Introduce Yourself HERE!
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 5 Average
03-04-2011, 08:44 PM
RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
I'm new here myself, so I hope replying to a posting in this forum is alright, but I wanted to say that your post helped me to feel that I've landed in the right place. I especially relate to calling oneself a
Quote:agnostic/Buddist
as I did just that for about 3 years, up until a year ago.

I was also glad to see your appreciation for Phillip Pullman's work:
Quote:Some others I am a huge fan of are Christopher Hitchens and Philip Pullman (His Dark Materials rules!!!).
I discovered his work quite some time ago and was gratified to see it cataloged in the youth and children's sections of my library, while the ideas explored I found interestingly put and engaging for an adult of my years as well.

Just want to say thanks for posting and glad to have you on this forum, people like you will encourage me to be a more regular poster myself.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." Groucho Marx
Find all posts by this user
05-04-2011, 12:01 PM

(30-03-2011 06:43 PM)Reason Being Wrote:  I have a comment I specifically wanted to make about something discussed in the recent "Can atheists and believers have successful love relationships?" episode of the podcast, but after skimming the forum a bit, I am still not sure where in the forums episode discussion is generally done (or if it is done at all, here). If I missed it, I apologize. Can someone point me in the right direction? Or if there is no designated place for doing so, I guess I could just start a thread about it in the Atheism/Theism or Coffeehouse sections...?

I went ahead and just posted my comment on the podcast site itself, under that episode. Seemed like the most appropriate place.
05-04-2011, 03:11 PM

Hello everyone. Prodigal here. New to this but excited about the possibilities. More later, but glad to be here with other free thinkers.
05-04-2011, 06:47 PM

Hello,

I currently reside in Metairie, Louisiana. I am happily married to a catholic woman and we have two children. I am an agnostic atheist and we cohabitate without any problems. We love each other for who we are rather than what we both believe in.

My current dilemna is my youngest son is going to whatever the catholics call their religious class. I can pronounce it but not spell it. I call it his "myth" class. His first communion is up and coming and I cannot bring myself to attend the ceremony. I'm singled out in my family as the outsider that's obviously hellbound. I simply don't believe that crap. Now I've got to sit back and wait for all the crap and headaches from the rest of my family after I don't show up in church for his first "taste" of the toast.

Jeremy

Metairie, LA
05-04-2011, 06:47 PM

Hello,

I currently reside in Metairie, Louisiana. I am happily married to a catholic woman and we have two children. I am an agnostic atheist and we cohabitate without any problems. We love each other for who we are rather than what we both believe in.

My current dilemna is my youngest son is going to whatever the catholics call their religious class. I can pronounce it but not spell it. I call it his "myth" class. His first communion is up and coming and I cannot bring myself to attend the ceremony. I'm singled out in my family as the outsider that's obviously hellbound. I simply don't believe that crap. Now I've got to sit back and wait for all the crap and headaches from the rest of my family after I don't show up in church for his first "taste" of the toast.

Jeremy

Metairie, LA
07-04-2011, 01:19 PM

Hi ya'll.

I am an enlightened former believer and have only been openly atheist with my Southern Baptist family for a few months now and figured this would be a good forum for some atheist support and intelligent conversation.

I'm 26 and live in Atlanta, GA (and love it here). Agree with ya'll who commented on the brilliance of Phillip Pullman; I'm a huge fan.

I'm a sports nut, love my dog, read constantly, run obsessively, adore NPR, and take any reason to play outside.

Losing religion was honestly one of the greatest things that has ever happened to me. I look forward to some entertaining conversations here.

-Melissa
09-04-2011, 04:09 PM

Hi there everyone, yet another atheist checking in and I love your work but also the work of many many other atheists here and on youtube.

My parents are Christians from origin but they made one (in my eyes) beautiful decision. I have to thank them for that soon now that I finally realize what opportunity they presented me with. They did not babtise me, they did not send me to Sunday school or church, and they did not teach me any religion. Their reasoning behind this was: When you are old enough to understand what you are embarking into, you should decide for yourself. Those are their exact words.

I cannot stress how important that decision was, because I now enjoy the luxury of an unbiased view on all the religions of the world and search I did, very very hard, and found I have: there (probably) is no god, I studied the religious texts, I watched many different points of view of other people. I even invited two Johova's witnesses to come and talk to me. And so we did for many hours. I let them do all the talking only asking questions when confused in what they were saying and I have to say they are nice, understanding and very patient and presented a (at that time) compelling argument for the one true god. It was a pleasant conversation.

I followed out and started to examine, and study the holy texts, starting with the more popular Bible and Qu'ran and I could only come to one single conclusion for myself: Power and control, and that is it. It is constructed beautifully for one sole reason, to acquire power and control over masses. And it worked because the knowledge and education back in those times where low, and even much much lower in the general populous. And I even understand that it would only take one person to seize that power and execute that control. The fear of the unknown, the fear that will transform millions of people into mindless zombies. For me, an unbiased viewer it has no moral and let's hope they got it wrong because god is a monster, the pure definition of absolute evil. The morality is so low that I cannot bare the thought that I should present this to my future children. But I also found out that many religious people are kept in line with this text (control) and if that works for them, then I shall let them in peace as long as that does not compromise the security of the helpless (infants, children, jihad, holy wars).

Peace.

(woops I dont know how I missed this thread so I reposted here, feel free to kill my other thread).
[+] 1 user Likes CrashPilot's post
10-04-2011, 06:44 AM
Woau. Great non-religious life. And a nice text, this could be used to explain some of the views if I ever start writing a book about "Why not to believe"... And I believe that every parent should do as your parents did, leave the kids alone, let them grow up and then let them teach about religion, when they understand what it actually is. Everything else is brain-washing, or indoctrination.

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
Find all posts by this user
10-04-2011, 07:18 AM

I'm a new father, C130 Hercules Loadmaster, freethinker ! and Strong ATHEIST !
10-04-2011, 10:52 AM

Man, your username got me so excited. I thought you meant, A theist. I was ecstatic thinking a theist finally came on to debate.

Damn you to the depths of scientific hell. DAMN. YOU.

Edit: Oh and congrats on being a new father.
Thread Closed