Introduce Yourself HERE!
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 5 Average
13-04-2011, 10:55 AM

RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
I'm from the U.S.A. and I'm extremely angry about what pundits are spewing in the name of their religion! We have Christians lying about Planned Parenthood and suggesting that public health care is addictive and makes us less than what God wants us to be. They control our news media and shamelessly lie to the American people, and most Americans eat their shit. They even admit there official statements are "not meant to be factual" and continue to preach their incredible racist, misogynist, anti-intellectual anti-gay sound bites to a gullible public.

Thanks for letting me have my rant.
13-04-2011, 05:46 PM

The name is Carmen. I am a 15 year old student in Montana. I was raised a moderate believer who went to church every once in a while. Then we stopped going to church all together. Once that happened, and some of time while i was a believer, I started to be skeptical and then researched about science and then found Christopher Hitchens. Since that I have been a non-believer. I love Metal music, though I enjoy many other genres, and hanging out with my friends (who all agreed that religion doesn't matter when it comes to who your friends are).
Thats about everything.
14-04-2011, 01:21 AM

Greetings to all rational thinkers from Australia! I am a retired Police Officer who spent most of his career in CSI. I was brought up in a Catholic family, but really we never went to church on Sundays at all. But Dad would drag us off at Christmas and Easter and such...gotta celebrate those pagans holidays the Church stole I guess.Smile

I was sent to Catholic schools and private college run by monks, but you know what?..not once, never did I believe anything religious forced upon mefrom about age 9. My brain just would not accept it, rather I was interested in finding out things about stuff, i would pull my toys apart to see how they worked and such. I was amazed by insects (we have a LOT here in OZ!) when I was young and caught them in jars, watched them for a few days and released them. I guess my inquisitive nature is what made me a damn fine CSI officer(lack of modesty there)

Anyway my two sons have always been given the option of attending what is called 'RE' - religious education classes at their school here in Queensland, and I let them go to the first couple of lessons. I then dropped the big question on them about whether they thought about what they were being told and if they would like to keep going. The eldest boy,who was 10 at the time, instantly said no because he could see it was all complete BS. The younger son, who was 7 at the time, thought he might like to go as he thought the story of Jesus was pretty cool. He also believed in Santa Clause as well and Luke Skywalker. I let him go to a couple more classes but asked him to really listen and ask any questions that came into his head, anything he thought was strange. He came home afew days later and told me this religion thing was not 'on' as the teacher kept resorting to using 'magic' to explain inexplicable things he was questioning. They are 14 and 11 now and I am proud of the fact they they question everything. I have a fine collection of Hitchens, Dawkins, Harris, Sagan and Dennett laying round the house for their perusal at any time. I encourage them to being 'young contrarians' at all time and I can see they will turn out to be lovley men.

Alas like many of my fellow anti-theist, family members can be a problem. My sister in law's husband is a BIG 'spiritual guy' as he calls it. He avoids debate or conversations with me because I always fall back on science when we go head to head about religions and all the gods of the past. I take that as a compliment!, but I am getting a bit peeved with him as he is really befriending himself with my 14 yr old and my son ( he goes over to the sister in laws house some nights to watch old horror films with the bro in law).

My son reports to me that when they are alone, he starts to work the bible into conversation and I really do think he is trying to convert him. My son thinks its a laugh really, but I am watching the situation closely. My eldest son is a very smart level headed kid who is a rational thinker. The brother in law doesnt know what he is up against if he thinks he can convince Adam (my son) that religions/ deities are true.

My wife of 27 years married (31years together) used to be a youth Sunday School teacher and she tells our boys the story that one day while she was actually teaching in Sunday school, when she was about 13yrs of age, she thought of what she was telling the little kids in her class whilst the pious parents sat up the back of the hall, a bolt rationality out of the blue hit her, she stood up and said she was sorry but this is so wrong, thanked everyone and walked out. hehe..funny how rational thought can save you. Smile Some ten years ago she was diagnosed with breast cancer, she had the operation and the radiation and fought it off, to this day her regular checks indicate she doesnt have a cancerous cell in her body. all thanks to her fortitude and the wonders of scientific/medical research.

Anyway, we have a lovely atheist family, with a wonderful moral code, we all share a great love of this world and each other and we appreciate just how lucky we are to be here. That is why we have such wonderful fulfilling lives together and not a word of religious piety ever occurs in our world. We do not fear death and have no guilt issues, two things we often detect in the many religious people we come into contact with...we feel very sorry for them.

We are quite proud of the fact that when we do pass from this life our atoms will go back to where they came, the Cosmos.
15-04-2011, 03:41 AM
What a great story. I kinda envy you and your family, it's hard to find that kind of rationality in one house.

