Introduce Yourself HERE!
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Votes - 5 Average
06-03-2013, 07:45 AM
RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
Hello.

Been lurking for a short time,decided to register,and bring some more joy to the place!

About me: I'm 31,I'm a guy,and live in Maryland,USA. Pretty much been an atheist/skeptic since childhood,and prefer the company of non-theists.

Looking forward to discussing things with you all.
Find all posts by this user
06-03-2013, 12:54 PM
Hello, my name is Jay. I'm eighteen years old and I'm a born again atheist. I was raised Christian but about a year ago I finally stopped believing in magic and monsters and it feels great. I love music and currently learning to play piano and would love to be in band! I love astronomy, and cosmology and when I get the money I'm going to go to school to study those subjects! I also enjoy long walks on the beach. Oh and I'm terrible cook.
[+] 2 users Like Jayy's post
06-03-2013, 01:23 PM (This post was last modified: 06-03-2013 03:10 PM by FSM_scot.)
Hello!
Dear The Thinking Atheist community, My name is Andrea Navarro. I'm a graduate journalism student at Columbia University. I'm writing a story about ex Catholics and found this forum. I would love to interview some of you on why and how you decided to leave the Catholic Church. I won't take up more than 45 min. of your time, perhaps even less. I'm in New York, so we could do it over the phone or even Skype. If this sounds as something that you might like to do, please respond as soon as you can, as my deadline is approaching. Thank you for your time. Best, Andrea NavarroMS in Journalism CandidateFulbright ScholarColumbia Journalism School
06-03-2013, 04:46 PM
(06-03-2013 07:45 AM)Juv Wrote:  About me: I'm 31,I'm a guy,and live in Maryland,USA. Pretty much been an atheist/skeptic since childhood,and prefer the company of non-theists.

Welcome comrade! I'm in College Park in the People's Republic of Maryland. Big Grin

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
06-03-2013, 04:49 PM
(06-03-2013 12:54 PM)Jayy Wrote:  Hello, my name is Jay. I'm eighteen years old and I'm a born again atheist. I was raised Christian but about a year ago I finally stopped believing in magic and monsters and it feels great. I love music and currently learning to play piano and would love to be in band! I love astronomy, and cosmology and when I get the money I'm going to go to school to study those subjects! I also enjoy long walks on the beach. Oh and I'm terrible cook.

Welcome Jay! As you go along in life keep this in mind: youth is NEVER wasted on the young! It is given to them so that they can take incredible chances, go to incredible lengths, and attempt incredible actions without doing any damage at all to themselves! And also keep in mind with respect to all those others you'll meet along the way.....first - do no harm!
Have a ball!

"People don't go to heaven when they die; they're taken to a special room and burned!" Evil_monster
06-03-2013, 04:55 PM
(01-03-2013 02:09 PM)Doddyswe Wrote:  Greetings from Sweden!
I'm Daniel, born -90 and serve in the military. I'm looking forward to joining the community! Smile
Welcome Daniel...
Sweden is a beautiful country; it has wonderful winters....kind of like Wisconsin where I live.
Welcome!

"People don't go to heaven when they die; they're taken to a special room and burned!" Evil_monster
06-03-2013, 06:44 PM
(06-03-2013 04:46 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(06-03-2013 07:45 AM)Juv Wrote:  About me: I'm 31,I'm a guy,and live in Maryland,USA. Pretty much been an atheist/skeptic since childhood,and prefer the company of non-theists.

Welcome comrade! I'm in College Park in the People's Republic of Maryland. Big Grin
Cool. I'm in the Baltimore metro area.

