Introduce Yourself HERE!

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Votes - 5 Average
27-03-2013, 07:42 AM
RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
I suppose my introduction post won't be much different from anyone else.

I'm just your average American adult male, in my late 20s, who was raised in the Lutheran church. I was never an enthusiastic believer (even though I did try at times). Going to church more or less bored me, and I found it easy to doubt.

My slow decline in faith is very similar to a lot of callers who called into the Thinking Atheist Posdcat episode where Seth talks about his own deconversion. I started questioning the authenticity of the bible, its many inconsistencies and the inconsistent practice among believers, primarily those who are Christian.

I have not full out declared myself an atheist. I feel I lean towards it. I'm still in the mode where I'm still not sure. The other hurdle is coming out and having to face my wife (who is well aware of my struggles with this at the moment, but seems to believe I will eventually come back), as well as by parents - all of whom are believers.

I look forward to reading these forums, and exploring this fine subject further.

Thank you.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes JokerFace's post
27-03-2013, 10:52 AM
I'm a 22 year old female, just about to graduate from college with my Bachelor's degree. I came from a family that was more or less non-denominational Baptist (we attended Calvary Chapel about twice a month when I was under 10). I was an avid believer, mostly because I felt so compelled by the notion of God's compassion. Interestingly, it was this compassion which I valued and tried to emulate myself which helped to bring me out of the faith.

When my family moved states, I found myself friendless in a place which was culturally very different than the one I had left. Where I had previously been disinterested and even discouraged by reading and books, I suddenly found friends within the pages of Harry Potter, and began reading those books voraciously. I would bury myself in books for weeks on end, in the room of my then deceased grandmother, whom I remember fondly for telling me stories and understanding me better than anyone else I knew. I grew up with Harry Potter, and that brand of black-and-white morality until I ran out of their books, after which I began reading other books. I am amassed a small library, and among those were the Left Behind For Kids series.

Suddenly my worldview shifted. The end was near and I had to offer the message to as many people as I could so the horrors visited upon the souls in the Rapture and the Tribulations would not be visited upon them. I also wished to remain on Earth during the Tribulations to assist any would-be believers in their conversion, such was my intense desire to help.

Then I got to thinking when I was in my second year of high school. Some people, of necessity would die, never having heard the word of God. Some of these people could even theoretically innocent of any sin they had committed in life. Yet anyone who did not accept Jesus into their heart would suffer eternal damnation, the fires of hell for much longer than it would take to go insane. My faith in the faith broke the day I figured that out. According to what I was taught, the god of the Bible would eternally punish people for a crime they didn't commit. To me, then, I would rather spend eternity in hell with innocent people there solely for an accident of geography, than eternity in heaven with a god which would allow that.

I became an anti-theist before I became an agnostic and then an atheist. Any god who could do something that disgusting and repulsive could go pound sand in my book, and while I still believed in him, I wasn't afraid of the punishment that awaited me. In a way I was too naive to believe. First, because I had such a black and white morality back then, I couldn't rationalize the punishment of a vanishing number of innocent people. Second, because I had such a surface understanding of the mechanisms for accepting Jesus into your heart.

I have heard apologists weave around the issue and explain that everyone got a chance somehow, and if I hadn't raised these issues and come to these conclusions so early in my life and on my own, then I could certainly see myself still believing now. It might have taken until my 30's or 40's until I deconverted, or it might not have happened at all.

As of now, I happily don't believe in any gods, and feel that the universe is well-enough explained without it. I express my certainty in any given thing as "barring the Matrix or a Trickster God" and I pealed the Jesus Fish off my first car because we bought it used and the former owners were Christian. The gunk is still there, but somehow I feel that the remnants of said fish better express my sentiments towards the faith than a Darwin Fish or a FSM decal. I no longer believe that God is evil, and being an Anthropology major just about to receive my Bachelor's, I have come to an understanding of religion that takes into account the evolutionary reasoning behind it and the good it can do culturally.

