Introduce Yourself HERE!

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Votes - 5 Average
23-03-2013, 11:00 AM
RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
(23-03-2013 10:37 AM)fruit Wrote:  Lol. Language is a funny thing. I love it.
Pretty much preaching to the choir here Tongue

In the words of the great Stephen Fry: "Language is my mother, my father, my husband, my brother, my sister, my whore, my mistress, my check-out girl... language is a complimentary moist lemon-scented cleansing square or handy freshen-up wipette. Language is the breath of God. Language is the dew on a fresh apple, it's the soft rain of dust that falls into a shaft of morning light as you pluck from a old bookshelf a half-forgotten book of erotic memoirs. Language is the creak on a stair, it's a spluttering match held to a frosted pane, it's a half-remembered childhood birthday party..."

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-03-2013, 11:05 AM
Re: RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
(23-03-2013 11:00 AM)Vera Wrote:  
(23-03-2013 10:37 AM)fruit Wrote:  Lol. Language is a funny thing. I love it.
Pretty much preaching to the choir here :P

In the words of the great Stephen Fry: "Language is my mother, my father, my husband, my brother, my sister, my whore, my mistress, my check-out girl... language is a complimentary moist lemon-scented cleansing square or handy freshen-up wipette. Language is the breath of God. Language is the dew on a fresh apple, it's the soft rain of dust that falls into a shaft of morning light as you pluck from a old bookshelf a half-forgotten book of erotic memoirs. Language is the creak on a stair, it's a spluttering match held to a frosted pane, it's a half-remembered childhood birthday party..."

That's a fantastic quote. Good old Stephen Fry. I've actually had a debate about language with a Theist. It was highly interesting. Not in a bad way either.
23-03-2013, 11:16 AM
(23-03-2013 11:05 AM)fruit Wrote:  I've actually had a debate about language with a Theist.
About what? (That is, if you care to share Smile)

(And yeah, not enough chaps like Stephen Fry in this world...)

23-03-2013, 11:32 AM
Re: Introduce Yourself HERE!
Well, I really don't think that words are bad. We just give them meanings. I was discussing how I don't have qualms cussing in front of children (unless the parents ask me not to. I totally respect that). I would just explain to them that other people do and to watch it around them basically.

it came down to right and wrong and society. If we didn't have societal rules, we couldn't function. I said I believed its just a series if lines made up by us. Hell, dude isn't even used correctly anymore.

Also, societal rules change. Used to people wouldn't say damn. Women weren't allowed in bars because were somehow too fragile.
23-03-2013, 11:47 AM
(23-03-2013 11:32 AM)fruit Wrote:  Well, I really don't think that words are bad. We just give them meanings. I was discussing how I don't have qualms cussing in front of children (unless the parents ask me not to. I totally respect that). I would just explain to them that other people do and to watch it around them basically.

it came down to right and wrong and society. If we didn't have societal rules, we couldn't function. I said I believed its just a series if lines made up by us. Hell, dude isn't even used correctly anymore.

Also, societal rules change. Used to people wouldn't say damn. Women weren't allowed in bars because were somehow too fragile.
Ah, not a linguistic discussion ( Laughat ) per se, then. I was mildly curious if theists had some weird ideas about language, too (other than cursing, that is). But accepting that we, and not some superior power, makes all the rules, ain't easy for some...

The first one is so poignantly and sadly true. Violence is still less censurable than anything even remotely sexual.

23-03-2013, 12:15 PM
Re: RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
(23-03-2013 11:47 AM)Vera Wrote:  
(23-03-2013 11:32 AM)fruit Wrote:  Well, I really don't think that words are bad. We just give them meanings. I was discussing how I don't have qualms cussing in front of children (unless the parents ask me not to. I totally respect that). I would just explain to them that other people do and to watch it around them basically.

Ah, not a linguistic discussion ( :laughat: ) per se, then. I was mildly curious if theists had some weird ideas about language, too (other than cursing, that is). But accepting that we, and not some superior power, makes all the rules, ain't easy for some...

The first one is so poignantly and sadly true. Violence is still less censurable than anything even remotely sexual.

No, but still. It was interesting. Cussing is part if my life. I don't realize I do it. And those videos sum up my views. Lol. Why is violence so ok? "I was a shocked to see that pillow there."
23-03-2013, 12:34 PM
(23-03-2013 12:15 PM)fruit Wrote:  No, but still. It was interesting. Cussing is part if my life. I don't realize I do it. And those videos sum up my views. Lol. Why is violence so ok? "I was a shocked to see that pillow there."
Yep, words are not the problem. Actually, I have a much bigger problem with stupid euphemisms (esp. the ridiculous sexual ones I have to translate), usually find them way more insulting and disgusting than calling a spade a spade. I guess truth is just scary as shit for some (ergo - we are saddled with religion to this day Tongue )

23-03-2013, 03:04 PM
Re: Introduce Yourself HERE!
I've never understood and never will. Ah, well. Their loss.
24-03-2013, 08:44 PM (This post was last modified: 04-04-2013 06:03 PM by Doctor X.)

Those who administer and moderate in order to exercise personal agenda merely feed into the negative stereotype of Atheism
[+] 3 users Like Doctor X's post
24-03-2013, 09:54 PM
I'm a mid-40's man that learned of the community just recently. I stopped going to church about 30 years ago when I decided there wasn't any reality in what they were trying to do.

Time travel means never having to say you will have been going to be sorry.
[+] 1 user Likes Telempath's post