Introduce Yourself HERE!

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Votes - 5 Average
24-04-2013, 01:27 PM
RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
(24-04-2013 11:53 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(24-04-2013 11:47 AM)Foxcanine1 Wrote:  Hey, I'm the canine around here. That poster you mentioned is just a dog. I'm the canine. Talk about insulting. I go through the trouble of having canine in my name just so someone else can be called it instead. The nerve of you people. The nerve.

Dogs chase foxes Evil_monster

And besides which I'm 3D. So not a poster. I'm insulated. sulted. something like that...

Bring it on.

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQTmk6Twsd7IhoDqgU69t8...Oz_mYfBrLg]

Just an outsider looking inn.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Foxcanine1's post
24-04-2013, 07:14 PM
hey there! My name is Jay, and I recently came out to the world as something I've always been.. an atheist.. a nonbeliever.. Unfortunately, I hail from a tiny, closed-minded, indoctrinated-and-saturated-with-religion-from-birth town in Alabama, smack dab in the middle of the Bible Belt. After admitting my beliefs (or lack thereof), I've lost roughly 90% of my "friends" on FB (Well, I'm not sure of that because it doesn't show who unfriended me, but no one responds to posts, etc. anymore.) Now, I don't really care, mind you, but I AM looking for new friends with open minds and rational, reasonable thinking.

A little about me.. I am a teacher. I teach currently in Shanghai, China at an international school. I have a bachelor's and master's in English secondary education and will graduate with my master's in instructional technology next month. As a teacher, I try to inspire my kids to think for themselves and come to their own conclusions about everything in life instead of just blindly accepting information because someone is force-feeding it to them. I want to free other minds from the chains of ignorance forged by the hands and fire of indoctrination and social pressure!

Anyways, just dropping in to say "Hi" and letting everyone know.. For once, I'm happy with something about myself in life.. I've lived a tough life and made many hard decisions, but I think "coming out" was a step in the right direction. My parents died when I was young, so my granny raised me. She believed in God and I went along with it out of respect for her. She always worried about me.. worried I'd end up like my dad.. So I didn't want to worry her even further by telling her I don't believe in God, Jesus, etc. Unfortunately, when I moved to Shanghai, she passed.. So, I've announced the secret I've kept to myself all these years.. Weight off my shoulders.

Sorry if that was a bit too much information!
[+] 2 users Like Alabamian Atheist's post
24-04-2013, 08:03 PM
Hello fellow non believers.
I have been agnostic for about 50 years and finally realized that is the wrong name for my status. My serious doubts began when I first heard the Noah story in Sunday school...see I grew up on a farm. I know what a mess two of each kind of animal on our farm could make and I knew there were more species out there in the big wide world.
[+] 1 user Likes faceless's post
26-04-2013, 07:07 AM
Hey there people! Just wanted to introduce myself. 32 yr old, Sailor, living in New Orleans. Stop by an say hello. Looking forward to hearing from other servicemembers and getting their take on being an unbeliever and serving.

Ciao!
26-04-2013, 10:06 AM

(26-04-2013 07:07 AM)Secularsoutherner504 Wrote:  Hey there people! Just wanted to introduce myself. 32 yr old, Sailor, living in New Orleans. Stop by an say hello. Looking forward to hearing from other servicemembers and getting their take on being an unbeliever and serving.

Ciao!

Welcome. Living in BR here.

We've actually been getting a lot of LA people joining up.

Also, you're in close proximity of Egor... if you don't know who that is... just keep reading the forum.
Quote this message in a reply
26-04-2013, 10:13 AM
(26-04-2013 07:07 AM)Secularsoutherner504 Wrote:  Hey there people! Just wanted to introduce myself. 32 yr old, Sailor, living in New Orleans. Stop by an say hello. Looking forward to hearing from other servicemembers and getting their take on being an unbeliever and serving.

Ciao!
[Image: 497c2fdc-a6f2-4833-a454-86f6e167c199.jpg]

Well, don't ya'll look at me like this. You knew someone had to do it! Dodgy

Welcome to the rest of the new folk!