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
Find all posts by this user
16-04-2011, 11:11 AM

My name is Kyle. I grew up in a family that was raised Christian but they allowed me to make up my own mind. I would call myself a former believer. I put a full effort into Christianity as a child and young teenager. I decided I was an agnostic around the age of 16. This was mainly due to my high interest in Science in high school. My science teacher at this time was actually one of the deacons at my family's church. He was a devote christian but told me that he believed scientific data over most christian ideas. I then began to do my own research into God (mainly the Christian God). I took a couple courses around the age of 18 that studied the bible. The one was one sanctioned by the church my family went to that studied the entire bible over 18 weeks(9 on the old testament and 9 on the new). Each book in the bible was read, discussed, and had different writing assignments involved with it. This was a very informative course for me. It was after this that I decided that I was an atheist.
16-04-2011, 11:41 PM

I am a 16 yr old atheist (almost 17). i came to the conclusion of being an atheist on my own. My dad is fine with my atheism though my mom is less so. that's about it.
18-04-2011, 11:14 AM

Greeting from Canada
I'm Steph, from Canada. I'm 50 this week, served my country for 25 years as an officer and pilot in our military. I am now convinced after 35 years of searching, studying, travelling, reading and researching and listening that I just don’t believe in some deity sitting up there watching us. It is a testimonial to the power religions hold over people when it has taken me longer to shed its yoke of oppression than it did for my parents, schools and church to drum it into me.

This was not a flippant and uneducated change of direction nor was it a sudden event. When I was in school and learned of other religions I immediately began questioning why we (Catholics) thought we were right. What if the others were right too?

I tried, I really, really, tried but the nagging questions and doubt remained. Then while I was serving as a pilot in the military I went to the middle-east on a Peacekeeping tour. This gave me a chance to visit the holy land of Israel. I was thrilled beyond belief and so excited that I might just see all of these sites I had heard about such as the court of Pilate, the stations of cross, the mount of olives, the temple mount, the wailing wall, Jerusalem, Nazareth and Bethlehem. The more I looked around and asked questions the less and less it made sense. I met very educated people who explained that the stations-of the cross were completely constructed to meet the demands of the flocking tourists. It made sense actually because everywhere you went there were peddlers selling souvenirs of all kinds. That has not changed in thousands of years whether you are in the holy land or at the Roman coliseum or any other historical place.

My visits to those sites brought more questions and I had plenty of spare time and great resources in our camp library and during my subsequent visits in Israel. The more I studied, the more inconsistencies and errors I found in the entire story of Christianity. There were gospels that were not in the bible and the history was incongruent, time-lines did not match in the story.

I came back feeling disenchanted and lost. Just like the R.E.M. song, I was ‘Losing my Religion’. But I thought that I at least still believed in God and as I had done before, I tried again to reconnect and make sense of the missing and disconnected information. I read the bible again, I read and studied parts of the Koran and the Torah, and still nothing made sense.

Just like today there was more than one source of media reporting or recording for events around Christ's time. The Romans and Jews during the period of the Christ wrote volumes of accurate and detailed diaries and reports and stories but none a peep about Christ. Surely someone would have noticed a dude going around doing miracles and preaching such a radical new way of life.

In my online research I discovered articulate and intelligent atheists like Richard Dawkins and Christopher Hitchens and of course thethinkingatheist. Then just before Christmas of 2010 I saw the bus ad, “There probably is no God so smile and enjoy life”. I found the Humanists of Ottawa and other atheist web sites. It was Richard Dawkins’s “Out” campaign finally pushed me, out. I realized that I just could not keep it all in anymore.

I finally felt peace in my heart and mind and comfort in finding truly intelligent life on this planet. The world now made sense to me. Your morals are not tied to a religion, as a matter of fact I believe you must separate religion from your morals. I believe in science and the beauty of this earth and I believe in love. I believe in mankind’s resolve and will to live. We are learning more and more about our universe every day and that is what makes it wonderful. I just want my children to discover the same for themselves. I want to encourage them to ask questions, seek the truth and use reason and logic in checking out any outrageous claims made by any one person or organization, especially religions.

I have felt very alone until I found these great web sites. It is so great to meet you all.
[+] 1 user Likes CoraxNiveus's post
20-04-2011, 12:42 AM
Welcome Steph!

Its very true, sometimes it can be tough shaking off religion. It really does take allot more thought and effort to be atheist that to simply believe. That on it's own explains allot.