We're practically neighbors,then!
06-03-2013, 09:54 PM
Out of the closet and free from religion
Hello friends,
My name is Ken, and I chose my username, "Ken4Reason" as a bit of a play on words. One definition of 'ken' is range of knowledge, or 'know', and so I wanted to express my desire to "know for Reason in and of itself" - and of course my name is ken.
My Deconversion story... Warning long read. Abandon now if you want.
I was raised in a "lazy" religious family. I don't really remember going to church much before the age of 10 or so, but at some point in my pre-teens, my parents were visited by Mormon Missionaries and soon joined. We went to church more regularly, and I did the Sunday School thing and 'sort of' expected to go on a Mission someday. I was never really that interested, it just sort of became part of what is a normal part of youth to me. At one point, we even moved to Utah to be nearer the church's foundation, but that only lasted a year before we had to move again for my father to find work.
After leaving Utah, we went to church much less often, (remember the lazy religious part) and I went back to being a regular teen. I maintained a belief in God, but I was not a cheerleader of any sort. I had not really read the bible, but believed the stories as they were told to me in my youth. You know, the cherry-picked stories meant to teach morals and faith in God and Jesus.
Fast forward to my 18th birthday and I joined the Military. I wanted to see the world and I met many fascinating cultures, and religions. I never saw them as wrong, rather I decided in my own mind that God just appeared to different cultures they way [they] needed him to be. I had designed my own God who was All Things to Everyone, and I found both a way to feel good about that as well as not need to go to church, as I was "believing in my own way", and I figured God would be OK with that.
Fast forward still further and I am marrying my one true love. What does a good husband do? I thought. A good husband is the head of a household and is the leader in a family. (that Mormon doctrine really sticks in your brain). So, I talked to my new wife and we made time to speak to Missionaries. We were soon baptised and started doing the Sunday thing, listening to stories and talking to folks while wearing our Sunday Best.
We tried... Really we did. But while the Mormons do many great things for the community, I started to actually listen to the sermons and to the people in the pews. Racism, homophobic ideas, gossiping and other behaviors we did not agree with. And.. never mind the crazy space stories and be-your-own-god ideas of ruling another planet in the afterlife. What the hell were my parents thinking?
We tried out a more liberal (or so we thought) Christian church years later after we had children and (here we go again) wanted to bring good faith and morals to our kids. The one Sunday, our 6 year old came to us in tears after children's services because he was told by the youth services teacher that both his Aunt and his recently passed Grandmother were going to hell. His Grandmother, my mother in law, had killed herself over her grief from an unfaithful husband which had been intensified by her own increasing drug use. My wife's sister (our boys' Aunt) was Lesbian and so the two of them were going to burn forever in hell according to the kids church teacher. No more church for us.
Today. My wife still believes in 'a God', but she's still a scientist by nature and I feel is leaning toward Agnostic. I realised that I had only been playing Pascal's Wager for many years. Praying just in case, and even then only when I needed something. Rarely would I pray for anything other than "Dear God, get me out of this mess and I promise to yadda yadda yadda...". I went through a short transition (really only a couple months) where I thought I was moving to the Intelligent Designer camp, but that God just spun the wheel and we've been alone ever since.
I worked out my own Theory of Everything, so to speak where God, or The ID gave a single, one-word 'command' to the universe; "Be". For me it solved everything from the big bang, to particles, to altruism in nature and evolution. If every particle in the universe was just following that one order from God, everything else was an evolutionary means to that end.
That's nice, but it's a load of crap, I finally realised. When my 15 year old declared himself an Atheist (we have 3 boys), I just said to him, "You have a right to choose your own way, as long as you are a good person and happy". I then looked into what it really meant to be an Atheist and came across The Thinking Atheist.com, in particular Seth's videos. I started listening to the podcasts during my morning commute and reading through Seth's Articles on bible controversies and contradictions and I found links to others like Hitchens, James Randi and Penn Jillette's Podcast, and decided to stop fooling myself.
There's no way I can believe any of this nonsensical Bible, and all my ideas that God was 'all things to everyone', or that a grand ID whispered "Be" and then bailed on all of his creation fell apart in about a week.
I expressed to my wife that I will support her ideas, but that I can no longer play Pascal's Wager. She was a little upset at first; not that I was going to burn for eternity, but rather that I had lost a part of myself, that if faith equals hope then maybe I would be less hopeful and less happy. I need to make sure that I show her I can be good without god. I don't try to de-convert her, but I do insert the occassional comment about the bible stories like Lot's wife (and the rest of that horror story), the flood which never happened, the obvious plagiarisms in the bible, and so on.
Well, that's my story. I apologize for its length, and can appreciate that much like a church pew, you were a captive audience (if you chose to read this far...), and so my rant is over.
But not my journey.
I am Ken and I am an Atheist. I seek truth, whatever it may be, and I will treat others with kindness and respect, and I will fight for freedom and against oppression. I will defend the defenseless and lift the downtrodden, and I will do this because I share this planet and my DNA with every other living thing; not because I was told to.
Ken4Reason
[+] 2 users Like Ken4Reason's post
06-03-2013, 11:51 PM
RE: Out of the closet and free from religion
(06-03-2013 09:54 PM)Ken4Reason Wrote:  I am Ken and I am an Atheist. I seek truth, whatever it may be, and I will treat others with kindness and respect, and I will fight for freedom and against oppression. I will defend the defenseless and lift the downtrodden, and I will do this because I share this planet and my DNA with every other living thing; not because I was told to.
Ken4Reason

That's... Blink quite inspiring. Welcome Smile
07-03-2013, 09:42 AM
Howdy. Since people from this forum were joining the AthiestForums.org, I thought I'd return the favor and meet some fresh ones.
I am a closet athiest and a not-so-closet apikoris (heretic) who lives in a very Jewish Orthodox town outside of Jerusalem. While a bit of heresy is put up with, outright atheism would result in more of a life change than I am willing to do right now. ("Run away! Run away!"). I am married, have 4 step children and that have 5 children of their own - all of whom put up with my quirks ("What to you mean the earth is older than 5773 years old?!). I am also tri-lingual and used to volunteer a lot in the anti-missionary area. The problem with debunking someone elses dogma, you end up, if you are honest enough, debunking your own.
Anyhow, hello. Cool

“I've done everything the Bible says — even the stuff that contradicts the other stuff!"— Ned Flanders
[+] 3 users Like EGross's post
Thread Closed