Introduce Yourself HERE!
Thread Closed 
Thread Rating:
  • 5 Votes - 5 Average
25-03-2013, 01:07 AM
Hi everyone
Hi everyone my name is Michael and I'm a restaurant owner and operator and an atheist. I live in Tennessee here in the good ole bible belt. My views aren't received well around here and I was just looking for a place to discuss the sheer ignorance of believers...
Find all posts by this user
25-03-2013, 07:27 AM
RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
Well I guess a comment could be appropriate. I am a 40 years old swede with three children, passionately interested in science and engineering (which also is my livelihood). Being A swede means that I never experienced any adverse effects from being an atheist (after all that's the norm, and yes that goes for my children as well), but as I have seen that this is not the case in many other places of this world, and as I am also interested in social sciences, I have started to actively seek out both this place (which I would say provide a much needed and important service to the world) but also places like the christian post (or as I'd like to call it planet wing-nuttia) where I try to be a moderate atheist voice in their message boards (just for the fun of it, debating with like minded can become boring after a while).

Have a happy life! Live it well and full!
[+] 1 user Likes fmanh2's post
25-03-2013, 12:43 PM
I too am a 40 year old Dad of two living in North Texas. Yeehaw!

I guess I have been atheist all my life but it never was made clear in my own head until the birth of my kids. I began to question religion out loud to my wife and was told there's no debate when it comes to how my kids will be raised. So for 11 years, I've sat quietly as she and my kids have attended a mega church down the street. I silently protest by staying in my home studio and painting during this time. But it sucks. Hate when we split up.

We have co-existed successfully by just not really discussing religion.

However, as my kids near their teen years, they are starting to ask where my allegiance lies. My dance around the subject is getting old. My wife is really the greatest mother to my kids and I love and respect her so much. However, I feel really alienated and just wish I could find some common ground on this one, really annoying topic.

So I'm here to gain advice, wisdom and patience as I'm worried the big church's brainwashing will eventually cause some serious harm with me and my dear family!

I hope to find the words here to use in a discussion I want to have eventually...about how to continue to raise our kids with respect and love for all people, all things. But they've already been told Obama's a Muslim, so I have a big hill to climb!

Thanks in advance.
[+] 2 users Like hami409's post
25-03-2013, 06:59 PM
Hey all! My name is Heather, hence the screen name. Lol. I'm a 27 year old single mom to a special needs child. I live in Missouri with my parents for the time-being. Smile
[+] 1 user Likes Heather's post
25-03-2013, 07:44 PM
Newly "out of the closet" (at least to some) atheist. Randomly found "The Thinking Atheist" podcast, and have been listening to past episodes 'religiously'. Figured I would check out this forum since I loved the viewpoints of Seth and 90% of the people that called in.

Plan on posting my "Coming Out Story" sometime soon, since I also need some advice in the area!

Praying is like a rocking chair -- it'll give you something to do, but won't get you anywhere.
25-03-2013, 07:56 PM
Name is Alex. I am a 23 year old elementary music teacher in Wisconsin who is in the process of "coming out" as an atheist. Randomly found "The Thinking Atheist" podcast a few weeks ago, and have been listening to all of the old podcasts 'religiously'.

Coming out to my girlfriend was not a huge issue, but telling my parents will be much more complicated. Hoping to post my story/questions in the next few days.

Praying is like a rocking chair -- it'll give you something to do, but won't get you anywhere.
25-03-2013, 08:56 PM
Brief Introduction! Philippe Gubbay Fractal Dimension!
Im Philippe Gubbay! I am new to this community site, hope to get new information and learn something new in this forum!

Best Regards,
Phillippe Gubbay
Fractal Dimension
26-03-2013, 02:19 PM

I'm over here from A Christian and an Atheist. A new member introduced himself there as Brother Edward, so I decided to have a look at his webpage, which led me here.

I'm an atheist for the very simple reason that I'm convinced that gods and all the stuff that go along with them are human inventions. It amazes me that in the year 2013 there are people who believe in al the rococo flapdoodle that is religion in general and Christianity in particular. I have to admit that I don't understand it.

So hi, people. I'll be around; I look forward to getting to know you.
26-03-2013, 05:06 PM
Greetings all:
I'm a relatively recent atheist, who was immersed in religion for most of my life. Always questioning has brought me here, thankfully. I'm 57 and married to one who enjoys her religion still. So, still a little touchy at our house. I would like to pose a question and invite commentary. If it is pretty much a given that religion evolved from a time when mankind did not understand his environment, why does one bother to expose falsehoods in any religion? If religion is an invention, why give it credibility by investigating and making the case for its fraudulence? Why not simply make the case that religion was invented and has outgrown its usefulness with the accumulation of scientific knowledge?
Thanx for any input!
26-03-2013, 09:10 PM (This post was last modified: 26-03-2013 09:16 PM by HU.Junyuan.)
Greetings, folks on board,

I am a 30-year-old translator from mainland China. My surname is HU and my given name is Junyuan which means the mountains being steep and the rivers running from afar.

I was a biology student, trained in fields ranging from genetic engineering to macroscopic ecology. I studied in Seattle and had deep contact with a branch of Christianity. My primordial view of the world got shattered, yet reasoning stubbornly kept me away from getting religious. After some painful periods of my life and constant questioning and reasoning, I became atheist again.

I sought. And yes, now I have found.

Want something? Then do something.
[+] 1 user Likes HU.Junyuan's post
Thread Closed