Introduce Yourself HERE!

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Votes - 5 Average
16-04-2013, 09:49 PM
RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
Hello every one. If you listened to the latest TTA podcast from St. Louis, I am the person who asked the question about relationships and raising children. I am new to the Forums.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-04-2013, 07:38 AM
hello again. ive made a couple post before but this seems to be the place for the community as a whole to share introductions. im 25, a single mother of a gorgeous 5 year old daughter whom im raising to think freely and wonder about all things in life. i always learned towards atheism but i guess i knew i was definitely atheist when my life was going through turmoil(family members dying, bf at the time broke in my house and threatened my life and to steal my baby, jobs falling through) yea a little bit of everything all at once. so being that my parents were religious i turned to praying to god to help me through this horrific time, for strength, for a break, for the stress to lessen, ANYTHING....nothing happened. maybe i was doing it wrong(lol) because although my parents were religious, they never forced anything on me....until that is i question their beliefs in any way. so i just keep quiet, believe what i believe and just hope to raise my daughter to be a strong independent thinker who will contribute to society in a positive way.
[+] 2 users Like stashthegoods's post
18-04-2013, 08:50 AM
Lightbulb RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
Hello there, I am MusicDragon, or just Dragon, female, and I am an atheist in a prominently Christian city. I am a university student studying mathematics and planning to become a high school teacher. Wish me luck and pleased to meet you all.

:3
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like MusicDragon's post
18-04-2013, 10:16 AM
Hello everybody, it’s a pleasure for me to finally have the courage to join the forum even if I have been reading posts for some time now. Well if I have to say something about myself I work as a teacher and live in a mostly catholic country. To end it something funny because of the censorship in my city you can’t open adult web pages, atheist web pages and so on in public spaces there is some kind of censoring program but thank to I don’t know who, I still can use the catholic church wifi connection to check on secular web pages. Greetings and have a nice day.
[+] 3 users Like isyreri's post
18-04-2013, 01:01 PM
(18-04-2013 08:50 AM)MusicDragon Wrote:  Hello there, I am MusicDragon, or just Dragon, female, and I am an atheist in a prominently Christian city. I am a university student studying mathematics and planning to become a high school teacher. Wish me luck and pleased to meet you all.

:3

Good luck Smile & welcome.
18-04-2013, 06:13 PM
Hello.

It's nice to finally be here. I've been a big fan of The Thinking Atheist for a long time. Now that my little girl is almost two, I have more time for forums and whatnot. So, I thought I would start here.

I'm a Canadian who, while baptized an Anglican, was never indoctrinated into the church.

My mother's anti-theism would probably make the late Christopher Hitchens say, "whoa, there! Let's give the clergy a bit of a break, shall we?" And so, my brothers and I were raised in a thoroughly religion-free zone. We didn't even so much as say Grace. I remember being about six when it dawned on me that some people actually believed the stories in the Bible really happened. For me, they were (and still are) no less fiction than the Greek, Norse or Japanese mythology books on my shelf.

I was fortunate to have been brought up without certain expectations. I've seen and heard the difficulties that others have had escaping from religion, and the strains it puts on their relationships with friends and family. Most of my friends, too, come from completely or largely religion-free upbringings.

It's a bit easier, in my experience, to be an atheist in Canada. Or at least, in my part of Canada. I've never been afraid or reluctant to say, "yes, I'm an atheist." I've never even really identified as one. I've simply never been a believer. And I never will be. It makes no sense to me. And, I've never felt that to be an atheist, non-believer, kufir, or whatever, was a loaded subject. Hopefully, that too, is something that I will never have to feel.

Others aren't so lucky. Many of them are here. I don't know what, if any help I can give, beyond saying to those of you who have de-converted, or feel scared to say how you feel, that you are not alone. You've at least got us, and you've certainly got me.

Nice to meet you all.
[+] 3 users Like Alexander Barbarosa's post
18-04-2013, 10:01 PM
Greeting Thinking Atheists (I bet that is original!).

My name is Brandon Buck, I'm a 26 year old computer software engineer and I am an atheist. I have not been atheist my entire life, I was Christian when I was younger (and very gullible) when I went to church and attended a Christian school. My parents were not particularly religious and it was not them that led me to be religious but the influence from school and other family members as well as friends.

Anyways, too much life story maybe. I grew up, learned some things, and realized that the truth was much simpler than trying to understand a 2000 year old mistranslated book and decided that I would be Atheist. I'm not in hiding, I'm proud of what I am.

I tend to practice what I preach when it comes to religious views - that is, I don't preach atheism and I don't discuss religious beliefs unless I'm directly asked or the topic comes up. I appreciate other religious individuals to do the same but I am far too aware that this is too much of a request for most people.

Anyways. This is who I am, and greetings to this board.
[+] 2 users Like bbuck's post
19-04-2013, 07:00 PM
I'm a 42 year old from Pittsburgh and an atheist since high school, though I wasn't fully cognisant my atheisism until I started reading the four horsemen of the apocolypse. I've registered for this forum so that I can engage with other rational people.
20-04-2013, 03:16 AM
Lots of new heathens.

Welcome to TTA everyone!

[Image: vjp09.gif]
20-04-2013, 09:21 AM
Hello.

It's been a long road to here. I was raised in nominally Christian home (Christian in name only), did a stint as a born again Pentecostal in my teens, eventually settled down as a nice conservative fundamentalist (the non-charismatic variety) not long after marrying my like-minded girlfriend at the age of 19. Even went to Bible School for a whole semester (until the money ran out). Raised three daughters as Christians. Was an elder in my church. Then I was burned by some other "Christians". Prayer was not answered in my time of need. My nagging questions about such things as the scope of the universe relative to the creation story, the inaccuracies and inconsistencies of the bible remained. And, most of all, I started to study. Got a degree in Philosophy. Read Harris' "The End of Faith". Then went to law school. While studying law, discovered Skepticism. I felt at home there. But for a long time, even though I had rejected all of the fundamentalist stuff by this point, I was uncomfortable with calling myself an atheist. To be honest, I still stammer over the label somewhat.
My youngest daughter was the first one to tell me I was an atheist. I told her I wasn't comfortable with that label, but I also knew it was true. So I've gotten slowly more used to the idea.
Anyway, here I am. 49 years old, and just beginning to see the world objectively for the first time in so many ways. Wondering at the power of my brain that ever allowed me to reconcile the world that I see with the book.

Michael J
[+] 2 users Like Michael J's post