I like listening to debates in general, and Atheists and Theists debating in particular because they are challenging to understand and mostly quite enlightening. The debate format helps me better understand both sides and see where they're coming from, something I have learned to value over the course of my studies.

If I were to have my dream job, it would be working for the National Center for Science Education, producing accessible materials to promote science in general, and evolution in particular, because evolution in general is fascinating and human evolution in particular is awe-inspiring.

Because of my background, I often have a wealth of trivial information, and I look forward to commenting to provide some of it on these forums. :D
[+] 5 users Like marquessbrie's post
27-03-2013, 11:03 AM
(27-03-2013 10:52 AM)marquessbrie Wrote:  I'm a 22 year old female, just about to graduate from college with my Bachelor's degree. I came from a family that was more or less non-denominational Baptist (we attended Calvary Chapel about twice a month when I was under 10). I was an avid believer, mostly because I felt so compelled by the notion of God's compassion. Interestingly, it was this compassion which I valued and tried to emulate myself which helped to bring me out of the faith.

When my family moved states, I found myself friendless in a place which was culturally very different than the one I had left. Where I had previously been disinterested and even discouraged by reading and books, I suddenly found friends within the pages of Harry Potter, and began reading those books voraciously. I would bury myself in books for weeks on end, in the room of my then deceased grandmother, whom I remember fondly for telling me stories and understanding me better than anyone else I knew. I grew up with Harry Potter, and that brand of black-and-white morality until I ran out of their books, after which I began reading other books. I am amassed a small library, and among those were the Left Behind For Kids series.

Suddenly my worldview shifted. The end was near and I had to offer the message to as many people as I could so the horrors visited upon the souls in the Rapture and the Tribulations would not be visited upon them. I also wished to remain on Earth during the Tribulations to assist any would-be believers in their conversion, such was my intense desire to help.

Then I got to thinking when I was in my second year of high school. Some people, of necessity would die, never having heard the word of God. Some of these people could even theoretically innocent of any sin they had committed in life. Yet anyone who did not accept Jesus into their heart would suffer eternal damnation, the fires of hell for much longer than it would take to go insane. My faith in the faith broke the day I figured that out. According to what I was taught, the god of the Bible would eternally punish people for a crime they didn't commit. To me, then, I would rather spend eternity in hell with innocent people there solely for an accident of geography, than eternity in heaven with a god which would allow that.

I became an anti-theist before I became an agnostic and then an atheist. Any god who could do something that disgusting and repulsive could go pound sand in my book, and while I still believed in him, I wasn't afraid of the punishment that awaited me. In a way I was too naive to believe. First, because I had such a black and white morality back then, I couldn't rationalize the punishment of a vanishing number of innocent people. Second, because I had such a surface understanding of the mechanisms for accepting Jesus into your heart.

I have heard apologists weave around the issue and explain that everyone got a chance somehow, and if I hadn't raised these issues and come to these conclusions so early in my life and on my own, then I could certainly see myself still believing now. It might have taken until my 30's or 40's until I deconverted, or it might not have happened at all.

As of now, I happily don't believe in any gods, and feel that the universe is well-enough explained without it. I express my certainty in any given thing as "barring the Matrix or a Trickster God" and I pealed the Jesus Fish off my first car because we bought it used and the former owners were Christian. The gunk is still there, but somehow I feel that the remnants of said fish better express my sentiments towards the faith than a Darwin Fish or a FSM decal. I no longer believe that God is evil, and being an Anthropology major just about to receive my Bachelor's, I have come to an understanding of religion that takes into account the evolutionary reasoning behind it and the good it can do culturally.

I like listening to debates in general, and Atheists and Theists debating in particular because they are challenging to understand and mostly quite enlightening. The debate format helps me better understand both sides and see where they're coming from, something I have learned to value over the course of my studies.

If I were to have my dream job, it would be working for the National Center for Science Education, producing accessible materials to promote science in general, and evolution in particular, because evolution in general is fascinating and human evolution in particular is awe-inspiring.

