Introduce Yourself HERE!

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Votes - 5 Average
07-04-2013, 11:19 PM
RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
Hey everyone!.. my name is Jason, and I drive tractors and bobcats in Southern CA. I have been a skeptic for a long time, but I have only recently come out as a full athiest within the past year or so. I have always felt the need to seek some sort of spiritual answer to the problems with my life, but since I have accepted reality, and stopped looking for convoluted solutions to simple problems.. I feel like I can stop wasting so much time looking for other people's "answers" and start letting the evidence be my guide.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-04-2013, 11:39 AM
I'm Michael, A 15 year old from the UK, hoping to one day become either a politician or a physicist.
[+] 1 user Likes tear151's post
08-04-2013, 12:48 PM
Greetings, all
Hey everybody,

I'm brand new to the site, and delighted to be here. I'm a 44 y/o finance guy who was raised a Southern Baptist. Somehow I had the fortitude to resist the avalanche of bullshit I heard on Sundays as a child, and remained christian-ish but essentially "non-practicing" throughout my 20s/30s/40s (despite the efforts of a very "faithful" family). Around Xmas time 2012 I was fooling around with my new iPhone and trying to figure out what the heck a "podcast" was (lame, right?). One of the first podcasts I stumbled across, completely out of curiousity (what is this "atheism" thing, anyway?) was Seth's. And UNHOLY CRAP, what an eye opener! I credit Seth and TTA for helping me figure out the whole reality versus nonsense thing at long last - for giving a name to the doubts and misgivings I have had for decades. Seth's podcasts and my subsequent exploration of atheism/secularism/skepticism have been nothing short of a personal epiphany.

I haven't decided how to best plug into the atheist community and contribute, but I figure this is a start. Looking forward to chatting, debating and learning with you all.

--Unholy Warrior

"You see, it's all very clear to me now. The whole thing. It's wonderful."
-- Dave Bowman, "2010"
08-04-2013, 02:38 PM
Hello, everyone! I'm 28 from Oregon, and have been a fan of TTA for over a year. I also love stand-up comedy. So, yeah, this is me introducing myself. lol
08-04-2013, 02:55 PM
(08-04-2013 02:38 PM)Gerg Wrote:  Hello, everyone! I'm 28 from Oregon, and have been a fan of TTA for over a year. I also love stand-up comedy. So, yeah, this is me introducing myself. lol

Sorry, doesn't quite cut it. You will have to submit a short clip of you doing a stand-up routine. Deadline is Wednesday, 17.30GMT.

Next. Drinking Beverage

Those who the PTM (Powers That Moderate) have decided to let through the pearly heavily-guarded gates of TTA - welcome.

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
08-04-2013, 05:49 PM
RE: Greetings, all
(08-04-2013 12:48 PM)UnholyWarrior Wrote:  Hey everybody,

I'm brand new to the site, and delighted to be here. I'm a 44 y/o finance guy who was raised a Southern Baptist. Somehow I had the fortitude to resist the avalanche of bullshit I heard on Sundays as a child, and remained christian-ish but essentially "non-practicing" throughout my 20s/30s/40s (despite the efforts of a very "faithful" family). Around Xmas time 2012 I was fooling around with my new iPhone and trying to figure out what the heck a "podcast" was (lame, right?). One of the first podcasts I stumbled across, completely out of curiousity (what is this "atheism" thing, anyway?) was Seth's. And UNHOLY CRAP, what an eye opener! I credit Seth and TTA for helping me figure out the whole reality versus nonsense thing at long last - for giving a name to the doubts and misgivings I have had for decades. Seth's podcasts and my subsequent exploration of atheism/secularism/skepticism have been nothing short of a personal epiphany.

I haven't decided how to best plug into the atheist community and contribute, but I figure this is a start. Looking forward to chatting, debating and learning with you all.

--Unholy Warrior

"You see, it's all very clear to me now. The whole thing. It's wonderful."
-- Dave Bowman, "2010"

Consider yourself plugged-in and welcome.

Throughout history conversions happen at the point of a sword, deconversions at the point of a pen - FC

I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's. - Mark Twain in Eruption
09-04-2013, 12:18 AM
Hi Darklady from downunder ...
major life change a few years ago
I enjoy talking, discussing, and being made to think ...
[+] 1 user Likes Darklady's post
09-04-2013, 05:42 AM
I'm a 48 year old father of 2 living in Utah. No, I'm not Mormon, and yes, I only have 1 wife (I get asked these questions everywhere I go, so I try to get it out up front). I grew up in a home that while not very religious, were believers anyway. After moving to Texas in my 20's, I began attending church with my girlfriend (now my wife of 23 years) and began my "spiritual journey". Over the years I was pulled further and further into the religious lifestyle. We moved quite a bit for my job, and each church we attended would recognize my natural leadership skills and try to capitalize by using them in their church. I helped with running services, reading scripture, teaching sunday school, and eventually became a youth leader. Even though I had always loved science and thought anthropology was fascinating, I was willing to put aside my intellect when it came to religion. Then, I attended an exciting new class taught by a very good friend of mine. It was about "Intelligent Design". As I sat and listened, my jaw dropped and hit the table. I was stunned by the complete nonsense I was hearing. I knew the so called evidence given for ID was wrong and twisted good science or used poor science and logic, but I didn't have factual data that I could use to refute ID. I began researching the real science to disprove ID theory. At this point, my intent was to show that God and science could coexist, but that intelligent design was wrong. After a few years of reading and researching, I began to realize that I could no longer set my intellect aside and have faith. Every place I searched, I found zero evidence for any god or gods. I now accept that I am athiest, but am not yet open about it. My wife, is still a believer, although not as devout as she once was. My family, friends and in-laws still think we will go back to church someday (we left 5 years ago), and get right with god. I know this will never happen. Thanks for listening.
[+] 1 user Likes bhammonds's post
11-04-2013, 01:14 AM
I was raised as an Agnostic Skeptic, and a year ago, I read Good Without God and plowed right into affirming what I always knew - I was not just Agnostic, but a Humanistic Atheist, and happily so. I have raised my son as such as well. We watched his last step-dad "cram for finals" when he knew he was dying, and how he changed from laid back hippy to uptight, conservative Christian in less than a year, all because of fear of death. It gave us a reason to talk about religion, dying, and different beliefs/hopes for what may happen after you die. Very hard lessons to live thru, but it made us stronger, without driving us to religion.

Kat
11-04-2013, 01:55 AM
I am a 57 year old airline pilot. I was born a sceptic and an atheist. I used to think I was alone in my disbelief but not anymore. I love science. I love to laugh at magical thinkers. I know I shouldn't but I can't help myself. I find the Thinking Atheist podcast a refreshing take on the whole debate. Thanks to people like Seth i have some reasonable rebuttals to theist arguments instead of just laughing and calling them stupid. I do enjoy some of the downright rude podcasts too. Ever listen to Emory Emory? He's like the anti-Seth. I used to listen to Art Bell on the radio in the middle of the night. I never believed a word of it but I still got a good laugh out of it. Best response I ever heard for "I'll pray for you" was "And I'll think for you".