Introduce Yourself HERE!

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Votes - 5 Average
09-03-2013, 07:26 PM
RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
I'm a 32 year old German.

Born in the very city where reformer Martin Luther had once worked and started his reformation, I was brought up a Protestant.
When I started to delve into the subject of religion I went from Apatheism (aka "Idontcareism") trough Deism and Panentheism to Atheism.
I officially left the church in 2008.

RAMEN!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-03-2013, 06:07 AM
(09-03-2013 07:26 PM)PapaJoe Wrote:  I'm a 32 year old German.

Born in the very city where reformer Martin Luther had once worked and started his reformation, I was brought up a Protestant.
When I started to delve into the subject of religion I went from Apatheism (aka "Idontcareism") trough Deism and Panentheism to Atheism.
I officially left the church in 2008.
Willkommen an Bord. Smile

[Image: IcJnQOT.gif]
10-03-2013, 11:08 PM
Hi everyone,
I'm Shawn and 41 yrs old. I have been considering atheism for several years now. I grew up catholic, but haven't been to mass for decades, until I went once last year. I found it was still the same mind numbing stuff. I was divorced a few years ago, because my wife wanted me to be a born again Christian, but I just couldn't do it, I tried to believe for many years though. Looking at all the evidence I believe atheism is the only sane way to be. Hope to find some good conversation on this site.
11-03-2013, 11:00 AM
Hi,

My real name is David and I'm 32 years old. When I was a child I always felt that I had a calling on my life to preach the gospel, I ran from that calling for 29 years but finally in 2009 I decided it was time stop running and fully follow God's plan. This lead me to do some serious study of the bible while preparing to go to seminar. Since I previously read Conservative Evangelical NT introductions, this time I got Raymond Brown's excellent NT introduction which was the first time I read any critical scholarship. At first I was shocked at the idea that perhaps the virgin birth didn't happen, or that Paul did actually write 1 & 2 Timothy, etc., but I was hooked, I continued to read these non-evangelical books (along with the conservative ones to counterbalance it). The critical scholarship ones made such sense, while the others had to rely on blind faith, slowly my faith eventually dwindled. By early 2011 my faith was on the ropes, but I somehow barely held on, hoping to fully come back to the fold with a stronger moe mature faith until I fully admitted to myself in Jan 2012 that I'm a non-theist (specifically rejecting the notion of an interventionist deity).

My close family (wife, parents, brother) knows of my apostasy (and they continually pray for my soul), but I've not told anyone else (I live in north texas and this isn't an easy thing to admit).
[+] 1 user Likes FeelHappiness's post
11-03-2013, 06:53 PM
Hello, I'm Jake and I'm 28 years old. I was raised as a Seventh-Day Adventist, and in college, I passionately argued against Atheism, cosmology, abiogenesis, and evolution. My memory isn't as sharp as I would like it to be, but at some point, I started to grow tired of arguing for Christianity and going to church.

Perhaps I became disillusioned with the idea of god having a plan for my life, because it seemed like my life was going nowhere and I had no idea what I wanted to do with my life. Whereas there had been structure and a clear direction to go in when I was in high school, in college, those things went away, and my social life decayed as friends moved away. I felt abandoned and lost.

I began to open my mind to other worldviews and the claims of science that I had once rejected. It was tough, but I stopped going to church, took the Blasphemy Challenge, and told my friends and family that I didn't believe in god anymore. My journey into Atheism may have been emotionally-driven at first, but rationality has taken over and I've never relapsed into Christianity.

I do miss being part of a community, so I am involved with my former church in a limited capacity. I go to a weekly bible discussion group, but it's filled with open-minded people. I also get involved with church plays, but I put a secular spin on my characters and their lines that's not blatantly obvious.

Anyway, I hope this will be a good place to vent. I don't have any Atheist friends on Facebook, so my rants on there are either ignored or argued against.
14-03-2013, 11:59 AM
Hi chaps!
Oh...is that to British?...sorry...I'll start again...
Hi guys!
...well at least you've now gleaned one thing about me Cool
My name's...er...well...Ian, clearly, and I'm Londoner now living in the countryside in good old UK.
Coming from (probably) the most Atheist country in the world (some might argue otherwise) I feel this is my natural home after all it is gods Dawkins country.
Thanks for admitting me fellas buds! (did I do it right?)
Thumbsup
14-03-2013, 08:59 PM
(14-03-2013 11:59 AM)ian Wrote:  Hi chaps!
Oh...is that to British?...sorry...I'll start again...
Hi guys!
...well at least you've now gleaned one thing about me Cool
My name's...er...well...Ian, clearly, and I'm Londoner now living in the countryside in good old UK.
Coming from (probably) the most Atheist country in the world (some might argue otherwise) I feel this is my natural home after all it is gods Dawkins country.
Thanks for admitting me fellas buds! (did I do it right?)
Thumbsup
Close enough! Welcome aboard, we have several non-American, even British users. I hope you can use your superior language skills to argue for the logical, and godless side. Of course feel free to participate in other discussions!

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
14-03-2013, 11:43 PM
My name is Cameron, I was raised Mormon which included serving a mission and even getting married in the temple. I have been an atheist for the past few years. I am 29 yrs and currently an Anthropology major at the University of Utah and have become very educated on human evolution. Evolution is my absolute favorite subject. I also study reptiles and am doing work on rattlesnake bones from Baja California. I am still married and she is still a believer.
[+] 1 user Likes CRamsey1's post
15-03-2013, 06:31 AM
Hi, I am Aayush sinha...an 19 year old boy from India....the land of religious nuts and cuts...(we tend to take our Hindu vs Islam/ Christianity scuffles very seriously...unfortunately)....I am a deist...became a deist when I was 14....simply because I could not take religion at face value seriously....you know, this is a thing that bothers me the most....a child can look past your lucrative lies about the afterlife by following such archaic and conclude that it is bullshit....yet you can't?...and you have the audacity to call yourself an adult?....
[+] 1 user Likes Aayush_davinci's post
15-03-2013, 04:57 PM
Hello Fellow Athiests!!!! I am an evolving atheist who spends time dispelling the myth permeated injustices of our society and laws! Mother of 5, grandmother of 5, I hope to be an example of truth and strength for my girls (yes, all girls) as they navigate an antiquated suppressed world. I spent 14 years studying theology, ancient history, latin, psychology as a former Latin Rite Catholic. Then I went beyond until I came to truth.

[font="Arial"]Ámê®ï©âñ¤WømåÑ
[/font]
[+] 1 user Likes AmericanWoman's post