Because of my background, I often have a wealth of trivial information, and I look forward to commenting to provide some of it on these forums. Big Grin

Welcome.
I urge you to pursue that dream job.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
27-03-2013, 01:22 PM
(27-03-2013 11:03 AM)Chas Wrote:  Welcome.
I urge you to pursue that dream job.

I dream that you pursue urge to job. Welcome Smile
27-03-2013, 04:21 PM
Hello, my name is Emanuele and I'm from Italy.
I'm 16 and I became an atheist when I was 14.
The first step was done when I thought that all religions were true in the country they were born.
Now I know that God is a humans' mind product, a part of their Ego.
But when someone asks me what I think about death, I answer it is a big mystery, but the logical brings me to think that if no soul exists, we are only the product of a brain and after death, if a new brain is born, a new coscience is born too.
That coscience makes us live after the death.
I think this. If the sould didn't exist, everyway there would be an afterdeath.
But there are so many answer I don't have, so I can't say anything more...I'm losing my mind on this, maybe I will arrive at a conclusion.
Now I'm a new member of this big family, I hope my thoughts will be understood.

Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes Uroboros's post
27-03-2013, 04:29 PM
(27-03-2013 04:21 PM)Uroboros Wrote:  Hello, my name is Emanuele and I'm from Italy.
I'm 16 and I became an atheist when I was 14.
The first step was done when I thought that all religions were true in the country they were born.
Now I know that God is a humans' mind product, a part of their Ego.
But when someone asks me what I think about death, I answer it is a big mystery, but the logical brings me to think that if no soul exists, we are only the product of a brain and after death, if a new brain is born, a new coscience is born too.
That coscience makes us live after the death.
I think this. If the sould didn't exist, everyway there would be an afterdeath.
But there are so many answer I don't have, so I can't say anything more...I'm losing my mind on this, maybe I will arrive at a conclusion.
Now I'm a new member of this big family, I hope my thoughts will be understood.

Big Grin

Welcome.

I believe I understood you quite well.Thumbsup

[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
27-03-2013, 09:30 PM
I am a social worker from Maine...yeah, its cold. I am 29 and have an awesome family.

I am excited to join the fun
28-03-2013, 06:06 AM
(27-03-2013 09:30 PM)naturebox83 Wrote:  I am a social worker from Maine...yeah, its cold. I am 29 and have an awesome family.

I am excited to join the fun

Welcome to our mad little corner of the interwebz.Smile

28-03-2013, 12:54 PM
That was a little bit of a stuck up reply to me, Chas. Why don't YOU go learn instead of telling me to?! BYE.

~Would prefer that fewer humans type or speak down.~
~One only takes it for a while.~
28-03-2013, 01:09 PM
(28-03-2013 12:54 PM)Lienda Bella Wrote:  That was a little bit of a stuck up reply to me, Chas. Why don't YOU go learn instead of telling me to?! BYE.

What reply?Consider

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
Shocked I am just going to introduce myself and start things off light. Dru Denizen 17 570 13-01-2014 04:05 AM
Last Post: Dee
  Introduce Myself Nevillean 1 213 23-06-2013 07:56 AM
Last Post: morondog
  [split] Introduce Yourself HERE! Thinking Mom's Letter thinkingmom 8 601 10-06-2013 01:53 PM
Last Post: viocjit
  Derailed :D[split] Introduce Yourself HERE! hylonome 81 3,901 27-08-2012 12:14 AM
Last Post: Atothetheist
  Please allow me to introduce myself Caveman 12 724 29-03-2012 07:22 AM
Last Post: kingschosen
  Can I Introduce Myself Video3tech 24 1,730 27-03-2012 11:36 PM
Last Post: aurora
Big Grin Hello everyone! I'd like to introduce myself! justacityboy 24 2,612 26-05-2010 07:12 PM
Last Post: Unbeliever