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
[+] 2 users Like Vera's post
26-04-2013, 10:24 AM
My name is Tammie, I've been living as an Atheist for 20 years now. My epiphany came at the age of 24 after my mother died. I just read the book Deconverted and could relate in so many ways to the feeling of nervousness in "coming out". Its been so long now that I don't really care what others think. I don't put down any religion, I just explain that I know all about it and its not anything that I'm honestly interested in. But I do know how hard it can be when you don't know any other atheist in your bubble of life.

Take care,

Tammie
[+] 1 user Likes Tammdia's post
26-04-2013, 02:35 PM
OK so here goes. I'm definitely an atheist and also, as the great C. Hitchens would say....,anti-theist. I can't imagine what it must be like to think of a deity as a real and/or measurable reality. I kinda think the driving force behind 7 billion human beings feeling this way is fear since faith requires that you find comfort and acceptance in that which requires no evidence. There is a great deal of sympathy required in order to understand the limitations of those who would waste their lives and the lives of those they hold dear on a fiction. This world would be a far different place if human beings were living up to their cerebral potential. But, alas, it is not so and given the history of this soon to be extinct species, it most probably will not be so.
My atheism began, I think, when that cracker got stuck to the top of my mouth during my first....and last communion. I was about 6 or 8 years old. After that it all seemed so foolish. Everything was confusing until I ran into the philosophy of science through a man named Jacque Fresco now 97 and heading an organization called The Venus Project.....about 40 years old. It's beginning was in Miami and now is headquartered in Venus Florida.
I'm 67 now and have several years of life left hopefully with the view that there is a chance however small that this species of animal will make it.
[+] 1 user Likes Joemailman's post
27-04-2013, 08:58 AM
Hi I'm 26 years old and have been an Atheist for all my life. My parents were baptized and followed the church, but they decided that their children would get the option to choose.

When I was a small kid I believed in god, without much influence from the outside. I entertained the idea and tested it, like I tested almost everything when I was little. (Yes I was and probably am still pretty weird.)

As the results of my search for god as a child had no success whatsoever I discarded the idea like I discarded my love for power-rangers and others silly things.

Now I live in Spain were I worked for until a few years ago and now seek to establish myself as a science fiction writer. I am very active in debating the concept of not only god, but all supernatural claims on YouTube and other message boards. I understand from experience that superstition is very harmful to mankind and seek to do my part to bring as much enlightenment to this world as I possibly can.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Author of Earthborn - The Eternal War. A dystopian tale of a battle between reason and faith, mankind and survival.

Large free sample available on http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/306721
[+] 1 user Likes Earthborn's post
28-04-2013, 11:29 AM
I'm a 47 year old male living in the mountains of western NC, USA. I'm a recent deconversion product of the Baptist Church. I say recent as in I recently admitted it to myself and others, actually it's been an ongoing thought process for over 30 years now. I was in the US Army most of my life and saw combat a few times. I also managed to squeeze in five years of my life as an embalmer/funeral professional. Now, I keep honey bees, chickens and garden vegetables. I ride motorcycles, another life long (mostly) hobby and enjoy music and attempting to make it on guitar, piano and banjo. Hi!
[+] 1 user Likes Schmidtrock's post

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
Shocked I am just going to introduce myself and start things off light. Dru Denizen 17 573 13-01-2014 04:05 AM
Last Post: Dee
  Introduce Myself Nevillean 1 215 23-06-2013 07:56 AM
Last Post: morondog
  [split] Introduce Yourself HERE! Thinking Mom's Letter thinkingmom 8 607 10-06-2013 01:53 PM
Last Post: viocjit
  Derailed :D[split] Introduce Yourself HERE! hylonome 81 3,905 27-08-2012 12:14 AM
Last Post: Atothetheist
  Please allow me to introduce myself Caveman 12 724 29-03-2012 07:22 AM
Last Post: kingschosen
  Can I Introduce Myself Video3tech 24 1,731 27-03-2012 11:36 PM
Last Post: aurora
Big Grin Hello everyone! I'd like to introduce myself! justacityboy 24 2,614 26-05-2010 07:12 PM
Last Post: Unbeliever