Introduce Yourself HERE!
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 5 Average
19-03-2013, 07:24 PM
RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
(19-03-2013 02:27 PM)Chase Wrote:  
(19-03-2013 09:17 AM)LadyWallFlower Wrote:  Hello. Smile I'm Sierra, I'm 22, and I am happily married. My husband and I are in the process of de-converting from Christianity. It has so far been eye opening, scary, and a huge relief. I've learned so much in the past month and I'm excited for what's to come. Both me and my husband feel liberated...I had no idea Christianity wasn't really "setting me free." Wink

So, wait, you and your husband lost faith together? Were you both, like, faithful churchgoers and suddenly you both one day felt like talking about why you believe what you do and it all just started unraveling? I mean, I don't want to know anything personal or anything, it is just kind of interesting if you both came from the same religious background and decided what is true together.
I'm glad you asked, because I would actually love to talk about this. Lol

We've had a lot of questions about Christianity for a few years, but he would usually have more questions and doubts than me; I think he was more brave than me when it came to questioning Christianity. I would always try to hear him out and tell him to trust God and such. One day I watched the Bill Maher documentary "Religulous"... I didn't doubt the bible completely right after watching it, but that documentary sparked my curiosity and caused me to research the crap out of the bible and other religions. Over this time of research, I told my hubby about all my findings and we had a lot of deep conversations. It really only took a few weeks to realize we didn't have as much faith in Christianity as we thought. We still aren't sure exactly what we believe, but at least we're closer to knowing what we don't believe- right? I think he's still more confident than me in his beliefs, but I think I just need a bit more time to process this life change.

"Most people are other people.
Their thoughts are someone else's opinions,
their lives a mimicry,
their passions a quotation."
-Oscar Wilde
Find all posts by this user
19-03-2013, 07:36 PM
(19-03-2013 09:32 AM)LadyWallFlower Wrote:  ...
Plus, he's not too good at the whole social networking thing. haha Smile

Yes I know how he feels. Undecided

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
19-03-2013, 07:42 PM
(19-03-2013 04:31 PM)IslandHopper Wrote:  ...
They want to have a "conversation". I just fail to see where THAT particular conversation is going to contain any benefit for either party. Oh well.

Welcome aboard, IH.

Maybe the benefit will an agreement to amicably disagree?

Maybe it's best to avoid a conversion-conversation and make it a consensus-conversation instead?

Good luck.

20-03-2013, 12:18 AM
This is my first post. I am a fan of the show and I have been a free-thinker for a little over a year now.
20-03-2013, 07:34 AM
Hello All,

I have been an Atheist for 15 or so years and found this site a few months ago. I was a very devout christian at one time, and although I no longer believe,the subject still interests me. I'm 50 years old and currently live in Washinton state. In case anyone wondered about my username, I ride dirtbikes, sometimes beyond my skill level, which causes unscheduled nap times. Passion keeps you young I think. I wish my body understood that better. I look forward to joining in on some debates and hopefully learning a thing or two. Peace...
[+] 1 user Likes Dirtnapper324's post
20-03-2013, 09:28 AM

(20-03-2013 07:34 AM)Dirtnapper324 Wrote:  Hello All,

I have been an Atheist for 15 or so years and found this site a few months ago. I was a very devout christian at one time, and although I no longer believe,the subject still interests me. I'm 50 years old and currently live in Washinton state. In case anyone wondered about my username, I ride dirtbikes, sometimes beyond my skill level, which causes unscheduled nap times. Passion keeps you young I think. I wish my body understood that better. I look forward to joining in on some debates and hopefully learning a thing or two. Peace...

Welcome to the forum! Trust me the debates will definately teach you a lesson.
20-03-2013, 02:20 PM
I am a atheist from Norway (duh). I have never believed in any god or
gods, my parents never talked about it, although my dad hates it with a
passion. I on the other hand have learned to tolerate religion, and I
have several christian friends and even a muslim in my circuts. I find
religion outdated, brutal and somewhat funny. My view is so, I might
speak shit about your religion, but do not speak shit about you, so you
might understand generalizing members of a religion is something I call a
bit ignorant, but we all do it sometimes, and it is forgiveable. More
about me, I still attend school and work when I can. Otherwise,
videogames, internet and drumming is what I do. Music vise; I'm a
die-hard Slayer fan, and I also love Megadeth, as well as the rest of
the big four and it's spawns. So, I guess that's it.

[Image: 20cad83ad8d757191e2878b0f4bf05a9.png]
"Don't answer that. A rhetorical question."
20-03-2013, 04:47 PM
This will be short, as I wrote up a nice long post...then lost it in what seems to be a forum issue! I'll make a post in the relevant subforum later.

Anyway, listened to the show for a month or two and almost finished with Deconverted. I've been a lifelong freethinker, raised by freethinking parents who wanted to let me figure out religion for myself, if I cared at all. Up until recently, I didn't care too much, but thanks to my general interest in skepticism and related issues, I examined the God question and religion and went from 'don't care' to 'atheist'. I don't really consider myself an activist for it, as there's other issues I'd rather devote my time to, but I have wanted an atheist community for a while, and especially now since I'm dealing directly with a religion-related problem in my life.

Other than atheism, freethinking and skepticism, I'm also big into heavy metal, kaiju movies, nature and nature art, birdwatching and video games.

So hi!
20-03-2013, 05:35 PM
Hey everybody,
Just wanted to send out a quick introductory note. I've been an atheist for maybe two or three years now. I was brought up Catholic but gave that up somewhere along the line, although I couldn't tell you exactly when that happened. I found the skeptical community about three or four years ago, and learning to think more skeptically is really what led me to athiesm, even though I'd been agnostic for most of my adult life (I'm 30 now).
Anyway, looking forward to some interesting conversation on the forums.
20-03-2013, 06:29 PM
I am a Canadian living in Bangladesh. I listen to the podcasts every week.
Thread Closed