goes:

When I was in Fifth grade we all stood to recite the pledge of allegiance and I pondered the words and their meaning. They all made some sort of sense except 'Under God.' It was a question I felt, for whatever reason, should remain unasked. Perhaps due to my desire to remain in good standing with the relevant authority figures.

In elementary school we sang songs to Columbus who 'discovered America'. We should've sang praise to Eratosthenes of Alexandria. He calculated the circumference of a 'round' earth to high precision millenia before Columbus was even born.

In Middle School we learned Greek mythology and I figured 'God' was our culture's equivalent. Ancient stories from which we derive meaning to apply to the questions of today. To give some people a foundation upon which to build their lives. I found myself wondering how many centuries would have to pass before children learned of Jesus the same way I learned about Zeus.

In high school I saw news coverage in the library of some sort of meeting between the President and Arab leaders. Seeing this I figured there must be isolated pockets of people out there who still took religion seriously, or at least chose to take it upon themselves to practice local traditions for their own sake, carrying them lovingly into the future.

All this time I adopted a live and let live philosophy with those who thought differently from myself. Who was I to presume I knew better?

9/11 happened and I realized some people will go to any length to rationalize violence. There are those who would hijack their culture's values, their people's personal moral standing, and distort them for their own selfish political agendas. They would dare to call it morality, and they would find many others willing to embrace the flames of destruction.

I was still in college at this time. Most of my thinking was focused on curriculum to the abandon of most everything else I now realize.

Since graduating with my BA, I found myself scouring the internet for knowledge... looking for others who thought like me. 7 years out of school, finding myself typing all this, I can reflect properly.

Through the magic of the digital age (pod casts and websites), I've come to appreciate my scientific world view for what it is.

I've run the spectrum of academic beliefs: certainty that the universe doesn't owe us comfort or meaning, questioning my perception of reality, judging others a little too quickly. All this when I should've pondered the words I heard so long ago: the wise man knows that he knows nothing.

Given an infinite universe, that which we deem improbable, even impossible, may end up being inevitable. How presumptuous we are.

Given enough time, the space between us and the nearest galaxies may expand enough that our decedents will ''observe' nothing outside the Milky Way. Humanity may revert to earlier notions that there is nothing at all in the great beyond.

Given the above, my objective world view, which I've valued my whole life, is in question.

If those who follow us fail to conceive of a reality beyond that which they can see, or worse mistake our ponderings (should they survive) for delusion just as we look at the religious teachings of the societies in power before us with pity for their ignorance, how can we progress?

I wonder if humanity will survive long enough to migrate to another solar system before the average yellow star we've deemed the Sun dies and takes the Earth with it.

I've come to value the people in my life more than anything, and I'm struggling with a way to express it.

I feel its up to us to give our own lives meaning. Starting with the people we choose to walk alongside down the path of life.

Despite the above, part of me cant help wondering if happiness is anything more than a self imposed delusion in itself. Something our brains have evolved to do over time.

I don't know what I want out of life, other than I don't wish to lose anyone else in the process of living it.

I'm happy to have had the chance to discuss the book Atlas Shrugged briefly with my uncle before his passing. I have a copy that is on my reading list.

I don't know if I should go back to school for an MBA, a major I took out of indecision, or take up a scientific branch, something I may enjoy yet not have the aptitude for.

I guess happiness for me is instilling it in those around me.

I wish I could claim all this came from my own mind. The truth is I've likely heard it all else where. I just put it together in this particular way for reasons I don't understand. I guess everyone looks for a way to express themselves once they find something to say.

I'll take that a step further and borrow from what I've read most recently. I too would like to be able to play the piano. I would love to sit down and play Chopin, give it my own spin.

"Heresy is the eternal dawn, the morning star, the glittering herald of the day. Heresy is the last and best thought. It is the perpetual New World, the unknown sea, toward which the brave all sail. It is the eternal horizon of progress."
-Robert Ingersoll, Heretics And Herecies (1874)
01-04-2011, 07:11 AM
Welcome to all the new people!

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
03-04-2011, 07:12 PM
Hello,

I'm a currently 59 year old male from the Pacific Northwest, Burien WA, USA to be exact, and my real name is Stan (now there's a big surprise, eh?). I just joined and hopefully will post from time to time. I work with computers at our county library system (King County Public Library System, for those interested) and often find I have no energy for computers, discussions or debates of any kind after a day at the library(see the online cartoon Unshelved), but I so thoroughly enjoyed The Thinking Atheists videos on YouTube that I wanted to be a part of this community.

I have only recently (within the past year) openly declared myself an atheist, though I am now quite proud to do so. For many years I considered myself a militant agnostic: I don't know and you don't either! To some extent this is still true, but I find that there is no reputable evidence for any sort of supernatural mover or creator and plenty of reasons to doubt one does now or ever did exist, and so I now proudly claim the atheist label.

I also know that for some time I just didn't want to offend those of my friends and family who do believe, some quite vehemently, but found that I was often lying to them and not being true to myself when I din't come out and say that I don't believe in God, Jesus Christ (although I believe wholeheartedly in the existence my Hispanic friends named Jesus), the entire pantheon of the Hindu gods, Allah, Mohammed the Prophet, Buddha, or the deity of the Dali Lama, and I could go on.

Being a progressive in the Seattle area one makes the acquaintance of many varieties of new age practitioners, and I didn't want to provoke arguments. But I now understand that we need to speak up for reason and against superstition and pseudo-science. This is part of my way of doing so, as well as a place to learn practical and polite approaches to this debate .

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." Groucho Marx
Thread Closed