Introduce Yourself HERE!
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Votes - 5 Average
22-04-2013, 11:39 AM
RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
(22-04-2013 08:57 AM)NaturalBornAtheist Wrote:  Hello
I have just joined 'The Thinking Atheist,' even though I have been listening to the podcasts for quite some time.

I am a 51 year old man from a village in between Oxford & Reading in England.
Being an atheist is not unusual here and it really does not raise any reaction when this is brought up. In fact religion is not often discussed as a serious subject by most people. I have occasionally had friends for many years before finding what religion they are, as religion is just not that important part of day to day life.

I have been an atheist as far back as I can remember.
As was the case with a with children in the 60's it was common place to attend 'Sunday School' at the local church, it was just the done thing. I recall my mother & aunty had definate religious beliefs.

I can clearly recall (under 8yrs old) sitting in 'Sunday School' looking around me at the other children and adults there and thinking:
- Are we meant to believe these stories and what we are being told?
- Do they believe these stories?
- Are we meant to pretend we believe these stories?
- Are they pretending they believe these stories etc?
-Does every know that it's just a load of old nonsense & made up stories, but it's just some sort of unwritten rule that nobody lets on or mentions it.
- When I realised some people actually believed these ludicrous stories and took it all seriously and the rest of the gobbledygook that goes along with the whole religion thing, I was stunned & really struggled to take them seriously, I just couldn't understand how these (intelligent) people could be taken in by something that was so obviously just another fairy story.

Having said that religions, others believes & cultures have always fascinated me.
I am also impressed with a lot of the architecture & art.

These days I am just so pleased the whole 'Atheist & Free Thinker' movement has become so big and it looks like this will continue.
The fact the unfairness, injustice, power & influence of the church is now able to be seriously questioned and challenged is great.

We are winning the argument

Welcome to the forum.

I remember having those same thoughts in Sunday school at about that age.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
22-04-2013, 12:01 PM (This post was last modified: 22-04-2013 12:05 PM by TrainWreck.)
(22-04-2013 08:57 AM)NaturalBornAtheist Wrote:  I can clearly recall (under 8yrs old) sitting in 'Sunday School' looking around me at the other children and adults there and thinking:
- Are we meant to believe these stories and what we are being told?
- Do they believe these stories?
- Are we meant to pretend we believe these stories?
- Are they pretending they believe these stories etc?

You sound like you were extremely smart as a child - what's happened to you since then? You aren't one of the famous atheists, are you?

Are you raising your children to be secular, atheist, or how would you describe it more accurately?

This is extremely important, because we in the States have a very corrupt sense of what a normal atheist experiences. The white Christians, treat us like second class citizens, denying us good educations and marriage rites, just like they do to the blacks and homosexuals, but it worse for us, because we have to listen to their JEEEZUSSSS shit all day. I can only imagine that you famous atheists, who were naturally born atheist, would know what the truth of reality is.

Humanism - ontological doctrine that posits that humans define reality
Theism - ontological doctrine that posits a supernatural entity creates and defines reality
Atheism - political doctrine opposed to theist doctrine in public policy
I am right, and you are wrong - I hope you die peacefullyCool
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes TrainWreck's post
22-04-2013, 12:25 PM
(22-04-2013 01:43 AM)morondog Wrote:  [quote='ufo42' pid='295563' dateline='1366588210']

Oh by Hades, don't encourage him. Good to see you posting though Smile

Why not encourage him? I've noticed a critical shortage of deluded theists pushing their ideas in public debates throughout the world, haven't you? Wink

"Heresy makes for progress" - Hypatia Bradlaugh Bonner
[1 Corinthians 13:11] When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things. - The Bible King James Version. See? Even the Bible says "Put me down!" Big Grin
[+] 2 users Like ufo42's post
23-04-2013, 04:57 AM (This post was last modified: 23-04-2013 05:04 AM by NaturalBornAtheist.)
- No not a particularly smart child, just a thinker. Although I believe I may have peaked intelligence wise at about that time though! And alas I am not one of the famous atheists, but I am a huge fan and follower.

I have three absolutely fantastic children 22-18 & 16yrs old (boy, girl, boy). Who are three of the nicest people I have ever had the pleasure to meet. Kind, caring, sensitive, great morals, follow the golden rule. Care about the weak bullied and unjust. They are not frightened to stand up for individuals that are being treated badly or differently. Popular, bright, talented and very funny.
(Gushing and Proud Dad moment)

Regards bringing them up both my wife and I are atheists, so that's a good start.
My thoughts on the whole subject have always been more definate & passionate.
However I was very aware how easy it is to influence children, indoctrinate etc. So from the beginning I was very aware of trying not to tell them what to think.
In fact as they have got older, my daughter in particular had pointed out if they came to me with a question, I would seldom give a straight answer but we would discuss and explore around the subject and encourage them to come with their own conclusions.

Obviously there would have been more indirect subtle & unconscious messages that we would have given them that they would have easily picked up on that we were not God fearing (believers).

