Introduce Yourself HERE!
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 5 Average
04-05-2013, 05:09 AM
RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
(04-05-2013 02:15 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  We've been negligent in welcoming the newcomers to the MonkeyHouse.Welcome, and throw your feces judiciously. Big Grin

"COGITO ERGO DEVS NON EST"

I think therefore there are no gods? ... I think I like it if I read it right. ... Hell I think I like it even if I don't read it right.

You've caught my spirit, friend! Bowing

Michael G.
COGITO ERGO DEVS NON EST
Find all posts by this user
04-05-2013, 08:04 AM
I am a Christian and have been debating atheists the past 10 years or so, been a Christian since 1998. I am what you might call a 'fundamentalist' who thinks the Bible means what it says and I do have a sense of humor. Smile I just came to the site to address the list of alleged contradictions for my site BereaWiki.com and figured I would answer a few here on the forum while I'm at it, as it bothered me sincere questions weren't being answered. I strongly believe alleged contradictions are simply evidence the Bible contains complex riddles that require serious study/research, reading comprehension, and creative thinking to recognize possible solutions... not to mention prayer since only God is perfectly wise and can inspire us to see some of the answers. Anyway, I like the spirit of the site here more than the Infidels list, so thought I would drop by and say hello, address a few alleged contradictions while I'm around.

My website refuting alleged contradictions will be at BereaWiki.com.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-05-2013, 05:51 AM
I am not to the forum. I joined so I could have access to others that have similar thinking.

I was raised baptist in Ohio and my family was heavily involved in te church. My father was a deacon and they "lived" by the scripture to a fault. We moved to west michigan when I was 15. This is when I started to question. By the time I was 18 I had stopped going to church and no longer believed. Due to the religious nature of my family we never discussed me leaving the church and it never became an issue. Recently I started to listen to the podcasts and decided no longer to be silent. My family does not like it but my parents and siblings at least have accepted me as long as I do not preach to them. I have been an atheist since 2001 but have now decided no longer to be silent. My wife is an atheist as well and we raise our kids with the option to choose their own beliefs or non beliefs. I am here for support of others and for support.

Thanks

Tantastic
[+] 1 user Likes tantastic1919's post
07-05-2013, 10:54 AM
(Caution, Grammer Nazi's beware: This post was not edited before sending) Hello everyone, I am a staunch atheist. My favorite free thinkers are Sam Harris and Neil DeGrass Tyson. I relate to them because they are able to relate "spiritual experience" from a non religious perspective and I believe that that can create a necessary bridge for other believers to join the growing ranks of rational thinkers.

I think I've always been a skeptic regarding religion. When I grew up going to church, I associated Sunday mornings as a social gathering where we would sing songs and go to Sunday school to learn some life skills through parables. Christmas was about Santa and Easter was about an egg laying Rabbit. Youth Group was about volunteer work and charity. I never really paid attention to the religious side of it all unit confermation.

Through confirmation I felt the same as always until the weekend after I was confirmed because we had a three day weekend retreat. I had no idea what i was getting into. This was where I was exposed to christian music, and a very strong, concentrated and authoritative message of christ, and everything that comes with it. It was a fire hose and I drank it all. I came home from that experience with jesus in my heart. Fortunately, I have always had an anylitical, crititical thinking percpective in life. After about a week I snapped out of my religious views. And through my retrospective lens I felt taken advantage of, brain washed and a kind of internal dirtiness that would only wash away with time.

Fortunately for me I was able to come to sense very quicky; but I do understand the appeal and grasp religion can have on people because of how it makes them feel.

