20-04-2013, 10:37 AM
RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
Hope you have a good time here Mr. J
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes ELK12695's post
20-04-2013, 10:42 AM
Big Grin RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
I am in my mid-forties and proud that I have finely come to terms that I am an atheist! After a lifetime of doubt, questions, and christian brainwashing, as of about two years ago, I have come to the understand I just can't buy it anymore (and shouldn't). Penn Jillette probably got me really thinking. He may not the right starting point for everyone, lol. Then Richard Dawkins, then Christopher Hitchens, and the list goes on. Downloaded and currently listening to "De-converted." Very happy to now be a member of this site Thumbsup

"You can stick your moral standards, because it's all a dirty lie" -Bon Scott
[+] 2 users Like januarymick's post
20-04-2013, 10:46 AM
(19-04-2013 07:00 PM)Darth Credulous Wrote:  I'm a 42 year old from Pittsburgh and an atheist since high school, though I wasn't fully cognisant my atheisism until I started reading the four horsemen of the apocolypse. I've registered for this forum so that I can engage with other rational people.

Yikes...we better start behaving ourselves then, I guess. Confused

Welcome! Big Grin

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
20-04-2013, 10:58 AM
I've registered for this forum so that I can engage with other rational people.
[/quote]

Thanks for the welcome. I'm brand new on this forum, but I already know that rationality and atheism are distinct things. First of all, one is a process, and the other is a conclusion. Rationality led me to atheism, but there's any number of reasons why someone might reject theism. Anyway, here's hoping for lots of good rational discussion, and maybe a few of the other sorts of conversations, too. Hobo

Michael J
[+] 2 users Like Michael J's post
20-04-2013, 11:02 AM
(20-04-2013 10:42 AM)januarymick Wrote:  I am in my mid-forties and proud that I have finely come to terms that I am an atheist! After a lifetime of doubt, questions, and christian brainwashing, as of about two years ago, I have come to the understand I just can't buy it anymore (and shouldn't). Penn Jillette probably got me really thinking. He may not the right starting point for everyone, lol. Then Richard Dawkins, then Christopher Hitchens, and the list goes on. Downloaded and currently listening to "De-converted." Very happy to now be a member of this site Thumbsup

Welcome Smile
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
21-04-2013, 02:45 AM
Hello fellow thinkers. I am an American atheist 36 years of age. I live in Arizona, in a highly Mormon populated and conservative area It SUCKS. Luckily I found the one neighborhood in town with 4 other atheist on my street. I am thankful for the opportunity to have thoughtful discussions with them and with some of my neighbors who still believe in an almighty being. To date my 2 other no believing highborn friends and I have converted 1 agnostic and on true believer to the side of science and proof. I look forward to many discussions and hope to contribute to this site in the future.
[+] 1 user Likes Mattyv's post
21-04-2013, 05:27 PM
(21-04-2013 02:45 AM)Mattyv Wrote:  Hello fellow thinkers. I am an American atheist 36 years of age. I live in Arizona, in a highly Mormon populated and conservative area It SUCKS. Luckily I found the one neighborhood in town with 4 other atheist on my street. I am thankful for the opportunity to have thoughtful discussions with them and with some of my neighbors who still believe in an almighty being. To date my 2 other no believing highborn friends and I have converted 1 agnostic and on true believer to the side of science and proof. I look forward to many discussions and hope to contribute to this site in the future.

Welcome to the forum.

[Image: Hitchhikersguide_zps7678fbae.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
21-04-2013, 05:50 PM
(15-04-2013 08:05 AM)childeye Wrote:  Hi, I am a believer in the Christ. I have registered here because I am curious as to reasons why people don't believe in the Christ or even God for that matter. I am looking forward to some interesting discussion.

Read the New Testament (every word) and go back and re-read the same stories which appear in multiple books within the Bible. Bend your mind to the impossible task of reconciling all the contradictions among the multiple biblical versions of the stories, and all the contradictions between your (likely) belief in a loving Jesus and the biblical stories of what an L. Ron Hubbard-like asshole He was, then you can re-post here that you're now an atheist like most of us here.... or not. Evil_monster

In my experience, religious folks are good and moral in direct proportion to how much of the nastier passages in their holy books that they are able to ignore. That ability to ignore vast swaths of the Bible is why most christians these days have stopped burning "witches" at the stake and stoning their disobedient children to death.