I recall to particular questions my daughter asked when she was young, I can't recall
which came first.
1) Why does god let the children in Africa suffer and die?
2) Why does Father Christmas give better and more presents to the richer people and not to the poor people in Africa.
They all believed in Father Christmas longer that God or God's.
In fact I only started telling them my views on religion & atheism after they stopped believing in Father Christmas. Which embarrassingly was quite old as we had done such a good job in fooling them about him. Easy to fool a child with a little bit of effort possible magical consequences!

I suppose the other lucky thing is there is just not the pressure, discrimination and prejudice you suffer with in America. I just isn't such a big issue.
For example in my daughters 'Philosophy & Religion Class' (approx 20 pupils) there is only one overt Christian who believes in evolution and the more bizarre believes.
23-04-2013, 05:03 AM
................................................................................​.........................................
Thank you for the welcome

I believe young children thinking like this is more common than people may imagine. How many children go along with Father Christmas to keep there parents happy. Or the parents saying I think my child knows, but I'm not sure. She/he thinks they will get more presents if they still believe in father Christmas
(I have a personal story about Father Christmas, being fooled and my children when they were not so young that I may post at some point.)

If children are not indoctrinated and given space to think whilst young they have a great capacity for original thinking & questioning etc. They are also very aware of 'the unwritten rules' and the *subtle pressures even regards a fairly mild religious environment that I attended, regards personal interactions, for example; what they are meant to question or not to go along with to remain part of 'the pack'.

*I have regularly seen on TV the frightening, abusive and immoral indoctrination of the evangelical churches, christian summer camps and Islamic schools etc, brain washing of young children.
I am amazed that anyone can come out the other side in tact of this sort of 'hellish', unremitting treatment, once having their young impressionable and pliable brains programmed. With no space to think or question. And the immense and overt pressure to conform, under the threat of going to hell or similar if they do not.
I have so much respect and admiration for anyone who is able to 'see the light' after such abhorrent treatment.

I digress:
- I could not but help notice the flags, is there some significants. I am originally from Wales.
23-04-2013, 01:57 PM
Hi there people. I've been reading and listening to Seth for quite some time now, and thought it was about time I actually joined the growing throng! I, like many of you, was born into a semi religious family, but pretty much as soon as I was old enough to analyze things for myself, realized I was an atheist. I am originally from England, but now live in San Diego. I am open and honest about my beliefs (or lack of), and am very happy to have found this great refuge from a somewhat crazy world. Have a great day guys, and I hope to get to know some of you better. Ray.
[+] 1 user Likes Ray's post
24-04-2013, 09:06 AM
Hi!
Recently started listening to the podcast by the same name, and thought I'd join the forum to discuss some of the topics. For the record, I was raised as an Air Force brat and pastor's kid, and was always expected to go to church, be the perfect son, and never do anything particularly unsavory. Which, of course, I usually made a point to do. Always had trouble with the idea of god, and wavered back and forth in my belief for many years before I went to Marine Corps boot camp. While there, I went to "church" every Sunday (the opportunity was afforded, and those who didn't go ended up getting messed with), and one week I looked around, and, seeing all the looks of ecstasy, the hands in the air, and the slavish devotion to the words of a military chaplain, wondered what in hell all this is supposed to be about. A very few weeks later, I realized that I am, indeed, an atheist. I do not believe in god, and will not feel guilty about it. So here I am, nearly two years later. . . I appreciate everyone's presence here; it's encouraging as I deal with my family's more dogmatic points of view! Thank you all!
T.Gracchus
[+] 2 users Like tiberius_gracchus's post
24-04-2013, 09:40 AM

Am I in the right forum?
Hi, am not quite sure I have the right kind of site, and maybe some feedback is required, I believe in an intelligent, creative loving universe or energy. I believe in light and love, healing etc. I am not religious and really dislike their beliefs, so controlling and I think programming of the masses for control only. I am a spiritual being. Heart
[+] 1 user Likes Kitcat's post
24-04-2013, 10:20 AM
RE: Am I in the right forum?
(24-04-2013 09:40 AM)Kitcat Wrote:  Hi, am not quite sure I have the right kind of site, and maybe some feedback is required, I believe in an intelligent, creative loving universe or energy. I believe in light and love, healing etc. I am not religious and really dislike their beliefs, so controlling and I think programming of the masses for control only. I am a spiritual being. Heart

It can get a little rough around here for the uninitiated. But for the most part, even the crazies here have a bark that is worse than their bite. Big Grin

Most of us do not find evidence of any sort of supernaturalism anywhere in the universe that cannot be more easily explained through natural causes. But you are most welcome, and I hope you stick around!

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
24-04-2013, 10:38 AM

RE: Am I in the right forum?
(24-04-2013 10:20 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(24-04-2013 09:40 AM)Kitcat Wrote:  Hi, am not quite sure I have the right kind of site, and maybe some feedback is required, I believe in an intelligent, creative loving universe or energy. I believe in light and love, healing etc. I am not religious and really dislike their beliefs, so controlling and I think programming of the masses for control only. I am a spiritual being. Heart

It can get a little rough around here for the uninitiated. But for the most part, even the crazies here have a bark that is worse than their bite. Big Grin

Most of us do not find evidence of any sort of supernaturalism anywhere in the universe that cannot be more easily explained through natural causes. But you are most welcome, and I hope you stick around!

Thank you for you reply, I really do appreciate it.
Thread Closed