That's all the time I have to give a very brief description of who I am, and my early experience with religion. Other than that, I am an ealy thirties, family man, qualitative market research analyst from minneapolis with some backyard chickens!
[+] 1 user Likes D-Rock's post
07-05-2013, 03:07 PM
Hi all,
I was raised non-religous by parents who had both either abandoned or been abandoned by their churches. In University, I was feeling a bit isloated when I got sick and could no longer party, and so joined some friends in visiting church (on the premise that I hadn't been for ages, and hadn't been out). I got sucked in, the speaker was awesome, talking about the love of god for you and how it never changes etc etc - something I totally needed at the time as I had low self esteem.
Turns out, the church made that worse. Eventually I had to give up my studies and leave town to escape for my own sanity, even though I stayed churched. I found really awesome church communities in the two places I next lived, in fact they were the only things that kept me going, but when I moved home, the churches I tried felt wrong.
Then the one I was trying to motivate myself into attending regularly started doing some really odd things around money, and every sermon was about trying to win new converts rather than building up the membership they already had, and I lost interest. I slept with my boyfriend and was made to feel exceedingly bad about it.
So I gave up on church. And gradually gave up on faith. And then I read the God Delusion and realised I agreed with pretty much everything Dawkins had to say about faith.
And here I am, back at the start. Devoutly Atheist, from agnostic and through evangelical, back home to peace. Such a relief!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Basketcase's post
08-05-2013, 01:51 AM
Hello all. I'm a 53 year old male atheist from Washington State. I'm a very open atheist and will talk about it with anyone that wants to. People at work know I'm atheist and ask me questions all the time.

I've been an atheist for about ten years, having gone from a non-church going believer, to agnostic, to full on atheist.

Glad to be a part of your community.

Doug

“An armed society is a polite society.” ~ Robert Heinlein
[+] 1 user Likes Pyros9's post
08-05-2013, 07:14 AM
Hello everyone. I'm an 18 year old male atheist and I live in England. I'm the only atheist in my very religious christian family and my cousin is more of an agnostic. She and a couple of my friends are the only people I can talk about religion to because the rest of get all preachy which irritates me. It's a pleasure for me to be here where I can talk to like-minded people.

Kadeem

“Once you've condoned faith in general, you've condoned any crazy shit done because of faith.” - Penn Jilette
08-05-2013, 08:41 AM
I'm perhaps proof that it's never too late to come to grips with what you really believe ... or don't believe. I'm a 61-year-young male (California) who grew up in a fundamentalist Christian family and have wrestled with my spiritual beliefs since I was a child. Still today, the vast majority of my extended family is fundamentalist, and although I haven't yet really come out of the closet about my (non)religious beliefs, I don't think there will be a lot of surprise when I do make them known (soon)[/size][/font]. Still, it wasn't till the past year or so before I got past the remaining fears of what-if-it's-true and came to the point of personally understanding and acknowledging that I really didn't believe any of it -- that there wasn't real evidence or reason for religious beliefs. Anyway, I really enjoy this forum and your comments, and look forward to learning much through it.
[+] 2 users Like galan's post
08-05-2013, 08:45 PM
I'm Marshall. I'm 17, and have been an atheist since I was about 14. I was raised as a christian, and came out to my parents on my sixteenth birthday. I've known about TheThinkingAtheist for a little over a year. I listened to the podcast all night before I came out.

If I had never found the podcast and community, I would still be going to sleep every night, fearing what my family and friends would think of me if they found out.

Thank you.
08-05-2013, 09:50 PM
Hey guys. I'm dalton. Deconverted Penecostal. Well, I guess I always knew I was full of it. Always questioning it in the back of my mind. I came out as an atheist about 3 years ago. Living in Oklahoma, it's safer to be Muslim than an atheist. I work in healthcare. Lots of Jesus freaks in healthcare. After getting cornered at work about why I wouldn't join my coworkers on Sunday mornings I said the word atheist. My boss told me it gave her chills to know I was "one of them" I got told how sorry every one was for me and they kinda avoided my for a week or so. It's gotten better. Living here though I'm still Weary about using the word aloud. Just once in a little debate with a classmate in a library I was accosted with a 20 minute anecdote about finding jesus. I can say and am lucky enough to say it has not weakened any relationship with any member of my family. My mom thinks I have no hope but some of my friends parents won't even speek to them any more so I'm very lucky. And I would like to make one bitch. I heard the words "their are no atheist in fox holes" fine, fine. I say "their are no Christians in hospitals" it really bothers me when I take care of a very sick person and they get better and start praising god. I want to scream at the end of a Code Blue and they live, and the family thanks god first. A whole room of educated, devoted, professionals and of corse, we are not the ones who saved your loved ones life it was god "god who stopped his heart in the first place" I want to yell. ok sorry for the rant. Look forward to chatting with you all. Have a good evening (oh and this my first time on a forum outside of face book so if I act like a idiot, I'm new)
-Dalton
Thread Closed