How about starting a thread in

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...th-Theists

where you explain why, contrary to all the evidence, including that contained in the Bible itself, you still believe in "the Christ". I'm sure you'll find lots of people prepared to argue with you. Smile

"Heresy makes for progress" - Hypatia Bradlaugh Bonner
[1 Corinthians 13:11] When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things. - The Bible King James Version. See? Even the Bible says "Put me down!" Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes ufo42's post
22-04-2013, 01:43 AM
(21-04-2013 05:50 PM)ufo42 Wrote:  
(15-04-2013 08:05 AM)childeye Wrote:  Hi, I am a believer in the Christ. I have registered here because I am curious as to reasons why people don't believe in the Christ or even God for that matter. I am looking forward to some interesting discussion.

Read the New Testament (every word) and go back and re-read the same stories which appear in multiple books within the Bible. Bend your mind to the impossible task of reconciling all the contradictions among the multiple biblical versions of the stories, and all the contradictions between your (likely) belief in a loving Jesus and the biblical stories of what an L. Ron Hubbard-like asshole He was, then you can re-post here that you're now an atheist like most of us here.... or not. Evil_monster

In my experience, religious folks are good and moral in direct proportion to how much of the nastier passages in their holy books that they are able to ignore. That ability to ignore vast swaths of the Bible is why most christians these days have stopped burning "witches" at the stake and stoning their disobedient children to death.

How about starting a thread in

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...th-Theists

where you explain why, contrary to all the evidence, including that contained in the Bible itself, you still believe in "the Christ". I'm sure you'll find lots of people prepared to argue with you. Smile

Oh by Hades, don't encourage him. Good to see you posting though Smile
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
22-04-2013, 08:57 AM
Hello
I have just joined 'The Thinking Atheist,' even though I have been listening to the podcasts for quite some time.

I am a 51 year old man from a village in between Oxford & Reading in England.
Being an atheist is not unusual here and it really does not raise any reaction when this is brought up. In fact religion is not often discussed as a serious subject by most people. I have occasionally had friends for many years before finding what religion they are, as religion is just not that important part of day to day life.

I have been an atheist as far back as I can remember.
As was the case with a with children in the 60's it was common place to attend 'Sunday School' at the local church, it was just the done thing. I recall my mother & aunty had definate religious beliefs.

I can clearly recall (under 8yrs old) sitting in 'Sunday School' looking around me at the other children and adults there and thinking:
- Are we meant to believe these stories and what we are being told?
- Do they believe these stories?
- Are we meant to pretend we believe these stories?
- Are they pretending they believe these stories etc?
-Does every know that it's just a load of old nonsense & made up stories, but it's just some sort of unwritten rule that nobody lets on or mentions it.
- When I realised some people actually believed these ludicrous stories and took it all seriously and the rest of the gobbledygook that goes along with the whole religion thing, I was stunned & really struggled to take them seriously, I just couldn't understand how these (intelligent) people could be taken in by something that was so obviously just another fairy story.

Having said that religions, others believes & cultures have always fascinated me.
I am also impressed with a lot of the architecture & art.

These days I am just so pleased the whole 'Atheist & Free Thinker' movement has become so big and it looks like this will continue.
The fact the unfairness, injustice, power & influence of the church is now able to be seriously questioned and challenged is great.

We are winning the argument
[+] 1 user Likes NaturalBornAtheist's post

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
Shocked I am just going to introduce myself and start things off light. Dru Denizen 17 556 13-01-2014 04:05 AM
Last Post: Dee
  Introduce Myself Nevillean 1 208 23-06-2013 07:56 AM
Last Post: morondog
  [split] Introduce Yourself HERE! Thinking Mom's Letter thinkingmom 8 577 10-06-2013 01:53 PM
Last Post: viocjit
  Derailed :D[split] Introduce Yourself HERE! hylonome 81 3,886 27-08-2012 12:14 AM
Last Post: Atothetheist
  Please allow me to introduce myself Caveman 12 717 29-03-2012 07:22 AM
Last Post: kingschosen
  Can I Introduce Myself Video3tech 24 1,717 27-03-2012 11:36 PM
Last Post: aurora
Big Grin Hello everyone! I'd like to introduce myself! justacityboy 24 2,604 26-05-2010 07:12 PM
Last Post: Unbeliever