Introduce Yourself HERE!
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Votes - 5 Average
17-03-2013, 10:29 AM
RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
JeffB:
Sorry, not "born and bred" in Berkshire; I'm originally from Kent. I moved to Berkshire in 1984 when I changed jobs; been here ever since.
Find all posts by this user
17-03-2013, 01:18 PM
I am a 50 year old man, and have been an athiest most of my life. When I was a young Catholic boy, we were told a horror story in Sunday School: Apparently, there once was a young temptress, (I'm sure she was a temptress because all women are) who doubted the redeeming power of the eucharist. Well, this vile creature, no doubt tempted by Satan himself. . . or maybe it was one of his lesser minions, depends on the value of young temptress souls, I guess, decided to remove the eucharist from her mouth and cut in half for some reason. When she did that, blood flowed from it like a river! It fell upon her shoes and stained the floors of the pew where she was sitting! Obviously, she was marked as the vile temptress she was and roasted in Hell forever! Well of course I had to try it myself! What 11 year old boy can resist rivers of blood! No such luck for me, I'm afraid. No blood, no nothing. Damn! So the Devil took over and made me an athiest.
[+] 1 user Likes Ameron1963's post
18-03-2013, 07:40 AM
Hi. New to this forum though have posted on others. I'm from the UK and a lifelong atheist.

Dillema I always have as an atheist is whether to "live and let live" or whether to fight against ignorance, delusion and "woo" with all my heart.

Regards

Grimesy
[+] 1 user Likes pgrimes15's post
19-03-2013, 06:53 AM
JeffB: I've been reading through some of the more recent introduction-posts, and it was good to see such a varied demographic within the forum membership. There is even a theist - sheesh! Daniel in the lions' den - good luck to them.
As I said in my own intro, I've been a non-believer for many, many years. I carried a good deal of ex-theist baggage in the early years, but the load became lighter as time progressed. Now I am very laid back about it; i have more interesting things to think about, discuss, do ... than religion. I would like to offer an insight from my own experience to those that have deconverted and still carry the theistic baggage: Relax, look forward not back. Being in a room where people are praying or signing hyms is not contagious. I celebrate Xmas, sing carols - I like the tradition and I like singing; it has not contaminated my person or my mind. There was a time I could not enter a church, but it is only a constuction of stone, bricks etc. My second marriage was by law a civil ceremony. My bride was an only daughter, and my father-in-law to be was so disappointed to not be able to walk his daughter down the aisle. So we organised a "Church Blessing" service after the civil ceremony. Ok, so we had to lie to the Vicar to get him to agree, and I feel no remorse for that.
My relaxed attitude towards those with religion co-exists alongside my acceptance of gays, people with different political views, skin colour (British spelling), different races. On a person by person basis, if they can tolerate me, I will tolerate them.
19-03-2013, 08:42 AM
(18-03-2013 07:40 AM)pgrimes15 Wrote:  Hi. New to this forum though have posted on others. I'm from the UK and a lifelong atheist.

Dillema I always have as an atheist is whether to "live and let live" or whether to fight against ignorance, delusion and "woo" with all my heart.

Regards

Grimesy

Well given that the woo mongers started it, I think us anti-woo hippies can end it. Yes we can. Yes Welcome to the forum.
19-03-2013, 09:17 AM
Hello. Smile I'm Sierra, I'm 22, and I am happily married. My husband and I are in the process of de-converting from Christianity. It has so far been eye opening, scary, and a huge relief. I've learned so much in the past month and I'm excited for what's to come. Both me and my husband feel liberated...I had no idea Christianity wasn't really "setting me free." Wink
19-03-2013, 09:22 AM
Welcome aboard.

Enjoy finding your new freedom.

Is your hubby going to join us here, too?

19-03-2013, 09:32 AM
(19-03-2013 09:22 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Welcome aboard.

Enjoy finding your new freedom.

Is your hubby going to join us here, too?
No, he doesn't feel as much of a need to find a community of nonbelievers as I do. Plus, he's not too good at the whole social networking thing. haha Smile

"Most people are other people.
Their thoughts are someone else's opinions,
their lives a mimicry,
their passions a quotation."
-Oscar Wilde
19-03-2013, 02:27 PM
(19-03-2013 09:17 AM)LadyWallFlower Wrote:  Hello. Smile I'm Sierra, I'm 22, and I am happily married. My husband and I are in the process of de-converting from Christianity. It has so far been eye opening, scary, and a huge relief. I've learned so much in the past month and I'm excited for what's to come. Both me and my husband feel liberated...I had no idea Christianity wasn't really "setting me free." Wink

So, wait, you and your husband lost faith together? Were you both, like, faithful churchgoers and suddenly you both one day felt like talking about why you believe what you do and it all just started unraveling? I mean, I don't want to know anything personal or anything, it is just kind of interesting if you both came from the same religious background and decided what is true together.

"There is a circle here that links us to one another: we each want to be happy; the social feeling of love is one of our greatest sources of happiness; and love entails that we be concerned for the happiness of others. We discover that we can be selfish together."
-Sam Harris
[+] 1 user Likes Chase's post
19-03-2013, 04:31 PM
Hi there ... Just a first post. Mostly for the benefit of the moderators so they can determine I'm not here to spam the forum... In the event I wish to post something relevant! Smile
I've never been a true believer, but played the game for years (decades?) as I was raised in a christian house by parents who are still devout believers. I've never hidden my lack of faith, but I also play along with them out of respect when I am wit them... I see no reason to antagonize my parents.
The catch is, that since they've discovered Facebook and such, they have gained access to my thoughts and opinions as I express them to the rest of the world. Smile ... So now they're "concerned"... They want to have a "conversation". I just fail to see where THAT particular conversation is going to contain any benefit for either party. Oh well.
[+] 1 user Likes IslandHopper's post
Thread Closed