I hope you enjoy your time here. There are lots of interesting topics where you can add your perspective.
Find all posts by this user
22-04-2011, 06:24 AM

Hi everyone. I just joined up today and found this site and forum via Facebook. I'm 47 and was brainwashed Roman Catholic. Over the past 5 years or so I started to identify as Atheist. I will talk to everyone about it except my Mom. She's still a devout, delusioned Catholic and I just can't go there with her. I'm in the Phiadelphia, PA area and would enjoy hearing from anyone local. Thanks for reading ... Ken
22-04-2011, 05:11 PM

Hello All;

My name is Craig, I am 53 years old, married, currently living near Baltimore Maryland. I was raised Methodist and was shoved into Sunday School and Church each and every week throughout the 1960s and a good bit of the 70s. For multiple years, Tori Amos' father was our minister. My brother took piano lessons together with her for a short time.
I've been a skeptic for a long, long time and finally came out of the closet this year. I suspect my wife is still a believer and I'm hoping against hope this won't hurt "us", but I can't fake belief anymore.
Thanks for listening.
(22-04-2011 06:24 AM)KenNardone Wrote:  Hi everyone. I just joined up today and found this site and forum via Facebook. I'm 47 and was brainwashed Roman Catholic. Over the past 5 years or so I started to identify as Atheist. I will talk to everyone about it except my Mom. She's still a devout, delusioned Catholic and I just can't go there with her. I'm in the Phiadelphia, PA area and would enjoy hearing from anyone local. Thanks for reading ... Ken

Hi Ken! I'm from the Baltimore area. I've had the opposite experience with my mom, which may be partly her age (81), but she's been remarkably receptive and even sympathetic. Maybe if you approached a conversation with extreme caution ('a friend of mine said he's.....' type-of-thing), you may be suprised too. It might be worth a shot.
(18-04-2011 11:14 AM)CoraxNiveus Wrote:  I'm Steph, from Canada. I'm 50 this week, served my country for 25 years as an officer and pilot in our military. I am now convinced after 35 years of searching, studying, travelling, reading and researching and listening that I just don’t believe in some deity sitting up there watching us. It is a testimonial to the power religions hold over people when it has taken me longer to shed its yoke of oppression than it did for my parents, schools and church to drum it into me.

This was not a flippant and uneducated change of direction nor was it a sudden event. When I was in school and learned of other religions I immediately began questioning why we (Catholics) thought we were right. What if the others were right too?

I tried, I really, really, tried but the nagging questions and doubt remained. Then while I was serving as a pilot in the military I went to the middle-east on a Peacekeeping tour. This gave me a chance to visit the holy land of Israel. I was thrilled beyond belief and so excited that I might just see all of these sites I had heard about such as the court of Pilate, the stations of cross, the mount of olives, the temple mount, the wailing wall, Jerusalem, Nazareth and Bethlehem. The more I looked around and asked questions the less and less it made sense. I met very educated people who explained that the stations-of the cross were completely constructed to meet the demands of the flocking tourists. It made sense actually because everywhere you went there were peddlers selling souvenirs of all kinds. That has not changed in thousands of years whether you are in the holy land or at the Roman coliseum or any other historical place.

My visits to those sites brought more questions and I had plenty of spare time and great resources in our camp library and during my subsequent visits in Israel. The more I studied, the more inconsistencies and errors I found in the entire story of Christianity. There were gospels that were not in the bible and the history was incongruent, time-lines did not match in the story.

I came back feeling disenchanted and lost. Just like the R.E.M. song, I was ‘Losing my Religion’. But I thought that I at least still believed in God and as I had done before, I tried again to reconnect and make sense of the missing and disconnected information. I read the bible again, I read and studied parts of the Koran and the Torah, and still nothing made sense.

Just like today there was more than one source of media reporting or recording for events around Christ's time. The Romans and Jews during the period of the Christ wrote volumes of accurate and detailed diaries and reports and stories but none a peep about Christ. Surely someone would have noticed a dude going around doing miracles and preaching such a radical new way of life.

In my online research I discovered articulate and intelligent atheists like Richard Dawkins and Christopher Hitchens and of course thethinkingatheist. Then just before Christmas of 2010 I saw the bus ad, “There probably is no God so smile and enjoy life”. I found the Humanists of Ottawa and other atheist web sites. It was Richard Dawkins’s “Out” campaign finally pushed me, out. I realized that I just could not keep it all in anymore.

I finally felt peace in my heart and mind and comfort in finding truly intelligent life on this planet. The world now made sense to me. Your morals are not tied to a religion, as a matter of fact I believe you must separate religion from your morals. I believe in science and the beauty of this earth and I believe in love. I believe in mankind’s resolve and will to live. We are learning more and more about our universe every day and that is what makes it wonderful. I just want my children to discover the same for themselves. I want to encourage them to ask questions, seek the truth and use reason and logic in checking out any outrageous claims made by any one person or organization, especially religions.

I have felt very alone until I found these great web sites. It is so great to meet you all.

Hi Steph!

It is indeed reassuring to find out we are not alone! It's great to meet you too.

craig.
Thread Closed