Introduce Yourself HERE!

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Votes - 5 Average
28-03-2013, 03:14 PM (This post was last modified: 28-03-2013 03:24 PM by Lienda Bella.)
RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
All one has to do is scroll back and see. Oh, but don't let this comment ruin the fun there. Not that I get what I did to you.

Crickets
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-03-2013, 03:21 PM
(28-03-2013 03:14 PM)Lienda Bella Wrote:  All one has to do is scroll back and see it. Act like I'm that dumb for the third time now. Go ahead.

Well, I haven't called you dumb. But I will say you've certainly got an attitude.

I honestly don't know what you're talking about.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
28-03-2013, 03:31 PM
I'm a 26 year old American male. Rather handsome if I do say so myself. I just signed up on thethinkingatheist.com site today. Though, I've listened to the podcast since the beginning. I'm a fan of Seth and all the work he has done, and upon finishing this intro I will make my first donation (keep up the good work Seth Thumbsup ). I'm a big fan of Superman, Star Wars/Trek, astrophysics, cosmology, and (of course) Stephen Hawking. I was raised in a Christian home, and have been clean for 12 years. All my best to the fellow atheists out there. I know it can be hard sometimes, but its all worth to live a free-thinking life.
28-03-2013, 04:59 PM
Hi All!

My name's Justine, from Tampa, FL. 28yrs old, married 8 years, one cat, no kids but trying...Yes

I found TTA on iTunes podcast list while I was bored at work and looking for something to listen to; found it super informative, it really got my brain working and got me thinking (smell the smoke?)

Look forward to reading and learning a lot...happy posting!
28-03-2013, 08:07 PM
Hi, I am from the same town as the Thinking Atheist! Lucky ME!

I am 65 years old...and have been an atheist for the last 45 years. Before that I was an active church member, attended Youth for Christ meetings and all that. But then, then I started THINKING. haha

I do have a question, on the 100th episode, Seth quoted a letter that he likes to send to people who pester him into going to church with them. He said it was sort of a form letter. Does anyone know if he has it on the website, so that I could copy it?

Thanks,

Ronn55
28-03-2013, 08:25 PM
(28-03-2013 08:07 PM)Ronn55 Wrote:  Hi, I am from the same town as the Thinking Atheist! Lucky ME!

I am 65 years old...and have been an atheist for the last 45 years. Before that I was an active church member, attended Youth for Christ meetings and all that. But then, then I started THINKING. haha

I do have a question, on the 100th episode, Seth quoted a letter that he likes to send to people who pester him into going to church with them. He said it was sort of a form letter. Does anyone know if he has it on the website, so that I could copy it?

Thanks,

Ronn55

Here ya go: http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/blog/5...ian-Mother

It's pretty awesome that you came from the same town man. I do hope you stay and contribute to the vast array of discussions around here.

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
28-03-2013, 08:26 PM
(28-03-2013 04:59 PM)**Justine** Wrote:  Hi All!

My name's Justine, from Tampa, FL. 28yrs old, married 8 years, one cat, no kids but trying...Yes

I found TTA on iTunes podcast list while I was bored at work and looking for something to listen to; found it super informative, it really got my brain working and got me thinking (smell the smoke?)

Look forward to reading and learning a lot...happy posting!

Welcome.

If at first you don't succeed, try, try again.Thumbsup

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
29-03-2013, 06:32 AM
Hello. My name is Rám. I have been an Atheist for nearly 7 years now. I went back and fourth for a few years before making my decision final. I live in a small town in East Texas and it is difficult to find fellow atheists or even Agnostics. Creationism is vey big here. They call it the "Bible Belt." Anyway, I want to be more educated about Atheism and just share ideas with people who think like me.
29-03-2013, 10:32 AM
(28-03-2013 08:25 PM)Atothetheist Wrote:  
(28-03-2013 08:07 PM)Ronn55 Wrote:  Hi, I am from the same town as the Thinking Atheist! Lucky ME!

Thanks,

Ronn55

Here ya go: http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/blog/5...ian-Mother

It's pretty awesome that you came from the same town man. I do hope you stay and contribute to the vast array of discussions around here.

Thanks so much for the link!
And the hearty welcome.

Ron
29-03-2013, 10:33 AM (This post was last modified: 29-03-2013 10:37 AM by matthewwest.)
Hi, I could just jump into the forum and start commenting, but I should probably introduce myself. I was raised in a secular family. I now appreciate it a lot more now that I've seen the burdens imposed on kids growing up in conservative religions, but I admittedly probably could have done with some more structure. Even without a lot of religious education, I always felt the presence of a higiher power, something I now accept as the tricknology of evolution, stronger in some of us than others. Ironically, it took the ridiculous, repressive, anti intellectual dogmas of fundamentalist Xtianity to drive any sense of God far away.

But I get ahead of myself... I converted to fundamentalism after a rough patch in college, and dove in immediately. The doubts began to come not long after, but I assumed it was the devil and/ or my sinful nature. The more entrenched I became socially, the more doubts I had. In retrospect, I was probably a hard core agnostic 10 years ago, but still terrified of hell, and determined to keep my doubts to myself as I raised my kids in the faith, which i still believed had to be right even though I could no longer feel it.

Then my daughter came out as atheist, expressing the doubts I had had for so long. I read the same apologetics i had given up on so long ago, in an effort to find answers for her. Answers she promptly shot down. In short, she put the final touches on my own deconversion. Not that I can afford to admit it to her, mind you. As I said, I'm very much entrenched and in the closet about it, and see no way out. That is all for now.

EDIT: I notice most atheists were raised religious and drpped it in their teens or young adulthood. Any others here who "found God" in young adulthood and lost him later? I often feel like an idiot when I see these kids who have it all figured out, while I swallowed the hype long after I should have known better.